Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone else notice this?

There is no longer a sign at the Walmart intersection indicating left hand from east bound on the Carretera to the Libremiento is permitted with the green arrow only.  In the absence of that restriction theoretically left on green is permitted if there is no oncoming traffic.

Thoughts?  Comments?

I saw that, too. But it came down right after they were working on the intersection (I think for the repaired traffic cameras) so I wondered if they just forgot to put it back up.

Traffic signs in Mexico are suggestions.  A couple of weeks ago when coming into Ajijic from the West the car behind me crossed into the oncoming traffic lane  and the ciclopista and jumped onto the sidewalk for a couple of blocks then jumped back into the carretera just before Juarez.  Maybe they had diarrhea.

23 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

There is no longer a sign at the Walmart intersection indicating left hand from east bound on the Carretera to the Libremiento is permitted with the green arrow only.  In the absence of that restriction theoretically left on green is permitted if there is no oncoming traffic.

Thoughts?  Comments?

What sign you referring too? This one that Google Translates to "turn with arrow" (vuelta con flecha) to me makes no sense...  Does not say "only", does it??

I have never understood before why drivers would sit there on a green light when there would be no Westbound traffic.

left.png

EDIT: I just had a CRAZY thought...

That sign is in the RH lane, maybe on a green arrow, that lane is allowed to turn if they so like?????

A bit more digging and I see "it could" mean turn only on arrow...

I found the "Left turn only" sign and then with those words could be construed as 'left turn only' - 'turn with arrow', maybe Mexicanos know it is implied?

I added the other sign just to confirm what is said here... You are in Mexico, you do not have to pay attention to them.  🙄

signs.png

Let me know how that works out for you when you're sitting in jail for having caused an accident with injury.

Vuelta con flecha. Turn WITH arrow. If there's no arrow, you can't turn. Period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Let me know how that works out for you when you're sitting in jail for having caused an accident with injury.

Vuelta con flecha. Turn WITH arrow. If there's no arrow, you can't turn. Period.

Like I said, if you are Mexicano, you probably understand it... And the same goes for the "Left Turn Only" sign (that is in the right lane)... you SHOULD NOT go straight... well?

That whole intersection is a death trap. Now when you're coming down the libramiento to TURN LEFT to go east on the carretera, there is not only a "turn left" arrow, there is ALSO a "turn right" arrow. And people use it too instead of the ramp to go to the right. Speaking of the ramp, they should have a solid RED signal (not a red arrow) to stop people from making the turn. A very expensive sports car nearly creamed me last Saturday because he just couldn't wait his turn.  I leaned on my horn and the air turned BLUE in my car and I didn't stop swearing until the next set of lights.

• Like 1