Chapala.com Webboard

Microwave Repair ?

There is a small appliance repair shop almost to the next corner (east side) up the street that runs down beside the Oxxo on the highway in Ajijic. I don't know if he speaks English because I've always spoken to him in Spanish. His shop is full of small kitchen appliances with identifying tags on them. Worth a try. You will have to go up the one way street beside La Montana plaza, make a right at the first corner and then another right at the next corner.. shop on your left a couple of doors down. It is very hard to find parking so go with two people so one can keep driving around the block and pick you up after you've dropped it off. He is very reasonably priced. Suerte. Here are some Spanish words that you may need. "Descompuesto" (broken), "Rotado" (also broken) and the easiest "No funcione". Or he may speak English.

I think I may have screwed up the instructions because Colon is the street beside La Montana plaza and it is one way going the wrong way. So go to the next street that goes north and make that two blocks going to the right to get to the street that goes down beside the Oxxo (with Intercam beside it).

Oxxo has nothing to do with it. At the LAST traffic light heading west, turn right and next corner right, and at virtually on the next corner, glance corner at your right, and you will see it. Yip parking is not too handy.

• Thanks 1

Thank you! I realized that I had made an error with directions when I was laying in bed last night. Didn't want to get up and re-start the computer to correct it. Note to self: "Do not give detailed instructions after 10 pm at night. You're tired."

• Haha 1

Thanks one and all......   I too have learned about the timing of posting.  Not before my 2nd. coffee in the morning or after my 2nd. rum and coke in the late afternoon.

I have checked Walmart, Soriana, Costco and Amazon and buy a new one for 2500 pesos.  In the sober light of day, it makes more sense to replace it.

• Like 1

True but the dead one could still go to the repair shop in question and donated for parts or, if he can fix it he can sell it so someone who can't afford a new one can benefit. Don't let it go to landfill please.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

Note to self: "Do not give detailed instructions after 10 pm at night. You're tired."

Oh I wish!  In my case, do not do anything like that, make important decisions, or try to figure out anything more complicated than a crossword puzzle. Only for ME, that magic hour is 5 pm

Depends on how old whether it might be worth fixing.  If you do decide to replace it, just put the old one out on the curb.  It will get recycled in some manner.  One of the great things about living in Mexico!

I wonder if that wizard in San Juan Cosala could fix it?  He recently fixed what is now a $600 SVS subwoofer for me, able to completely rebuild the power supply, for $50.

7 hours ago, Oatsie said:

Thanks one and all......   I too have learned about the timing of posting.  Not before my 2nd. coffee in the morning or after my 2nd. rum and coke in the late afternoon.

I have checked Walmart, Soriana, Costco and Amazon and buy a new one for 2500 pesos.  In the sober light of day, it makes more sense to replace it.

Last week Soriana had a stack of microwaves inside the entrance, $999 pesos... albeit a small one. How many actually need one that could hold a small turkey?

EDIT: I have repaired many m/w, it is a hobby, but typically only loose connections or a burnt fuse, or replaced the turntable motor... Just difficult to find the proper way to open them, some are a puzzle.

In many cases, it may actually be more cost effective to repair a microwave if the issue is minor and the appliance is relatively new. However, if the microwave is over ten years old or has developed several issues, it may be more affordable to purchase a new microwave.

What is the life expectancy of a microwave magnetron?
about 2000 hours
Most microwave magnetrons last about 2000 hours. Low-quality microwave magnetrons won't last as long. If your microwave does not heat properly or dies, it's possible the magnetron died. If so you're better off replacing the whole microwave.

BTW, I prefer microwaves with Inverter technology, superior to regular units.

• Like 1

I have a microwave/convection oven for over 17 years which I have had repaired twice at the place on Colon. It is now in need of work, I  believe it is only a belt for the turn table. Repair is the most cost efficient way to go in my opinion. This oven is used every day for both the microwave and convection. It also has a grill feature which I have only used a few times over the years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think the place on Colon is called "Electrico Domestico" and most workers speak English there.  If you go around the corner from Plaza Montana, it is on the first block of Colon, on the right walking toward the mountains.  Yes, parking is really difficult there. 

If you live in the Chapala area, there is another one is on the 200 block of Lopez Cotilla.

I had them replace the electrical card in the microwave and cost about 800 p to fix about 6 yrs ago.  See if they can fix it before buying brand new, IMO !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mexijims1 said:

I think the place on Colon is called "Electrico Domestico" and most workers speak English there.  If you go around the corner from Plaza Montana, it is on the first block of Colon, on the right walking toward the mountains.  Yes, parking is really difficult there. 

If you live in the Chapala area, there is another one is on the 200 block of Lopez Cotilla.

I had them replace the electrical card in the microwave and cost about 800 p to fix about 6 yrs ago.  See if they can fix it before buying brand new, IMO !

A bit late for the OP He said said he was buying a new weeks ago, anf sending the old one to the recycling center/