Chapala.com Webboard

Standard for tipping grocery baggers?

Serenity6

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite bagger is the little girl who is occasionally at Farmacia Guadalajara. She looks about 3 years old and is a doll baby. I always give her 5 pesos and sometimes 10 pesos.

She takes her work very seriously and always does a great job.

Let's see... WalMart... one bagger, 100 bags a day (at least)... 2 pesos a bag. $200 pesos a day. That's more than a lot of construction workers are getting. 10 pesos a bagger? 100 customers a day? $1,000 pesos a day. That's a lot more than the cops get. I think we should pull back a bit.

You beat me to it Computer guy --

For people who believe those baggers don’t get a pay. He, he!!! I’ve asked one bagger while talking to him outside the door a few months ago, how much he was approximately making. He said, a good day would be around $600 to $700 and a quiet day about half. He said people gave between one peso and 10 pesos, depending on the change they received from the cash, he thought.

I’'d say that’s why so man kids want to have that job.

The few (and I mean few) folks I've spoken with who worked as baggers even a few years ago said that they never made the kind of money CG is talking about. They all said that many patrons gave them nothing, most a minimal amount and some gave a generous amount. I asked one of them about it today and he said if they were making "real" money he would be fighting to get back to bagging groceries. I emphasize that none of the folks I spoke with are bagging now so the information they offered might be dated but I figured I'd go down to Walmart tomorrow to apply for that job. I could use that kind of cash myself! ^_^

Sorry, I guess I was not clear. I was not at all suggesting that they make that money. Rather, I was trying to point out how unnatural it would be if everyone who went through the cash gave the "suggested" 5 or 10 pesos every time.

• 4 weeks later...

I always tip the baggars 10-15 pesos regardless of how much I bought or how much they bagged (but usually it's only one bag). I also always tip 20% to any food vendor or restaurant wait staff.

In my youth, I paid for my education working full time doing both jobs (among other things) and both are thankless jobs. If people think anyone is getting rich off of either occupation you're high, especially here in Mexico.

IMO, there is absolutely nothing unnatural about providing people who provide you services a dignified living wage.

Oh geez . I make a tongue in cheek comment about "Superpaycheck" and I'm told I'm insulting and that if you were the owner you'd charge "twice as much.".

This is getting out of control. I apparantly am a big meanie who is insulting if I dare complain about superlatke prices? If he charged twice as much I imagine he'd lose half his sales. If he truly is losing money on the stuff he brings over from Costco, perhaps he should revisit his business model. It's getting draining dealing with the attitude that, as a patron of a store (any store) nobody can make a remotely negative observation on their own subjective opinion on prices without such "you big meaniehead!" backlash on this forum.

Unless I am mistaken, the superlake owner, as any business owner, engages in his or her actions to make money. Not do to us a favor. That is the nature of a for profit business. The owner makes a cost benefit analysis. Nobody is forcing him to take a trip to Costco.

Let the mud slinging begin!

For those who provided insight on appropriate bagging tipping, thank you. I like tipping extra well for those who take pride in their job. For the kids that don't, or destroy my bananas or eggs, or give me attitude, or (and this happens many times) so overload the bags that they rip and the kids pretend not to notice, they don't deserve to get as much as the kids who are more conscientious and take their work seriously.

Having a bad day, Serenity?

One person asked what you meant by "Superpaycheck" and another person said if they owned the store they would charge double becauseit is so much work. And, those two comments resulted in your tirade? You really did overreact, big time.

The kids at Walmart share tip and rotate, Same at Farmacia Guadalajara. They are also only hired if they have good grades, they are secondary school kids the kids at Guadalajara Farmacia are younger., The kids do not work more than 4 or 5 hours and have shift during that period. The Farmacia Guadaljara make betwee 100 and 200 pesos a shift a

day.Most of the do not work every day. The schedule is tougher at Walmart and the kid I nw who waas working at Farmacia Guadalajara did not wwant to work for Walmart because he neede more time for his home work.

Guest bennie2

poncho is reasonable. i made a suggestion many years ago. he said flat out "NO". 2 days later he did exactly what i told him to do, which was lower the crazy price. the product was original rice milk ("celestral seasonings imagine" brand, now "kirkland"). first he did a 2 for one sale. then just cut the price in 1/2. (25.80). i buy multiples. torittos also carried the product price was same. then they almost DOUBLED it. it just sits there, no one buys it. torittos is sometimes more expensive or same price as SL now, dirty & depressing. poncho (SL) also sold me 2 for one rice cakes, but that was a special circumstance. its highly unlikely he would double his prices because he knows when to stop. as for baggers, maybe 5 pesos a bag is a good tip.

Xena, it appears you did not read fully,or comprehend my posts.

My post had nothing to do with the person who inquired about what I mean by Superpaycheck.

My post was in response to another comment from another poster that for me to use the term "Superpaycheck" was "insulting" to the owner of superlake.

If you think what I wrote was a tirade, you must be having a very bad day and be extremely sensitive. It appears that according to you, nobody is allowed to voice their opinion on a for profit businesses that they believe charge a high amount.

I don't understand why their is so much drama and overreaction to me posting my opinion on prices? A tirade? Get real.

Why is it that some people are so quick to condemn the opinions of others that they do not agree with? You think the prices at superlake should be twice as much. I do not. How about we act like adults and agree to disagree, and cease with the personal attacks?

I did not say the prices should be twice as much. I did not have any opinion on the prices at all. I stand by what I did say. In my opinion, you overreacted to two simple comments, just as you now overreacted to what I said.

I will be careful in the future to never comment on anything you post though, so Happy New Year.

Sally, Sally........That is not it.

It is Vale, vale, vale, which means OK, OK, OK.

No,it's sale,sale,sale.

From the verb salir.

Salir-exit,leave.

And then there's another common expresion;sale vale,which means,okay lets do it.

Sale, sale, sale...keep coming out, keep coming out, keep coming out.

Then a short slap or two on your trunk, hood, or fender--that means STOP.

And he whirls his hand around in a circle, fingers down, to indicate which direction you should turn your steering wheel.

Then viene, viene to tell you to pull forward a little.

Then sale, sale, sale, the slap, and you're on your way. Give the guy a gracias and a couple of pesos on the way past him.

Guest bennie2

is ithis a personal chat room? thought this wasnt allowed. as for superlake, if you think he should "charge double" just offer him double! tell him he is too cheap. poncho would be happy to take your $. after all, thats what you are here for. give him a gratitude tip, you can start a new trend.

Archived