Chapala.com Webboard

autombile insurance for nationalized vehicles

It is almost time for automobile insurance to be renewed. Our current company has told us they are unable to provide insurance for stateside trips because our vehicle has been nationalized. I will be shopping around to find a new company/agent that provides coverage North of the border. I would like to get some input from people who may have had this experience/problelm. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I was in your shoes about a year ago. I had been with Lewis & Lewis for several years before my car was nationalized and was able to stay with them. Google Lewis & Lewis for more info. Their website has a "contact us" window for any questions you may have, and you can apply online.

Qualitas offers packages on Jalisco plated vehicles that include an option for liability coverage while driving it NOB. There are many agents/brokers in the area who sell Qualitas policies including Tio Corp., Bellon and of course Lewis & Lewis.

I have a Qualitas policy for my Mexican plated vehicle. It does in fact afford some liability coverage for the US and Canada. The only problem is that it is only $1,200,000 pesos which at today's exchange rate is about $93,000 USD which is less than what is required in many states. What I have done in the past is to buy a temporary policy that adds and additional $200,000 US which is only paid after the Qualitas limit has been reached. I did this on line with www.segurogringo.com Take a look.

I was in a wreck with the offending driver having Qualitas. They were absolutely horrible to me. If not for an advisor from my car insurance company to guide me, I would have been screwed royally. I even had to take them to PROFECO, the government body who has oversight with banks and insurance companies, in order to get them to pay. If you check the list of ranking of insurance companies in Mexico you will see that they are ranked near the bottom in terms of customer satisfaction and financial stability.

We were in an accident last year (not our fault) where the other vehicle was insured with Qualitas. Their adjuster was at the accident scene promptly and 2 hours before ours. There was an injury in our car and our adjuster would only authorize one (low end) hospital in Guadalajara. The Qualitas adjuster stepped in and offered any hospital of our choice in Guadalajara and promptly gave us a computer print out guaranteeing the the payment of the hospital services.

We were impressed with their service to the point that we changed our insurance coverage this year to Qualitas.

They now have an office in Chapala with an English speaking adjuster.

Archived