Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw TV Bye Bye

On Saturday Shaw satellite TV took down most channels on their old satellite that had a footprint over Mexico. All the major networks, regional news, sports all gone.

There's a few channels still left but it's now not worth $100/month. Looks like it time to go to a streaming ITV service. Any suggestions?

Youtube tv is good, also. You need a reliable VPN (we use Express), but it gives us all of the channels we want and then some. Every so often we have to change the location of the VPN, but...so far, so good. We used to use LiveNet tv and Mobtv (I think that's what it's called), but a lot of the channels are disappearing and they're both too unreliable. Although they're free, who knows how long they'll be around?  

This past weekend my Shaw receiver did an automatic firmware upgrade that lasted over 3 - 4 hours.  No TV available during the 3 hour download.

No problem since......

1 hour ago, ficklepie said:

Looks legit (lol). Many people are stupid.

So you checked out the company?  https://www.kiwisatcaribbean.com/en/

And you suggest that a satellite service that has been in the caribbean with offices in Puerto Rico, Florida and St Martin for quite some time might not be legit? 

Please....Let's hear your concerns causing you to call their subscribers "stupid"

I guess I must be one of the stupid ones.  My Kiwisat setup is working great - signal strength of 99% using an old Dish USA dish.  I also have the record/playback feture working so all set for the upcoming F1 season!!  

Thanks Ezzie for the update. Obviously, Ficklepie did not take the time to read your extensive report as linked above on Sunday by MostlyLost. I am not interested in any satellite set up and get along fine with streaming etc. but I do appreciate the length to which you have gone in regards to providing options for those who do.

• Like 2

I have been hooked up to Kiwisat since the middle of December.  It requires a fair amount of computer work but Ajijic Electronics will help you. They have 771 channels and it costs $708/6 months.   The Kiwisat receiver was shipped to Ajijic Electronics.  Once they have your receiver they will come to your house and adjust your satellite.  Mine points east and is almost on the roof surface.  They install your receiver etc.  This cost $8000 pesos.

Now, I have had nothing but problems with the Kiwisat system.  Almost every night, including the very first night I lose the satellite signal, and off goes the TV.  It may, or may not come back on.  I cannot begin to explain how complicated this is, and how often, or long it last per night.  After a couple of weeks, Kiwisat Miami  sent a signal boost to my receiver.  This did not help. Unplugging the TV and re-plugging it back in does not help.  Sample:  Last night was good:   I turned my TV on at 4 pm.  The TV came on with a perfect picture and sound.  Thirty minutes later I noticed the lips were not moving on the person speaking.  I knew then that I would lose picture and sound. I was lucky, about one hour later, when I was fixing dinner I heard the TV begin to make noise, and it did come on.   I do not watch TV after 7 PM.  This is because, unlike SHAW you cannot tell what is programmed on the channels you want to watch.  For example:  I want to know what is coming on NBC, ABC, and CBS, at 7 pm, 8 pm, and 9 pm.  This is not available.

Lastly, I hear there are other people who are now on Kiwisat who do not have my problem.  This tells me that the problem is at my end.  I think it is the receiver.  I need Ajijic Electronics to rule out the connection, and then get me a new  Kiwisat receiver box.  I will forever miss SHAW after 21 years.

On 2/5/2024 at 10:54 PM, Oatsie said:

This past weekend my Shaw receiver did an automatic firmware upgrade that lasted over 3 - 4 hours.  No TV available during the 3 hour download.

No problem since......

Speaking of Shaw firmware updates (automatic downloads), this morning when I got up early, I noticed that the light on my Shaw receiver was flashing on and off.

I turned on the TV and saw this on screen:

image.thumb.jpeg.34874063c50ec9cdc5e53cdce75a693f.jpeg

I turned the TV back off and after 10 minutes, noticed that the light stopped flashing.  I turned everything (TV and Shaw box) back on and the TV appeared normal.

I guess the Shaw box automatically updated itself overnight.

Who would have known unless you saw the flashing light overnight.

Does not begin to compare to SHAW but it is the only thing available.   Many problems.  Lost sound yesterday.  It was fixed from Florida via satellite sometime after I switched Netflix.   I still lose the satellite daily but I think they are close to fixing that.

53 minutes ago, ficklepie said:

Looks like you need to do a better job with reading and following which messages are being quoted. This site:

https://thetvapp.to/

Is not legit.

Actually I read your post very  well.   To refresh your memory

image.png

It was obvious it was in referrence to Kiwisat which is a satellite service

Tho internet link I posted could not use a Shaw dish

Technically, Shaw is only available to those with a residence and an account in Canada so many have been using Shaw illegally here for many, many years. Yes, many were paying for the service but through loopholes that operated in a gray area. We shared an account with my son in Toronto when we lived in San Pancho. He was the primary account holder and we used one of his "other receivers" in Nayarit.

I won't get into the programming available on Firesticks but some of the comments about them having to be "reprogrammed" gives me pause.

There IS a legal website for streaming and/or on demand free content and that is PlutoTv https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/5e793a7cfbdf780007f7eb75  If you click on the link I just provided, you will get everything in Spanish. If you use a vpn and use either a city in the U.S. or in Canada, then the content will be in English. Legality... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto_TV

37 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Technically, Shaw is only available to those with a residence and an account in Canada so many have been using Shaw illegally here for many, many years. Yes, many were paying for the service but through loopholes that operated in a gray area. We shared an account with my son in Toronto when we lived in San Pancho. He was the primary account holder and we used one of his "other receivers" in Nayarit.

I won't get into the programming available on Firesticks but some of the comments about them having to be "reprogrammed" gives me pause.

There IS a legal website for streaming and/or on demand free content and that is PlutoTv https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/5e793a7cfbdf780007f7eb75  If you click on the link I just provided, you will get everything in Spanish. If you use a vpn and use either a city in the U.S. or in Canada, then the content will be in English. Legality... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto_TV

Mexican communications law has no referrences to receiving any satellite signal in Mexico.  It is the copyright laws that affect the sending of satellite signals as to what content could be available in what country.  And the companies that have the right to distribute satellite programing to Mexican subscribers. 

If the provider only has the right for a certain program in the USA, and/or no license to provide satellite service to Mexico  and they knowingly make it available  then they could be in violation of copyright laws and/or Mexican communication law. 

In regrds to internet...

Using a VPN to to receive programing meant for country specific programming spoofs the provider into thinking they are  not violating copyrite law. Many companies police their connections and delete VPN websites all the time to be able to comply with the laws.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:36 AM, Ezzie said:

I guess I must be one of the stupid ones.  My Kiwisat setup is working great - signal strength of 99% using an old Dish USA dish.  I also have the record/playback feture working so all set for the upcoming F1 season!!  

How do you get the dvr/pvr?

The Kiwisat receivers have a USB 3.0 port on the rear panel.  Simply plug in an "off-the-shelf" USB memory stick, an SSD drive or a conventional hard disk drive - format to the FAT32 file system and the rest is all in the Kiwisat receiver's menus.  Easier to manage than trying to record live internet streaming video (I gave uo on attempting that).

• Thanks 1