Chapala.com Webboard

IMBurnen

Pleasantly surprised to find Casa Domenech on Zaragosa 109 (plenty of parking nearby) with it's quaint, artistic interior and warm welcome. The food was superior: My friend ate the huge something or other Maison, while I had the more rational and even better omelette with Spanish ham and Mancheco cheese-topped with fresh avocados and lots of tomatoes on the side. The interesting family owners bring influences from France, Argentina, Spain, Norway and Japan!! Yes, that and more. They are open 9-5 except Mondays and for dinner reservations call 332-258-2031. The owner showed us some of the specials planned for the Independence Day celebrations in September (on the night of the 15th and lunch on the 16th) so call ahead. Also, she has book lined shelves (a la MaGaNa) to loan to readers, so it's a comfortable and pleasant atmosphere.

Dinner is served on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights. The place is quite small so I think making a reservation is the best thing. On the days they do not offer dinner they are open until 5:00pm. On Wed, Fri and Sat they close for a couple of hours in the afternoon and then reopen for the dinner service. The mother is from Mexico and her son was born and grew up in Argentina and have lived in the US and other places. They are both very charming. When they are busy you can play Mexican Bingo, called Loteria, which is fun, helps the time go by quickly, win prizes, and improve your Spanish. 

"the huge something or other Maison" is the specialty of the house -- is a Croque de la Maison. It's a like a croque monsieur type sandwich from France topped with a sunny-side up egg. 

k2tog, things have changed.

Earlier this month they've changed their horario and are only open until 5:00, per their Facebook page (Casa Domenech Ajijic). Hours are Tues-Sat 9-5 and Sunday 9-3.

Ray is now doing culinary tours to Guadalajara restaurants in the evenings, as well as short trips, with a trip to Mazamitla on August 29-31. On Facebook, see "Burritours and travels."

• 2 weeks later...

Or, Tom, do you mean that you are willing to create a situation that will cause other potential customers to avoid that restaurant, thereby causing a loss of business for the owner?

Tom, you spend enough time on this board to know that anything involving dogs in restaurants is not a simple question. Both Gringal and RV are correct. It is against the law and asking puts the owner in an awkward position. This is a small place with a few tables. Anyone who can not possibly dine without their dog being present should select another place. This would be courteous to other diners. If you do want to ask the owner to break the law do so in person so as not to cause him a preemptive loss of business. Someone may be there once a month with a dog but many people, knowing dogs are allowed, will never even try the restaurant. It is an untenable situation for the restaurant owner.

26 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

I believe that law states that no dogs are allowed in the food preparation area.

We beat this subject to death earlier, and finally came up with the words of the law itself.  Please don't lead us down this path again.  It just gets contentious and no hearts and minds are changed by the dispute. 

I just searched the files and here's the one where the health dept. law was cited:

...For those who are interestedin what thelaw is, here goes......courtesy of Tony Burton todayon the Mexconnect forum. http://www.salud.gob.mx/unidades/cdi/nom/093ssa14.html Pertinent clauses: 5.2.8 and 5.8.6 Summary: nodogs , except guidedogs ,in restaurants . It's up to the individual whether...

Tom's question is more, "Do they have outside tables" such as Goshas where dogs are allowed at the outside seating area.  I'm guessing.

Then Tom should have asked the question that was his question. I am not wading back through all this again but as I recall the law includes "where food is served" which includes outdoor seating. It does not matter how we interpret the law. What matters is putting restaurant owners in the fight between customers who insist on bringing their dogs to restaurants and those who refuse to patronize restaurants that ever allow a dog where people eat. BTW, I fall into neither category but hate that the restaurant owners get punished by one group for not breaking the law or by the other group because they do.

1 hour ago, mhopkins2 said:

Tom's question is more, "Do they have outside tables" such as Goshas where dogs are allowed at the outside seating area.  I'm guessing.

No need to guess.  The answer was posted by K2tog above: 

" The place is quite small so I think making a reservation is the best thing. "  After that, another posted about it being a small place.

Dog lovers special: for a place that has outside dining and is usually filled with dogs wandering in and out, along with patrons parking their dogs on the seats as well as under the tables, the Ajijic plaza restaurant next to the Cultural Center should fill the bill nicely.  The food's good, too.  Had chicken fajitas there yesterday.  Lots of dogs.  Lots of smokers, too.  Best to avoid sitting downwind and maybe wipe off the seat before lowering yourself into it.   I sit inside the restaurant itself when possible.  No smokers, no dogs and no hordes of kids selling vegetables.  :rolleyes:

Archived