Chapala.com Webboard

Cinco Potrillos

border crosser

My wife and I drove over to Ixtlajuacan yesterday for dinner at Cinco Potrillos. We had been there a couple of times before but it has been a while. I just wanted to comment on how much we enjoyed it. We were not sure what to order and I was a little confused by the low prices. I guess I thought that you would not get much for 30 pesos. I even considered ordering two entrees. The waiter advised against that and boy was I glad. Both of our dinners were excellent and we had more than we could eat. In total the two meals and four beers came to a whopping $120 pesos. The service was excellent,the place was spotless and every employee was helpful and cheerful. Well worth the short drive!!

We were returning from GDL. If you take the last retorno just past the usual entrance southbound and make a right on the first road running west, it will take you up to the corner of the church which you can then go around and use the usual route. Theoretically that street in front of the restaurant is one way east but in the disruption, the locals seem to be using it two way.

Leaving, take the same road out, do the retorno, then do the north side retorno, and you are going in the right direction again.

If coming from Lakeside, do the north side retorno, then follow the instructions above.

A little aggravation but well worth it for this restaurant.

I love the place and bring out of town guests there frequently. Great food, service, and prices.

• 7 months later...

My wife and I drove over to Ixtlajuacan yesterday for dinner at Cinco Potrillos. We had been there a couple of times before but it has been a while. I just wanted to comment on how much we enjoyed it. We were not sure what to order and I was a little confused by the low prices. I guess I thought that you would not get much for 30 pesos. I even considered ordering two entrees. The waiter advised against that and boy was I glad. Both of our dinners were excellent and we had more than we could eat. In total the two meals and four beers came to a whopping $120 pesos. The service was excellent,the place was spotless and every employee was helpful and cheerful. Well worth the short drive!!

The owner, who is usually on-site, speaks English too. Excellent food, lovely atmosphere (we like the patio best), unbelievably low prices, generous servings, good service. Not much more one could ask for, except to be closer. The drive takes about 10 minutes from Chapala, 15 from Ajijic, but well worth it. Highly recommend their green chile burrito (about 35 pesos & you can talk half home for later), sopa azteca, enchiladas & parilladas. Also excellent really shrimmp dishes.

Not much more one could ask for, except to be closer. The drive takes about 10 minutes from Chapala, 15 from Ajijic, but well worth it.

Come on! I have to have at least one restaurant that's close to me. Only about 5 min. from our house. :D

Cinco Portrillos is an exceptional restaurant. As others have posted, the food is good, the portions generous, and the cost is very reasonable. I love the burritos. Try the Carne Asada Burrito. The pollo (chicken) burrito is also very good. Love their salsa? I can attest there is no other restaurant in Lakeside that has this recipe for this salsa..lovely in its flavor, balance, etc. Well, why don't you ask to take home pint or a quart?

I would rather drive to Cinco Portrillos any day of the week than to almost any of the restaurants in Chapala/Ajijic.

It's always a great meal. Great owner, great staff, great prices, great portions, great guns - I'm hungry now!

Mmmm... Parrilladas!

Well said. Los Cinco Potrillos, in Ixtlahuacan de los Membrillos, may be the best run restaurant in the area. It is always a pleasure to go there.

For new folks, here are the directions:

Proceed over the mountain from Lake Chapala and descend to Ixtlahuacan, keeping to the right and slowing down at the vendor's stalls on the right. Go into the tunnel and make the 'retorno', staying right and proceeding through the arched gates of the town.

Continue through Centro, passing the church (stop and see the murals inside) on your left and the plaza on your right. Then, take the next available one way street to the left and go to the first corner. Turn left and you will see the restaurant on your left. Park and enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Add our positive experiences to this thread, too. Husband and I split the mixed paradillas (chicken, beef, shrimp and squid - though we never found any squid in the dish, which was no great disappointment :)) which turned out to be a fajita like dish, with some vegies besides the standard onions and peppers (thinly sliced zuchinni, mushrooms, cactus). The dish arrived on a very hot sizzling cast iron frying pan - great presentation - with guacamole, rice, pico and beans on the side. All sides were unusually good, as was the quality of the entire dish. No dry meat or overcooked vegies. Huge portion, and at $200 pesos, the single most expensive thing on the menu. Enough to feed three, easily.

Others at our table enjoyed the breaded fish filet with garlic sauce and the breaded shrimp. Both seemed very pleased with their meals, and after sharing a taste of the garlic sauce, I already know what MY order is for our next visit.

All around, a lovely place, as others have described. And I thank Larda and her husband for inviting us to join them.

Be aware that the streets are blocked off for the fiestas so you'll need to make a right turn about 2 blocks before the plaza (look for the one with the right arrow) and then make the next left (Eje Sur) and go down past the plaza and then make a left (the street is Morelos) and then go down 2 blocks and make a left and you'll see 5 Potrillos. I was in Ixtla last night and will be there tonight for a wedding and the trucks with the games are blocking most streets by the plaza. This will continue until the end of this month.

Go for breakfast sometime & try the burrito de huevos y chorrizo. Be hungry!

Woke up yesterday dreaming of that burrito. Spouse and I jumped in the auto and headed over the hill. So wanted to try one and we were hungry.

Of course there were many menu choices but the huevos y chorrizo was what I was hankerin' fer. Nice combination of ingredients, well seasoned and sitting in a tasty red sauce.

Spouse opted for a simple eggs, pancake (with a Tiger from Winnie the Pooh imprint on it - didn't expect that!) and hash browns.

The salsa is some of the best we've had. Next time I'll bring some home.

The coffee was top rate, too and the service exceptional (as always.)

It all met our expectations and then some. Of course, 5 Potrillos never disappoints. We love the place. The decor is a delight and the people are friendly and glad that you're there.

It's always a treat!

Archived