Chapala.com Webboard

chosing a bank, your opinion

Lexy

Didn't we just cover this subject? In fact, I think you sent me a pm about it. 

We have used HSBC for many years to receive one of our SS payments. When we have had an issue to deal with, the representative uses a translation program to help with my limited Spanish.  The manager speaks English.

Parking in front of the bank is almost always available. 

ATM at Walmart and Soriana as well as in lobby.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lexy said:

I'm about to decide on opening an account with either Actinver or HSBC to recieve my monhly SS deposit. Any person preferences on which to choose? It must have easy access to parking, because of my difficulty in walking to and fro.

Lexy

Actinver  has worked out for our SS deposits for many years.  The parking lot in front usually has space unless you go at a busy time of day. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lexy said:

I'm about to decide on opening an account with either Actinver or HSBC to recieve my monhly SS deposit. Any person preferences on which to choose? It must have easy access to parking, because of my difficulty in walking to and fro.

Lexy

The first question: How is your ability to communicate in Spanish? Just because one place has English speakers does not equate to the best place for you.

The second question: Will you want a debit card that is good everywhere including online?

The third question.  Do you want to have an app available to monitor your accounts, send money, transfer funds, pay bills like CFE, Telmex, etc?

The fourth question: Do you want a full service bank that offers credit cards, etc or only a place to receive your deposits?  For example BBVA has an 800 number in Mexico City for prefered clients (that will include you as a foreign account holder)  that will answer in English.

MostlyLost

1. My Spanish is not fluent. I have translation app on my phone.

2 Yes, I'd want a debit card, mostly to use at ATMs (exept NOT the one at CIBanco). And also a credit card. I have an AmEx card which is not accepted everywhere, like at area hospitals.

3. I don't even know of such an app. Doesn't sound like I need it.

4. I do want a full service bank. However I learned that many banks require an American to have an address in the USA. I will check call their 800 number.

Lexy

3 hours ago, ibarra said:

Didn't we just cover this subject? In fact, I think you sent me a pm about it. 

We have used HSBC for many years to receive one of our SS payments. When we have had an issue to deal with, the representative uses a translation program to help with my limited Spanish.  The manager speaks English.

Parking in front of the bank is almost always available. 

ATM at Walmart and Soriana as well as in lobby.

Yes, Ibarra, you and I did cover some of this info.

Lexy

4 hours ago, Natasha said:

Do not go near HSBC!!!  They will confound you at every turn, and especially with your lack of good Spanish it will be a constant nightmare.

I am a premier member at hsbc and they have been wonderful to me and my wife. We both have our vs disability and my SS deposited into hsbc accounts. And we love the easy access to HSBC.

Edit me and my wife do not speak Spanish outside basic stuff. Never been a issue at hsbc we use google translate when needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Usvetsinmexico said:

I am a premier member at hsbc and they have been wonderful to me and my wife. We both have our vs disability and my SS deposited into hsbc accounts. And we love the easy access to HSBC.

Edit me and my wife do not speak Spanish outside basic stuff. Never been a issue at hsbc we use google translate when needed.

Some of us cringe for the $58 peso charge to use a bank machine, not you.

You have several options to join HSBC Premier and enjoy this experience at no cost

Minimum balance : $20,000 M.N.

Option 1

With your accounts and investments

By maintaining an average monthly balance between them greater than or equal to $750,000 M.N.

Option 2

With your payroll

Receiving it on HSBC when it is more than or equal to $60,000 M.N. per month

Option 3

With your mortgage

Having an HSBC Mortgage Credit whose line is greater than or equal to $2,000,000 M.N.

Option 4

With recurrent deposits

Upon receiving them directly on your Premier Account each month for at least $120,000 M.N.

The monthly Premier Account commission is $500 M.N. plus VAT.

There is nothing like brag, eh? Letting the little people know who you are...

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Lexy said:

MostlyLost

2 Yes, I'd want a debit card, mostly to use at ATMs (exept NOT the one at CIBanco). And also a credit card. I have an AmEx card which is not accepted everywhere, like at area hospitals.

4. I do want a full service bank. However I learned that many banks require an American to have an address in the USA. I will check call their 800 number.

Lexy

Never heard of needing an address in the USA. 

If you want a credit card then you would want to choose a full service bank such as HSBC, Santandar,   BBVA  or Citibanamex.  Past reports have said they had problems at Citibanamex trying to open an account. 

At BBVA they have a variety of accounts that would work. They have issued credit cards to many foreigners in the area. Your first card will have a low limit which they will bump up after a year.  Also the availibilty of the prefered customer line and a great app allowing you to check your balances, and pay your bills from your armchair.  Your app will allert you when your deposit is received. 

HSBC also has a few accounts that would work for you. Their app is not as good as BBVA, and you will not be a prefered customer without meeting qualifications. 

I have no friends with accounts at Santandar so I can't say anything about them

4 hours ago, Lexy said:

MostlyLost

Lexy

We don't have an address in the U.S., we were never asked for one at HSBC.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Never heard of needing an address in the USA. 

If you want a credit card then you would want to choose a full service bank such as HSBC, Santandar,   BBVA  or Citibanamex.  Past reports have said they had problems at Citibanamex trying to open an account. 

At BBVA they have a variety of accounts that would work. They have issued credit cards to many foreigners in the area. Your first card will have a low limit which they will bump up after a year.  Also the availibilty of the prefered customer line and a great app allowing you to check your balances, and pay your bills from your armchair.  Your app will allert you when your deposit is received. 

HSBC also has a few accounts that would work for you. Their app is not as good as BBVA, and you will not be a prefered customer without meeting qualifications. 

I have no friends with accounts at Santandar so I can't say anything about them

We are not a preferred customer at HSBC. We use online banking all the time without any problems. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OldWEB said:

You have several options to join HSBC Premier and enjoy this experience at no cost

Option 1

By maintaining an average monthly balance between them greater than or equal to $750,000 M.N.

Option 2

With your payroll

Option 3

With your mortgage

Having an HSBC Mortgage Credit whose line is greater than or equal to $2,000,000 M.N.

Option 4

With recurrent deposits

Upon receiving them directly on your Premier Account each month for at least $120,000 M.N.

We don't have a premier account with hsbc.  We pay nothing to use their ATM. Only requirement is to keep a balance of 2500 pesos.  We have received direct deposit of a Social Security check since they opened the branch in Laguna Centro.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

For example BBVA has an 800 number in Mexico City for prefered clients (that will include you as a foreign account holder)  that will answer in English.

Can you tell me what that 800 number is?  I've searched Google and all the numbers I have tried never have a English speaking person.

17 hours ago, OldWEB said:

Option 1

Option 2

With your payroll

Option 3

With your mortgage

Option 4

With recurrent deposits

I don't pay 58 peso for a atm. Heck is go see a teller when it need cash. And wow you know how to use google.  

Edit oh and the new perm residents monthly income needed next year is almost what you need for a premier account at hsbc. So I am sure we are not the only expats who meet requirements here.

On 12/12/2023 at 6:07 PM, Darkenstern said:

Can you tell me what that 800 number is?  I've searched Google and all the numbers I have tried never have a English speaking person.

Hello  The 800 number is for their prefered customers to help with accounts, problems, questions. It is not for the general public to call thus it is not published. They will ask you for a card/account number and name before proceding.  the number is 800 228 -2728

46 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Hello  The 800 number is for their prefered customers to help with accounts, problems, questions. It is not for the general public to call thus it is not published. They will ask you for a card/account number and name before proceding.  the number is 800 2282-3539 

Thank you.  I started my BBVA account about a year ago.  I didn't use it very much at first but realized a couple months ago that they were charging me the equivalent of $100 Dollars per month for a charge called Meta Segura.  I went to the local Chapala branch to inquire about it.  They told me that it was a savings account.  I asked him how much was in it and he could not tell me.  I asked him why it did not show up on my app as a savings account with an available balance.  He told me that I needed to go to the branch in Tlaquepaque where I opened the account.  I don't think my Spanish was sufficient so I went to the Tlaquepaque branch with a native Spanish speaker.  They told me that it was an insurance policy.  I told them that I never requested that and he told me that he would cancel it and return my money.  He said to wait for a couple of days and I would receive a text msg telling me how to proceed.  After not receiving any text, I called BBVA using the number 55-1102-0000.  No one spoke English.  A local Spanish speaker helped me communicate.  The guy told us the same thing, I would receive a text within one day and I was to follow the instructions to get all of my money back.  He said to call the same number, ask for him and reference a Folio #.  Of course the text message never came.  I called back a couple of days later and again no English speakers.  Luckily I had another native Spanish speaker with me.  The Folio # meant nothing to the guy on the phone and he had never heard of the name of the guy that told me to mention his name.  This time I was instructed to find a form online, fill it out, print it, sign it, scan it and email it to them.  Almost 2 weeks have passed and still no resolution nor response.  Hopefully I can use this number to speak with someone in English and get my money back.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Hello  The 800 number is for their prefered customers to help with accounts, problems, questions. It is not for the general public to call thus it is not published. They will ask you for a card/account number and name before proceding.  the number is 800 2282-3539   

In my post above, I quoted you from another thread and you gave two other numbers, now this one... please confirm if they are all valid.