Chapala.com Webboard

7 off-leash dogs mauled my elderly dog.

Serenity6

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She knew he was from the states because he was speaking Lithuanian without a Canadian accent. Sheesh.

I know what you should have tattooed on your forehead.

That's ridiculous, and your post might lead some to think that you think it's okay to let 7 unleashed dogs attack another dog and that the victim's owner is a fool.

Say it isn't so.

Kiko, I went to the site but there was no schedule. Is this market every day, or on certain days? Are some days, such as a Saturday, better than others as more vendors are likely to come out?

The Mercado Libre has some good looking tasers, but they are all a bit short. I was hoping to find a baton taser with a longer reach so I don't have to get so close to the dog/crazed human, such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Streetwise-Security-Products-Barbarian-Flashlight/dp/B00G2THC8G/ref=sr_1_22?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1453567348&sr=1-22&keywords=tasers.

I am pretty sure if I bought that in the US and tried to fly it in, it would either be removed from my check-in luggage at the US airport upon departure, or upon entry in MX if my bags were searched. Am I correct on that?

They aren't illegal in Mexico but to avoid disputes with customs, do you know anyone driving down? U.S. security could be a problem.

I tried a few on Amazon but so far none ship here.

The Libertad market is huge and open every day. It could take you 4 days to walk through the whole market.

This one on Mercadolibre is long. Ask the vendors if they sell some that are longer. If they are too long, you lose control over it.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-531539699-baston-tactico-18-paralizador-stun-7mv-para-defensa-personal-_JM

The core problem is the sheer number of dogs.

In most urban areas in the US there is a limit on the number of dogs per house. Usually it's 4.

My neighbor in Guadalajara started collecting strays,she now has about 15 in her cochera,the neighbor in front of us has two pit bulls on her roof,the neighbor to the right of us has a yapper on her terraza,behind us there is a pendeja with a puppy mill,they are all single Mexican women and their dogs bark constantly at anything or anyone that passes by.

I used to like dogs,not anymore...

Kiko, I went to the site but there was no schedule. Is this market every day, or on certain days? Are some days, such as a Saturday, better than others as more vendors are likely to come out?

The Mercado Libre has some good looking tasers, but they are all a bit short. I was hoping to find a baton taser with a longer reach so I don't have to get so close to the dog/crazed human, such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Streetwise-Security-Products-Barbarian-Flashlight/dp/B00G2THC8G/ref=sr_1_22?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1453567348&sr=1-22&keywords=tasers.

I am pretty sure if I bought that in the US and tried to fly it in, it would either be removed from my check-in luggage at the US airport upon departure, or upon entry in MX if my bags were searched. Am I correct on that?

have a tasar. It will not hurt unless you press it to skin but the noise makes dogs run off. I bought it at Upscale Bazar, but was told they were at the Wed tiangui. Have had several occasions to use it and it always works for me

My neighbor in Guadalajara started collecting strays,she now has about 15 in her cochera,the neighbor in front of us has two pit bulls on her roof,the neighbor to the right of us has a yapper on her terraza,behind us there is a pendeja with a puppy mill,they are all single Mexican women and their dogs bark constantly at anything or anyone that passes by.

I used to like dogs,not anymore...

I have 8 dogs which includes three street dogs that I did not intentionally get. People ask me if I am a dog lover. I say, "I was until I got all these dogs."

GoldenBead: Yes, vet did mention that the noise alone is pretty frightening to a dog. I'd imagine also to a human. Whip that thing out, give your potential attacker a quick demo, and they will reconsider their plan of attack.

My recently departed dog had a very soft personality but noises never phased him. Gunshots, fireworks, whatever, he was steady as a rock...except for arcing electricity! My poor brave boy would stay in the house and let his bladder explode before he would walk past the bug zapper hanging by the back door. To the best of my knowledge he had never been on the receiving end of an electrical shock but he sure seemed to know that it was something that he did not want to experience.

I just spoke to the owner who magnanimously offered to come walk 30 yards and talk to me after 2 days of avoiding me.

His point of view: Dogs are animals and should be allowed to be "natural". Off leash. So they can do their "thing". Yes, some dogs might get mauled or killed, but that's just 'nature'.

In fact, awhile back his pack killed an entire flock of a guy's prized roosters. He made no effort to stop his dogs because, "The roosters were on the road, and this is MEXICO. They were fighting cocks, and were going to die eventually, so I did him a favor. HA HA HA!" He actually laughed out loud. (Was I dealing with a sociopath?)

At that moment a woman with a baby in a stroller came right up to the spot where my dog was attacked. I pointed her out and said that this women often walks her baby with her dogs, off leash (her dogs do not bother anyone). "Aren't you concerned that your dogs could kill that baby?"

"Well...the chances of that are so unlikely. I mean, it could happen, but we aren't talking reality here, we are talking of what might happen, so that's not reality."

"But two days ago your dogs nearly killed my dog."

"Oh, I always knew there was a chance of that. I have them off leash all the time and so far there's never been a problem. So I know it could happen, but its so unlikely. And really, this is partly your fault since your dog was not on a leash. I knew right away when I saw you standing there that they might attack. But that's not my problem." (That explains why he made no effort to help me.)

I did not bother trying to get him to see his faulty logic or to point out that if my dog was attached to me with a leash and his dogs rushed my dog, its very likely I would've been knocked down or been attacked as well.

So. He fully intends to walk them off leash again.

The vet bill? He was angry I did not go to "his" vet. I asked if it was unreasonable for me to go to well-known local vet that I know and with whom my dog has a history. "Well, no, but mine would've been cheaper, and its not fair that I should pay more."

He then wanted to take the vet bill home to "study it". What was there to study? A consult fee, the cost for the injections and the cost for the take-home antibiotics. Did he think I was trying to mislead him? I could write down the info and he could contact my vet to confirm the costs, but I was not going to let him have the only copy of the vet bill.

"No, I don't believe you are misleading me, but I need to think about it." This power-play went on for a bit, he went home, didn't call the vet, came back and paid 3/4 of the bill. He "wanted money for the weekend" and will "pay the rest on Monday". Uh huh.

This is a petulant, narcissistic, reckless infant in the body of a 27 year old. His fragile ego meant that even if he paid me, it had to go his way, whereby he won some sort of psychological game. I couldn't care less about that, I just wanted the vet bill paid.

But more importantly, I was hoping that he knew to never, ever walk his dogs off leash again. But as I explained that, he turned his head and looked bored, and said: "You can say what you need to say, but I will never change my mind. My dogs should be free."

So, be warned. I'll file the report, but that won't stop him as its just a report. His own father has insisted he never, ever let his dogs loose in a residential area, but he scoffed at that and proclaimed he will let his dogs "be free" anywhere he wants, and the chance of a kid getting mauled to death is minimal. Other animals get mauled? Too bad, its "nature" and he won't intervene.

Maybe I need a taser, pepper spray, brass, spiked knuckles and steel-toed boots to walk my dog.

File the report.

Arm yourself with whatever you need to protect your dog and you.

Warn as many people as you see on your walking route -- especially that woman with the baby.

The owner is a narcissistic sociopath and stupid to boot. If he is living with his parents they are enabling him, so there is no help there. You and your neighbors are on your own.

My daughter lived up the road from these people on Rio Bravo. I know of the dog pack, the lunatic son, and the not so grounded father.

These dogs often roam Rio Bravo unattended and killed a Chihuahua in front of my daughters home. After she stopped crying and being hysterical about the dog murder that happened on her doorstep, she went down the hill to complain to the "pack" owners (father, son & a woman living in the house) they laughed at her and said welcome to Mexico.

I suggest you get a taser, a baseball bat, or some other weapon ASAP and use it to protect yourself and your pet. Once you are safe you may want to consider using it on the human(s).

My daughter lived up the road from these people on Rio Bravo. I know of the dog pack, the lunatic son, and the not so grounded father.

These dogs often roam Rio Bravo unattended and killed a Chihuahua in front of my daughters home. After she stopped crying and being hysterical about the dog murder that happened on her doorstep, she went down the hill to complain to the "pack" owners (father, son & a woman living in the house) they laughed at her and said welcome to Mexico.

I suggest you get a taser, a baseball bat, or some other weapon ASAP and use it to protect yourself and your pet. Once you are safe you may want to consider using it on the human(s).

Oh dear lord. This makes me sick to my stomach. Someone had warned me the "son covered with tattoos was bad news". At first, on the phone I thought maybe he was autistic or something along the line. In person? I see a sociopath who enjoys playing mind games. He thinks he's very clever and has superior intelligence compared to the rest of us peons. (The funny thing is that his 'power play mind games' are so pathetically obvious and stupid that its a bit hard not to burst out laughing and gape; his mind games are similar as to what a 5 year old might try. But then its not so funny when you see how he almost wants a fight to start and is hoping to engage in violence.)

The vet bill issue went on for 15 minutes. He just was unable to say yes, I will pay. Everything we discussed had to be under his control.

I am horrified about their response to a dog getting killed. He literally LAUGHED when telling me the story of all the prized roosters getting killed by his dogs. The roosters' owner's emotions were not even a factor in his consideration, at most it was their value.

I am sick to my stomach. I figured something very strange was up with the son, the dad and mom perhaps taking care of him because he has issues, and thus only agreed to meet him outside. The father was nothing but polite, but something seemed way off that I cannot put my finger on.

This morning, after our two meetings over the vet bill was said and done, with 3/4 of it paid, ("I need money for the weekend and I only get paid on Monday") his tone and body language quickly changed from argumentative and manipulative to (obviously false) compassionate and remorseful. His now gentle tone said, "Oh, I'm really sorry" in a completely different voice, called out to my dog "Sorry, dog!" and leaned in to physically hug me (which was a bit uncomfortable, but I allowed it). Of course he wants to be in control to either not pay me the remaining 1/4 or use that as a reason to see me again. I don't need the $250 pesos that much.

Oh f*ck me. They are sociopathic animal murderers.

This may be something to take to the new Expat Officer in Ajijic. Bring photos, vet bill and printouts of what is being said here. Ask for her help in getting these dogs off the streets. These are expats flaunting the law, allowing their dogs to kill roosters and other dogs and endangering other expats.

have a tasar. It will not hurt unless you press it to skin but the noise makes dogs run off. I bought it at Upscale Bazar, but was told they were at the Wed tiangui. Have had several occasions to use it and it always works for me

Do you mean the Wednesday tiangis right here, by El Torito?

They aren't illegal in Mexico but to avoid disputes with customs, do you know anyone driving down? U.S. security could be a problem.

I tried a few on Amazon but so far none ship here.

The Libertad market is huge and open every day. It could take you 4 days to walk through the whole market.

This one on Mercadolibre is long. Ask the vendors if they sell some that are longer. If they are too long, you lose control over it.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-531539699-baston-tactico-18-paralizador-stun-7mv-para-defensa-personal-_JM

Thanks for the tips. I'd get lost in a market that huge.

And the link is good. I couldn't find anything like that in the Mercado Libre in my search. If I am unable to find anyone driving down who can bring it for me, that's a solid choice.

One of my best friends (healthy adult human female) was out taking a run slightly west of Ajijc some months ago when three unleashed dogs which had been just sitting around jumped up and attacked her without provocation. She was thrown to the ground, broke her back and had to be hospitalized, with months of wearing an uncomfortable orthopedic harness along with physical therapy following, not to mention the pain and general trauma of the event. The owners stayed in their house while this was happening but did eventually come out to help her. She didn't sue, since they seemed to be poor people, but the event was costly to her.

Please, people.........be responsible and don't let your dogs roam freely or take them anywhere without a leash.

I believe that the last animal law passed required dogs to be on a leash AT ALL TIMES. Am I wrong?

You are not wrong. But we are right on the border and they are across the street so they might be on Rancho del Oro. But even if there are leash laws, this young man is of the opinion that the laws to not apply to him.

You show remarkable restraint and diplomacy Serenity. If this were men involved it would start with chest thumping and end with "if I see your dogs loose again, I will kill them".

It is a strange time in the world, and this recent quote is telling. I am not going to attribute it, because it was political in context. But that does not make it any less true or insightful:

• “Today, we live in a time of threats like few others in recent memory. During anxious times, it can be tempting to follow the siren call of the angriest voices. We must resist that temptation.”
  • “In many parts of society today, whether in popular culture, academia, the media, or politics, there’s a tendency to falsely equate noise with results.”
  • “Some people think that you have to be the loudest voice in the room to make a difference. That is just not true. Often, the best thing we can do is turn down the volume. When the sound is quieter, you can actually hear what someone else is saying. And that can make a world of difference.”

One of my best friends (healthy adult human female) was out taking a run slightly west of Ajijc some months ago when three unleashed dogs which had been just sitting around jumped up and attacked her without provocation. She was thrown to the ground, broke her back and had to be hospitalized, with months of wearing an uncomfortable orthopedic harness along with physical therapy following, not to mention the pain and general trauma of the event. The owners stayed in their house while this was happening but did eventually come out to help her. She didn't sue, since they seemed to be poor people, but the event was costly to her.

Please, people.........be responsible and don't let your dogs roam freely or take them anywhere without a leash.

Gringal, she BROKE her BACK? Hospitalized with months of a brace? That typically means pain and mobility issues for life. With the owners not giving a damn. I am so sorry for your friend.

This is what terrifies me. This man and his parents are very well aware of the violence and pack-mentality of their dogs yet will continue to let their dogs off leash. The night I was looking for the house, a gardener warned me to be very careful, and I should not go to that house alone, and to be especially careful with the son.

You show remarkable restraint and diplomacy Serenity. If this were men involved it would start with chest thumping and end with "if I see your dogs loose again, I will kill them".

It is a strange time in the world, and this recent quote is telling. I am not going to attribute it, because it was political in context. But that does not make it any less true or insightful:

Chillin: I think it comes from fear (mine). This guy is larger than me, and I could tell if rubbed the wrong way he is easily prone to violence without a second thought. I want to live here in peace. I like where I live. And now I realize I may have 3 psychopaths with a wild dog pack that murders animals a few houses down. I'm a small, 5'3 42 year old woman who looks about 33. I played the game with a smile, allowed him to feel in control, and ensured there were no hard feelings when went our separate ways. I did not like his sudden need to hug me especially after his contentious behavior, but a rapid calculation in my mind meant it was worth it to be momentarily uncomfortable if that would mean he would be less contentious around me in case we met in the future. When he said he'd pay me Monday, I just said "Great!" with a nice smile, and left. I don't give a damn about the money. Now I am just very, very scared and need to plan my dog walks carefully. I must get a taser, and try to determine if he goes at a specific time as maybe I can avoid him.

I am relieved I live in a gated community. I could easily imagine someone chucking over a hunk of poisoned meat for my dog if I rubbed these people the wrong way.

I hate that this has happened. My dog is my world.

Archived