Chapala.com Webboard

Areas?

igualla

Not trying to start a war, but where is the nicest location to live in the whole area? Ajicic? Or????

What are your parameters for "nice". That would help. Otherwise, your question is purely subjective and you will get responses all over the map, all based on different definitions of "nice".

Totally dependent upon what your preferences are...

1. Do you want to mostly walk everywhere?

2. Do you want to immerse yourself in Mexican culture?

3. Do you need a mansion?

4. All of the above and many more.

"Best" is always subjective with this category of question.

Very opinionated subject. Look for yourself and try different areas. Notice that one person said Riberas is the best well I disagree. Its not about the areas but about what you want. Do your own research. Rent and live in different areas you will figure out what is right for you. Note not putting down Riberas just saying its not for me.

The nicest area to live Lakeside is the area you think is the nicest place to live. Guaranteed there will be plenty of people who disagree and agree with you. What is it you are looking for by asking the question?

Xena nailed it. Take your time, rent, walk a lot, visit areas that interest you at different times of the day and week. Think about life style, More walkable location or are you OK using the car whenever you need something? Big view important? Want to be close to village life or prefer the more suburban style of many hillside fraccs? More Mexican neighbors or fewer?

I tell people who ask me this question that one of the big pluses about living here is that there is a life style for almost everyone.

My advice would be to rent in a variety of areas over a couple of years and decide for yourself.

I also think this is the best way to get to know the various areas lakeside. If you're adventurous enough, move every 6 months. Most rentals come with furniture and trappings. We're still renting after almost 2 years and now have a feel for where we'd like to settle.

My particular recommendation: I like Riberas best of areas between Chapala and Ajijic. Country-like feel (i don't like "urban" areas), quiet, inexpensive, unpretentious. Walkable to Chapala for the "city" and malecon and restaurants. However, no night-time restaurants.

I also think this is the best way to get to know the various areas lakeside. If you're adventurous enough, move every 6 months. Most rentals come with furniture and trappings. We're still renting after almost 2 years and now have a feel for where we'd like to settle.

My particular recommendation: I like Riberas best of areas between Chapala and Ajijic. Country-like feel (i don't like "urban" areas), quiet, inexpensive, unpretentious. Walkable to Chapala for the "city" and malecon and restaurants. However, no night-time restaurants.

We've decided to settle somewhat east of Chapala for the Nature and quietude. We're content to drive into Chapala for supplies (great tianguis on Monday). Still close enough for visiting friends who are west of Chapala.

First thing to do is make a list of your priorities and then look for an area that fits what you want.

We wanted flat, big garden no pool, no second storey, close to the lake, did not care about a view, wanted to be in the village and close to stores and public transportation so we settled in Ajijic, everyone has different needs, you need to know yours before looking for an area. All locations have pluses and minuses, there is no one size fits all.

I'd say anywhere east of Ajijic - I used to love Ajijic itself (and had a condo in Villa Nova) but the congestion just got to be too much for me. More and more traffic, and development, from Ajijic to Jocotepec. I'm a view and quiet person myself, but as others say, it depends on what you like.

Archived