Chapala.com Webboard

Hot Sheet Motels

stuphel

(Started this as a new topic, as it's way down on a previous thread and I don't think anyone's read it.)

Have always heard about these motels, but haven't stayed in them. I heard that, for some reason, once you're in the grounds, you're in until you check out. I wondered how people walked their dogs, and let them do their thing, in that case.

Can you leave the grounds and go to dinner, for example, or do you need to use their room service? Is it ok to walk dogs inside their grounds, (scooping, of course) or can you leave to go somewhere else to walk them in the town?

We are interested in going to the one in Matehuala that has been described in another thread. We do know of places in the town where we can walk our dogs during the 12 hours or so that we'd be there.

The one on the north side of Matehuala will let you go out to dinner and walk your dogs. It's very clean and well-run and I think is 400p per night. Last time I was there I was pulling a trailer and couldn't fit in the garage, so they let me park in front of the office so they could keep an eye on truck and trailer. Very nice people!

I've stayed at a few, mainly because they are very inexpensive and super clean. I've never heard that you can't leave, lol. I've gone out for food and blah-blah, although part of the attraction is they will bring the food to you. The concept is no one wants to be seen, so why bother going out? I can also say that two guys trying to get a room can be refused... .

Have stayed at the one in Monterrey just in town on Hwy 57 as you leave the north end of bypass. It is quite clean and very secure. The rate was good and the weather was lousy. You can come and go. The only entrance passes through the office drive-in-window. I have also been turned down at others for a "whole night" when business was good with the three hour rentals. Other than the mirrors on ceiling and headboard wall it is just fine.

Before the roads improved so much we could make it to the border in 10 hours, we used to stay on the return trip from Texas in a NoTell in San Luis Potosi. It was great because our car packed full of stuff was safely in a garage. It was clean and comfortable and very reasonable.

Thanks to many road improvements, we now drive to McAllen, TX in a day and stay at the TravelLodge there before going on to DFW. On the return trip, we stay at the same place, leave at first light and arrive here before 6 PM with plenty of light to spare.

Last time I was at the no-tell motel in Matehuala, they gave me a key to get back into my room when I returned from dinner. Ask for a key before leaving or if walking your dog so you can get back into your room. They are very nice people.

Last time I was at the no-tell motel in Matehuala, they gave me a key to get back into my room when I returned from dinner. Ask for a key before leaving or if walking your dog so you can get back into your room. They are very nice people.

I think if you want a room for the night they will give it to you Sun. to Thurs. at their cheap advertised outside on the sign rate, usually about $300 to $350 pesos, however on Fri. and Sat. they will not, only for 3 or 4 hours at their cheap rate and will not even give you a room for the night at any rate.

Have stayed at the one in Monterrey just in town on Hwy 57 as you leave the north end of bypass. It is quite clean and very secure. The rate was good and the weather was lousy. You can come and go. The only entrance passes through the office drive-in-window. I have also been turned down at others for a "whole night" when business was good with the three hour rentals. Other than the mirrors on ceiling and headboard wall it is just fine.

Isn't that the whole point of these motels? <hides>

I've stayed in 3 different ones. None of them gave you a key to the room so I was reluctant to drive out to eat unless I emptied the room.

I think if you want a room for the night they will give it to you Sun. to Thurs. at their cheap advertised outside on the sign rate, usually about $300 to $350 pesos, however on Fri. and Sat. they will not, only for 3 or 4 hours at their cheap rate and will not even give you a room for the night at any rate.

Eek. Has anyone else had this experience?

Our schedule has us in Matehuala on a Saturday night. Do we need to try to shift it so that we arrive on Sunday instead?

Stay at the regular hotel Las Palmas in Matehuala. Its not that much more money and they take animals and are secure with your vehicle items.

Leave the hot sheet hotels for the other towns while traveling. Just two weeks ago we overnighted in Saltillo where there are several on the outskirts of town around the industrial park. We opted for one with a hotel section which rate was $600 pesos. I am sure there are many more into town we just chose not to go into town and I know there is a Holiday express in Saltillo. Even in Monclova closer to the border there were 5 or 6 new hotels on the thru town route.

I can imagine most hotels for love would not want to give you keys or want you coming and going since they are for short term stays and they serve their own food and you pay up front.

I've never had trouble not being able to leave the room. Managers are usually happy to accommodate you. If you stay at Las Palmas request to stay on the north side of the site. The rooms are cheaper. Don't believe them when they tell you they have wi-fi in those rooms. They don't have a repeater for the wi-fi so the signal doesn't reach the complete length of the property. But the computer in the lobby is free.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gathering and need info. on hotels/motels half-way from Laredo to Chapala.

Which motel is recommended? One adult and 1 small dog. We need a place with a secure lot for the stuff we're carrying.

It obviously needs to be clean and have access to wi-fi.

Median price is fine.

They are ALL secure and super-clean. Find any one of them and it will be fine. Wifi? Kinda doubt it... the places are built for "something else". Pets? Again, considering the main objective of the places, I dunno...

These places are inexpensive because they only offer the basics: a clean bed, a good shower, and privacy.

Good point here. Make sure the price is for an overnight stay.We got woken by phone at 4am at one Motel, they informed us that our time was up! So I had to meet the guy at our door and hand money over for another 4 hours worth. It was annoying but amusing too.

But that said, we love the Motels. The are spotless, food (and toys) can be ordered and delivered via a rotating hatch thing. Our car is secure. I usually try to ask for the deluxe room, with mirrored ceiling, Jacuzzi and vibrating bed. - Why not!

Eagles,

For your listed requirements, I'd suggest Las Palmas in Matehuala. Around $75, decent restaurant (though there are restaurants nearby), most rooms have wifi, but there is wifi in the lobby if yours doesn't. Covered parking beside your room, so your stuff in the car is safe, grounds to walk around in. They advertise that they don't take pets, but they've always allowed us to bring our dog (Ist time) and then dogs (2nd time.) They tend to give you one of a specific row of rooms if you have a pet, where the carpet and furniture is a little more worn. Fair enough.

It used to be a fancy motel (and still thinks it is) but it's a little faded. Perfectly fine, though.

You can make online reservations in advance. Chances are, if you don't, they'll have plenty of space anyway. At least they have had, the last 2 times we've stayed there. About 5 hours drive from Lake Chapala or Laredo.

Eagles,

For your listed requirements, I'd suggest Las Palmas in Matehuala. Around $75, decent restaurant (though there are restaurants nearby), most rooms have wifi, but there is wifi in the lobby if yours doesn't. Covered parking beside your room, so your stuff in the car is safe, grounds to walk around in. They advertise that they don't take pets, but they've always allowed us to bring our dog (Ist time) and then dogs (2nd time.) They tend to give you one of a specific row of rooms if you have a pet, where the carpet and furniture is a little more worn. Fair enough.

It used to be a fancy motel (and still thinks it is) but it's a little faded. Perfectly fine, though.

You can make online reservations in advance. Chances are, if you don't, they'll have plenty of space anyway. At least they have had, the last 2 times we've stayed there. About 5 hours drive from Lake Chapala or Laredo.

Las Palmas now has rooms for pets and if you make a reservation you'll have no problem. The do have someone to answer the phone in English.

The covered parking is just that. Covered and in no way is it secure.

The room is not clean but dingy and somewhat clean. The bed I had, had dog urine on the side of the bedspread. Not very pleasant but the dog was happy.

Archived