Chapala.com Webboard

Parking Meters in Chapala

hensley

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are always two sides to a story. I would suggest that The Guadalajara Reporter investigate the parking meter issue and

let us know what is going on.

The parking meter co. has a contract with the city, is ready to comply with it, but the city administration is unwilling

to co-operate .

Well, since that "contract" was a sweetheart deal with a previous administration who managed to negotiate getting something like a whopping 10 percent of the revenues and did this deal over the strenuous objection of practically the entire community, maybe we can all understand why said parking thieves are so ready to comply.

Corruption with a capital "C" was the hallmark of said departed administration and this parking deal was its crowning "achievement."

I'm surprised not one who got a ticket went to the government offices to pay it and "see what happened". If the Chapala government gets the money then it's theirs? What a mess. I'll continue to pay my two pesos when I park to avoid any hassle.

And can anyone answer are they using boots to immobilize cars any more? There are many services in Chapala I am not using for long term parking - an hour or more due to lack of change.

• 2 weeks later...

I realize it's been a couple of weeks since this topic was last posted on but I am still wondering what the true story is on the parking meters. Today I was at the ATM at Santander and asked a couple of Mexican men there about the parking meters. They both said they paid the parking meters. One raised the question "Who put up the banner at the malecon anyway?" The other said that a car could be towed. I really do not understand why this is such a complicated thing. Either the parking meters are legal or not. If it was the municipio de Chapala that put up the big banner sign, why did they only put it at the malecon and NOT at the entrances to Chapala? If they didn't put it up, why has it been allowed to stay up on public property? If, in fact, the meters are not legal and it is the municipio government saying to not pay them, why are the meters and the signs indicating the parking meter zones still there and why are the guys in orange vests still allowed to write fines that are apparently illegal? Who does know the answer to this? I did not pay the meter today but I knew I would be there a very short time.

Now to see of BofA charged me an ATM or foreign transaction fee for the ATM withdrawal.

My son got a parking ticket and he paid it at the office in Chapala with discount as paid right away, Mexican plated car..

I would not take risk of having a bunch of tickets to pay at registration time...another car mess...

US plated, uh...you are not in a computer , not renewing a registration here so............................

Bezerk, what Chapala office did he pay at?

We tried to pay at OXXO since that what was stapled to the ticket and they refused to take our money. The girl threw the ticket back at us saying no paga, Robar!

My guess is that, if the banner is staying up, the local government is letting it... for whatever reasons. they're certainly not blind.

The whole thing is causing a mess of related problems. Parking is once again almost non-existent after 9:30 am, but that's the least of it: various businesses along Hidalgo to the lights, and even more along the main drag Madero, are putting out buckets, beer chairs and other obstructions to claim parking as their own. One farmacia even put out a farmacia/medication sign to block parking in front of their establishment. All this is totally illegal, regardless of the meter situation.

I ran into the same aggravating thing at the feria maestros del arte at the yacht club yesterday: paint buckets all up and down Ramon Corona, suggesting "reserved" spots. Again, ridiculous and illegal. I got out of my car and --not hiding my annoyance-- demanded "What is this" of one guy, who had been watching me cruise looking for a spot. He immediately moved a bucket, but no one should have to go through that, especially newcomers who are not familiar with the area or who dislike confrontation.

Trouble is, at the businesses, just moving a bucket yourself often ends up in a keyed paint job on your vehicle.

Bezerk, what Chapala office did he pay at?

We tried to pay at OXXO since that what was stapled to the ticket and they refused to take our money. The girl threw the ticket back at us saying no paga, Robar!

we got a ticket a few months ago, walked around the corner to the government building where you pay your house taxes. There is a booth on the left as you come in that took the pesos. We got a discount for paying right away, I just can't remember how much the ticket was. For some reason I think the discounted rate was about 100 pesos

we got a ticket a few months ago, walked around the corner to the government building where you pay your house taxes. There is a booth on the left as you come in that took the pesos. We got a discount for paying right away, I just can't remember how much the ticket was. For some reason I think the discounted rate was about 100 pesos

Which makes you really wonder who did put up the banner on the waterfront? If the municipio is actually accepting the payment of parking tickets then it would be logical that they municipio did not put up the banner, right? And who is getting the money for the tickets? Does it stay with the municipio or go back to the parking meter company like the money put in meters?

I do have to wonder why the Guadalajara Reporter has not done the definitive story on this issue, unless they can't get a straight answer either. They couldn't possibly not know about the conundrum in Chapala.

So if you don't have to pay - how come the company is now installing video cameras?

The MK-COMERS company that is responsible for the operation and management of existing parking meters in downtown Chapala, has begun installing surveillance cameras at various points of the first frame of the city starting Nov 13 http://www.paginaquesiselee.com.mx/noticias/item/1075-instalar-c%C3%A1maras-de-vigilancia.html

No idea why cameras are needed to monitor meters. But all part of the package that was signed back in 2011, so things will be up in the air for a while. It is interesting to note that the manager of the company has no idea what the equipment cost is... . I'm sure Dale will have a story in the paper when she can get some definite facts.

I believe the contract with the municipo called for the parking meter company to install a camera system so the police can monitor parked cars in an attempt to cut down on car theft and theft from cars. The meters were installed first...without the cameras. This is why the current municipo administration has declared the contract invalid. Installation of the cameras will help the meter company enforce the contract.

I believe the contract with the municipo called for the parking meter company to install a camera system so the police can monitor parked cars in an attempt to cut down on car theft and theft from cars. The meters were installed first...without the cameras. This is why the current municipo administration has declared the contract invalid. Installation of the cameras will help the meter company enforce the contract.

from above link - in the absence of agreements with the authorities of the City, the cameras will not be operated from the Directorate of Public Security, but from the company headquarters.

from above link - in the absence of agreements with the authorities of the City, the cameras will not be operated from the Directorate of Public Security, but from the company headquarters.

At this point, the municipo is refusing to cooperate with the parking meter company. Basically...it's a p^ssing contest.

Dale says she will have the full story soon. She is "finally getting an update" from what is "a new chapter every week". Even though they know her well at city hall, they often don't make it easy for her to get the facts. She is a real reporter and spends a lot of time digging, at the offices of the various local bureaucracies. Kudos to her for the work.

Short story: They want more money from the meters.

And I don't blame them. Ten percent is a joke and clearly the product of a corrupt deal cut by the previous administration. If you read up on these kinds of agreements, a fifty fifty split is much more typical.

Looking forward to what Dale comes up with. I agree she does a pretty darned good job with the Reporter.

I've been told by people who have paid the tickets that you either pay at Oxxo, or some private little office.

While some people have said they pay at City Hall, of course the city is going to accept the money for the tickets there, they would get 100% of what you pay, since from what I understand, they aren't getting anything when you pay at Oxxo of the private office.

Again, this is just what several people who have been ticketed and paid told me.

Anyone who pays for any product when they are not obligated to, will never be rich, nor thought very wise. I personally like them, because it makes parking easier. However, once everyone gets used to them (assuming they stay), that will change rapidly and it will be the same old thing... just for extra money.

This story just gets better and better. So, the city either does or does not want you to feed the meters. If you do not and you get a ticket the city either does or does not want you to pay the ticket. If you do pay the ticket the city wants you to pay it at the their municipal office so they can keep the money. If you pay the ticket at Oxxo or a "private little office" somewhere, the city does not get any of the money. I am almost afraid to ask, but who gets the money if you pay Oxxo or someone at the mystery office?

Hey Xena, welcome to the club. I've been coming here (snowbird) since 1997 and I have no idea what to do. So, whenever possible, I keep away from parking in downtown Chapala. And when I need to park, whenever possible, I park outside the meter zone and walk.

Oh, if the Municipal Government got it's fair share of he income (Whatever that should be) I would gladly pay a parking fee. It's just that 10% seems so unfair.

Very detailed write up about this in the GDL Reporter this week. Bottom line: Better pay the parking fee for now. The Municipality and a big opposition group are trying to get rid of the meters but for now they are in force. They can't put unpaid tickets on your Jalisco plate renewal but they may resort to other means of collection.

Archived