Chapala.com Webboard

TRAFFIC NIGHTMARE

Beware if you are planning on traveling west on the Carretera from Walmart. I just came home from Walmart.  All traffic coming down the Libramiento and turning west onto the Carretera can only use the new lane. Traffic making the right turn must go on the lateral.  There were a lot of police and cars at that point.  I saw a bus going with the crowd down the lateral.  Traffic on the Carretera was the usual stop and go.  Mostly stopped.  The next big problem was the light at Upper Floresta.  Traffic was piling up there.  There were two policemen there making sure that both lanes went according to the lights.  The traffic in the lateral has until they get to the gas station to get into the Carretera.  I live in Upper Ajijic and I would normally turn up Revolucion.  Not today.  People who come down Revolucion are in for a surprise when they get to the Carretera, especially if they want to turn left.   Time will tell how this works out.

If you can only use new lane from Libramiento, how do you turn into Walmart ?  Is there still a light to let you turn into Walmart from new lateral road?  Is the old section closed?  Need to go to Walmart early tomorrow coming from Libramiento.

30 minutes ago, ibarra said:

If you can only use new lane from Libramiento, how do you turn into Walmart ?  Is there still a light to let you turn into Walmart from new lateral road?  Is the old section closed?  Need to go to Walmart early tomorrow coming from Libramiento.

Go straight into Walmart from Libramiento which has been permited for a while... just be careful crossing the lateral.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The way I would go to Walmart coming down the Libramiento is make a left turn on to the Carretera.  Go east and make the first right turn down.  Go a short distance down and turn right.  You are now heading west.  Drive straight ahead up the hill and go straight and make a left turn into Walmart.

However, I agree with Ferret, only people arriving from the west are allowed to shop at Walmart.    Guess where I live.

1 hour ago, Floradude said:

The way I would go to Walmart coming down the Libramiento is make a left turn on to the Carretera.  Go east and make the first right turn down.  Go a short distance down and turn right.  You are now heading west.  Drive straight ahead up the hill and go straight and make a left turn into Walmart.

However, I agree with Ferret, only people arriving from the west are allowed to shop at Walmart.    Guess where I live.

By doingwhat you suggest you would be driving in the wrong direction on the frontage street which is a traffic violation. 

1aaaaa.JPG

• Thanks 3

on a related note, there was discussion here and elsewhere about turning left onto the libramiento from the eastbound lanes. Several people noted that while there was still a left turn arrow, the sign saying left turn only on arrow was gone, so maybe one could turn left after the arrow if there was no oncoming traffic. I did this last Sunday morning and got a ticket for failure to obey the turn signal, FYI.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Floradude said:

Your map (picture) is on the wrong side of the carretera.   

Not from the way you described it in earlier post.  You said ".... Go east and make the first right turn down.  Go a short distance down and turn right.  You are now heading west.  Drive straight ahead up the hill and go straight and make a left turn into Walmart. "    That IS in fact a one-way heading EAST..... and those coming up that little hill are going against what is one way.  By entering Walmart at very first right, you re ALSO contravening one-way rule, becasue that is supposed to be an exit only..

• Like 1

Arrows on the road PLUS signs that say "do not enter" would be delightful additions... so would speed limit signs although I admit it's hard to go 40 km/hr on the highway into Ajijic with the stop and go traffic. The intersection at the Walmart is a mess and getting worse. Walmart delivery service, on the other hand, is delightful.

13 minutes ago, Floradude said:

OK!   What is the correct and legal way that a person coming down the Libramiento goes to Walmart?

As I posted earlier  Go straight into Walmart from Libramiento which has been permited for a while... just be careful crossing the lateral.

Mostlylost, the light ONLY indicates that you turn left or right NOT STRAIGHT AHEAD. WTF?

I can only tell you the two ways that I have been doing it when I absolutely HAVE to go there. Since I am arriving from the east, I turn right into the lateral that goes in front of HSBC then a right going up into the Laguna Mall parking lot and around to the left until I get to the sign that says exit (salida). From there, I turn left onto the libramiento and keep to the right hand side which is one lane to enter the feed to the carretera. That feed is wide enough for two lanes and should be marked as such with lane lines and arrows (on the asphalt)... the left lane for entering Walmart and the right lane for turning onto the carretera. Wait in your left lane until the appropriate light changes and move forward over the carretera and onto the road that runs to the west side of the automotive parts store. Crossing the highway is the hard part because people insist on blocking what is, in essence, an intersection. Drives me nuts all over town that people do this.

The second way is to keep to your right coming off the Libramiento, turn right (when allowed)onto the carretera then turn left at the first opportunity in La Floresta and loop back onto the carretera and turn right into the Walmart parking lot down the road beside the auto parts store.

Either way it's a freaking nightmare of inconvenience.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Then the person in charge should change the light to show "straight ahead arrow" and "turn left arrow" AND remove the "turn right arrow" which totally negates the need for the off ramp from the libramiento. This is not rocket science.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ferret said:

....This is not rocket science.

...but it IS Mexico.

I too have just been going " straight across" but those pavement 'bumps' are still there. And I surely look for lateral traffic and pedestrians and....

I see NO indications that this is legal, but...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unless they're removed the sign up high,  yes there is.  It has arrows pointing LEFT but definitely shows NO for straight ahead.

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

....... can only tell you the two ways that I have been doing it when I absolutely HAVE to go there. Since I am arriving from the east, I turn right into the lateral that goes in front of HSBC then a right going up into the Laguna.....

Ferret it took me a while to figure it out, but in fact there IS an easier way for you.  Go straight thru at actual light exactly at Walmart.  Immediately put your left turn signal on ( and stick your arm out as well).  You are allowed to turn left into that same lane on far side of AuroZone as long as traffic coming has space or someone lets you in.   Ashamed to say I used to blow my horn at people who did this until I realized there's NO sign there prohibiting left turns off carretera there.

THAT SAID,  have not been there since this weekend's trial by fire, so................

Turning left at the light by Auto Zone is almost impossible.  There is usually way too much traffic coming from the West to actually be able to turn into Walmart.  I have tried that several times and had to wait until light turned red to make the turn. The only time I can do that successfully is early morning around 8-8:30.

• Like 1

Natasha,  yes I could turn left off the carretera but the sound of horns and the screams from the driver's behind me gave me pause. LOL. At the next opportunity to turn left and loop back, there is at least room for cars to move around me.

1 hour ago, ibarra said:

Natasha, I must be blind.  Can't see a "sign up high" that restricts entrance.  Maybe someone can submit a photo of this sign.

If it's still there, it's the kind  🚳     ... with arrows where this bicycle is........ not a worded sign.  Don't take cell when out locally so pix won't come from me.

For a variety of reasons we no longer have a car and take taxis. (Our doctor said the world is a safer place without my husband driving) it's a bit scary but taxi drivers dart in and out and wave at other drivers. I close my eyes but we get places alot faster.

• Haha 2