Chapala.com Webboard

Rather astounding Handy Mail Price Increase

Mainecoons

We have used Handymail some 14 years now, and while there have been some price increases during that time, the latest is in a class by itself, more than 50 percent at one time.  At the same time the current operators of this service have steadily cut services, shortened hours and raised fees for things like sending a letter out, which was cut in frequency from twice per week to once.  These are also defacto rate increases.

Their claim there have been no prior rate increases for 18 years is false.  I am guessing they think they can get away with that claim because they have few very long term customers like us.

We receive just a handful of mail per year, at the new rate the average cost of their service per piece of mail would exceed $10 per piece.

I know of two alternatives:  IShop, where boxes are expensive but can be shared.  And Sol y Luna, the current charges of which I am checking on.  For certain this service from Handy Mail has been priced beyond its value to us so we are looking for an alternative after the first of the year.

Any departing Handymail customers who would like to share a box at IShop or who have found better options, please let us know here or via message.

Thanks.

You are not required to rent a box at iShop in order to recelive your mail through them or use their service(s).

You get their address in Laredo and the specific ID number for the either of the local offices, and then use it like your own.  When the mail/packages come they won't go into a specific mail box, you just ask at the counter (mail from Laredo) and pay a relatively small fee, which I don't remember specifically, but certainly less than $10 for a letter.

I've found them to be quite reliable, friendly and helpful.

If you want to send or receive packages, perhaps you can have that done cheaper at one of the other services?

• Like 1

Receiving a small package from Amazon U.S. or from Amazon Mexico or from Mercado Libre costs 30 pesos at iShop. I don't have anything going through Laredo for those transactions. My name and c/o iShop plus their address works just fine for that 30 pesos. Larger or heavier packages cost 50 pesos each. Sending NOB is expensive from just about anywhere in Mexico if timing is important and you want to be able to track it.

• Like 1

We use Ishop Laredo address for many packages from Amazon.com that don't ship to MX during the year.  We do not have an Ishop box.  Usually our packages are quite heavy and we have been charged between 800 and 2000 pesos to receive them.  We send Ishop the tracking information by email for the delivery to their Laredo location, usually it is a USPS number.  They call us when the package arrives lakeside which is usually about 2 weeks after delivery to Laredo.  We have used this service at Ishop for many years without any problems.  All other Amazon.com purchases that will ship to MX are delivered to our home in Brisas de Chapala.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

ibarra, when you ship to Laredo, isn't a good portion of the iShop charge the customs charge?

Ferret, I don't ask for a breakdown, just pay what they ask.  It is less expensive and less hassle than what I used to do by going to Laredo by bus every year and a half or so.     But, here is a quote that I found that, hopefully, will help with your question:  

Customs Regulations

Last published date: 2023-11-05

...Goods coming from the United States valued at USD 50 or less will not be charged duties or taxes. Goods valued from USD 50 to USD 117 will be charged a 17 percent tax but will not be charged duties...

Resources

Mexican National Customs Agency (ANAM) Helpline

Tel: +1 844 549 7885

facilitacion@sat.gob.mx

Tax Administration Service (SAT)

Tel: +52 55 6272 2728 (from the United States)

www.sat.gob.mx/personas/comercio-exterior

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, NEWMtnMama said:

Keep in mind that you can have up to 5 names (maybe households) per box at iShop.

For me, the issue is the weight limit.  For a small box, the weight limit is 4 pounds  and I have no idea how much the magazines I receive weigh - but guessing 3 or 4 pounds - so not shareable except for someone who gets an occasional letter.

Note - banks do consider ISHOP to be a commercial mail address - same as HandyMail - and they are starting to reject these addresses - as US banks want a US residential address for recourse - 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ibarra said:

We use Ishop Laredo address for many packages from Amazon.com that don't ship to MX during the year.  We do not have an Ishop box.  Usually our packages are quite heavy and we have been charged between 800 and 2000 pesos to receive them.  We send Ishop the tracking information by email for the delivery to their Laredo location, usually it is a USPS number.  They call us when the package arrives lakeside which is usually about 2 weeks after delivery to Laredo.  We have used this service at Ishop for many years without any problems.  All other Amazon.com purchases that will ship to MX are delivered to our home in Brisas de Chapala.  

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

ibarra, when you ship to Laredo, isn't a good portion of the iShop charge the customs charge?

41 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Ferret, I don't ask for a breakdown, just pay what they ask.  It is less expensive and less hassle than what I used to do by going to Laredo by bus every year and a half or so.     But, here is a quote that I found that, hopefully, will help with your question:  

Customs Regulations

Last published date: 2023-11-05

...Goods coming from the United States valued at USD 50 or less will not be charged duties or taxes. Goods valued from USD 50 to USD 117 will be charged a 17 percent tax but will not be charged duties...

Resources

Mexican National Customs Agency (ANAM) Helpline

Tel: +1 844 549 7885

facilitacion@sat.gob.mx

Tax Administration Service (SAT)

Tel: +52 55 6272 2728 (from the United States)

www.sat.gob.mx/personas/comercio-exterior

This is why I try to avoid going through the Laredo iShop address. Whatever THEY decide at the border is what you're going to pay unless a receipt is provided IN ADVANCE to SHOW what you actually paid. You can provide that receipt to iShop. Had a friend who got burned on duty when she had bought the product at a 50% discount. Not saying it happens to everybody just to be warned. It is one of the reasons that I only buy products from Amazon U.S. that can be shipped to Mexico. I know up front what the shipping and extra charges are. Plus, if that charge is too much, they refund you the overage. Whatever works for the individual.

30 minutes ago, Ferret said:

This is why I try to avoid going through the Laredo iShop address. Whatever THEY decide at the border is what you're going to pay unless a receipt is provided IN ADVANCE to SHOW what you actually paid. You can provide that receipt to iShop. Had a friend who got burned on duty when she had bought the product at a 50% discount. Not saying it happens to everybody just to be warned. It is one of the reasons that I only buy products from Amazon U.S. that can be shipped to Mexico. I know up front what the shipping and extra charges are. Plus, if that charge is too much, they refund you the overage. Whatever works for the individual.

The iShop folks said if there isn't a receipt, the customs agent looks online and uses the highest price. Learned that the hard way. Now I forward the receipt as soon as I get it to iShop customer service.

• Like 1

We have been buying a lot from Amazon US...Amazon includes the duty in the charge... We have used Handy Mail for over 6 years and have been happy with the service. The increase may be a bit of a jump but what doesn't cost more? Imail is over $400 a year which is a bit much for me...

• Like 1

You do NOT have to have a box with iShop to use them as I have described for receiving packages. I do not have a box with them. Pay as you go. When I occasionally have a new debit or credit card for my Canadian bank account, I have my stepson send it only via Fedex. He pays and I reimburse his bank account the approximately 100 Canadian dollar charge. He sends it directly to iShop's address in San Antonio Tlayacapan and I pay 30 pesos for the envelope about two days later. Fedex is the only courier service that I use for important stuff.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LarryA said:

You are not required to rent a box at iShop in order to recelive your mail through them or use their service(s).

You get their address in Laredo and the specific ID number for the either of the local offices, and then use it like your own.  When the mail/packages come they won't go into a specific mail box, you just ask at the counter (mail from Laredo) and pay a relatively small fee, which I don't remember specifically, but certainly less than $10 for a letter.

I've found them to be quite reliable, friendly and helpful.

If you want to send or receive packages, perhaps you can have that done cheaper at one of the other services?

This is great information, thanks.  How do you know when something comes?

We don't have packages sent from the U.S. unless it is Amazon using their very reasonable international package service.  We get one magazine and the rest is letter mail.  Sorry, but I see nothing reasonable about a 50 percent increase in one year at HandyMail to nearly $400 per year.  We will definitely be moving to the piece mail service at IShop when our year runs out or maybe Sol y Luna, to which we can walk from our house.

Thanks to everyone for great feedback.  Much appreciated!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

This is great information, thanks.  How do you know when something comes?

We send Ishop an email alerting them that a package will be delivered to Laredo. When we see via Amazon site that package has been delivered, we send Ishop tracking number. We give them our phone number and they call when package is received lakeside.

If you are going to be receiving letters and magazine, just alert them and tell them how to contact you (phone, Whatsapp, email).

• Like 3

Another aspect of changing services is changing from the US address you currently have for one of the lakeside services to another service that provides a new US address in Laredo.  This may prove to be difficult.

This can be done online.   However, USPS requires a cell phone number to be provided as part of the verification process.   A Mx cph # is not accepted.

The change of address form is no longer available online to print out and send in, you must pick it up at a USPS site, complete it, and then provide IDs and CPH.. when returning the form.

If something is being missed here, please advise.   Feel free to send a PM if you've been through the process successfully.  Thanks

On 11/23/2023 at 11:15 AM, NEWMtnMama said:

The iShop folks said if there isn't a receipt, the customs agent looks online and uses the highest price. Learned that the hard way. Now I forward the receipt as soon as I get it to iShop customer service.

There is always a shipping slip in each Amazon package. It states the item ordered and the price. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ibarra said:

There is always a shipping slip in each Amazon package. It states the item ordered and the price. 

Sometimes there is a packing slip. I just got a package from Laredo from WOOT - an affiliate of Amazon - with no slip. Also unfortunately small package in a big box so shipping was very expensive. 

2 hours ago, ibarra said:

Now that's interesting because I have never, ever received a shipping slip in any Amazon package that I have received. Not from Amazon U.S. or Amazon Mexico.

14 hours ago, ibarra said:

The invoices are loose in the packages (not in the packaging around the item, but in the Amazon box or envelope), are about 3"x3" in size and, have been in every package we have received since we have lived lakeside, which is 17 years.  I have many invoices saved. When we lived in the State of Sonora, we received the same invoices in those packages as the ones we receive here.

2 minutes ago, ibarra said:

The invoices are loose in the packages (not in the packaging around the item, but in the Amazon box or envelope), are about 3"x3" in size and, have been in every package we have received since we have lived lakeside, which is 17 years.  I have many invoices saved. When we lived in the State of Sonora, we received the same invoices in those packages as the ones we receive here.

We have 17 of these small white receipts saved just from deliveries to us in 2023.  They are easy to miss in the package as they are loose, like Ibarra said.  

• Thanks 1