Chapala.com Webboard

reddy sandwiches

Starlady

We ate for the first time at Reddy's on the lateral street (parellel) to the carretara in the block west of

Buganvillas Mall. Two sandwiches, each for 55 pesos. All the meat is slow roasted for one and 1/2 days. Yum. The owner, Manuel said they will be open 9 to 9, seven days a week. Besides roast beef, they have pulled pork (the real thing), and turkey. And you can buy the meat to take home. Our new favorite sandwich shop.

Stopped by there today to order a roast beef sandwich. You can get 2 sandwiches for 88p or one for 55p.

I ordered 2 to go and got delicious au jous in a container to dip it in. Very very good!

The beef is slow roasted for 24 hours at their other restaurant in Guadalajara and delivered to Ajijic daily.

They also have turkey and pastrami and will be bringing in ribs too.

Highly recommend.

Call ahead to order at 333-401-5100

maw

Went today and got Roast Beef and Pastrami. To go. Both delicious, and the jus was superbly flavoured. Also trying a little bottle of beer that has both honey and nuts in it (got it to go, too). The cook is hilariious and his business partner is very friendly with lots of good ideas. Two personable guys and two very nice waitresses, who all appear to think the customer is everything, could make a go of it.

(By the way, those prices are 55 for a half and 88 for a whole.)

Tried it today for lunch. I had the roast beef sandwich with au jus and hubby had the Reuben, which was the same as the roast beef sandwich au jus with sauerkraut added. I thought Reubens were always made with corned beef, but Reddy's are not. It makes me wonder if their pastrami will really be pastrami as we know it. We also split the chili cheese nachos.

We were expecting something spectacular after reading the above reviews. Not so. They were good sandwiches, but nothing I'd develop a craving for. There were more carmelized onions and tomatoes on them than roast beef. And, the roast beef was pulled, not sliced. The au jus was delicious, though, with a wonderful hint of rosemary.

As for the nachos, don't even bother. The chili had a lot of chipotle in it (which I like, but not in my chili) so it tasted more like a barbecue sauce than chili. The store bought round tortilla chips were served in a bowl on the side and there were no jalapeños. This dish should be renamed to "a plate of chili and some chips."

I will go back to try the pulled pork and turkey sandwiches before dismissing this as a bust.

Tried it today for lunch. I had the roast beef sandwich with au jus and hubby had the Reuben, which was the same as the roast beef sandwich au jus with sauerkraut added. I thought Reubens were always made with corned beef, but Reddy's are not. It makes me wonder if their pastrami will really be pastrami as we know it. We also split the chili cheese nachos.

We were expecting something spectacular after reading the above reviews. Not so. They were good sandwiches, but nothing I'd develop a craving for. There were more carmelized onions and tomatoes on them than roast beef. And, the roast beef was pulled, not sliced. The au jus was delicious, though, with a wonderful hint of rosemary.

As for the nachos, don't even bother. The chili had a lot of chipotle in it (which I like, but not in my chili) so it tasted more like a barbecue sauce than chili. The store bought round tortilla chips were served in a bowl on the side and there were no jalapeños. This dish should be renamed to "a plate of chili and some chips."

I will go back to try the pulled pork and turkey sandwiches before dismissing this as a bust.

I agree with your review. After reading the rave reviews I could not wait to get there. I had the rubin which was not made with corned beef and was not good at all. My wife had the pulled pork which was too sweet for her taste. For 88 pesos the sandwiches should have at least come with a bag of chips ( $7USD) Anyway, this is typical of a new place. At first the reviews are glowing and then reality sets in !

Not sure I would call my "review" raving. My sandwiches were delicious, as was the jus. But with good bread, lettuce and tomato, plus tasty meat, it's pretty hard not to make a yummy sandwich. Does this mean these were fantastic or spectacular? No. Good, yes.

• 4 months later...

Basic designer sandwiches with their own style and definition. Not a classic reuben at all, but then again, it was what it was. I don't expect to get great mex in New York or Chicago... strike that, yes you can. Last I drove by, the gate in front of Reddy's was closed up and the sign is down... Gone?

• 1 month later...

As long as we're bringing this thread back, I'd speculate that they failed because they were too expensive and they didn't advertise or offer anything special to draw people in. I went with my adult kids in March to get their honey-nut beer and they didn't have any in the cooler. And those friendly owners were nowhere in sight.

Upon reflection, I'd have to say any 6-inch sub at Subway, on their fresh choices of bread, at $29p every day for their specials, is a much better deal... they taste just as good to me as the Reddy's I had.

One thing I've noticed about restaurants opening around here: if they are really good, the word spreads fast.

Even if they are situated on obscure streets, in unlovely premises, they get a following. If they are bad or just mediocre, word also spreads quickly. Grandiose advertising and special offers will get people in, but whether they return depends on the experience the diner has. If they do return, it had better be consistently good, not just sometimes.......or they'll go where they can count on getting their moneys worth. That's retailing 101. Merchants of all kinds succeed or fail that course. Looks like Reddy failed, even though there were positive words in anticipation of their opening. R.I. P. Reddy.

Archived