Chapala.com Webboard

MX permanente, MX plated car. US plated small, open utility trailer.

Linda Young

I have a permanente visa and drive a MX plated car.  I want to enter Mexico with my US plated, small, open utility trailer. I will be carrying used bedroom furniture.   Does anyone know if I can get a MX plate at the border for the trailer? 

I would appreciate any recommendations for this trip; which crossing to use, etc.

You would need to import the trailer legally using a licensed import broker. After you pay the fees, import taxes and Adauana does it's thing to legalize it, you would pay for  a "one trip" permit good for 4 days to get it to were you live., Process will take a full day.

Once here you would have the trailer inspected and pay taxes, registration,  in the state where you reside

Here is an importer in Laredo I have used many times

https://quality-imports.com/

• Like 1

Just one detail that has not been mentioned. Are you within the time frame for a menaje (that's when you can bring in your belongings duty free)? If not, you may also be looking at duty on the furniture that you want to bring in with the trailer.

Please note.  The OP has not stated where they will be entering MX.  

At the last toll before entering MX, nothing was asked about plates, just wanted payment.

Our neighbors just did the exact same thing the OP is asking about.  At MX border stop in Nuevo Laredo, they did not care anything about plates, just wanted to know what was in the trailer.  Our neighbor told them items for their home in Chapala.  They were waived through.  They got a red light at the next customs stop, the agent did not care about plates either.  Looked through the trailer and asked where the items were going.  Our neighbor said the items were for personal use in their home in Chapala, Jalisco.    

• Like 1

Driving in with a MX plated vehicle, and a US plated trailer is illegal. 

If you enter with a TIP the trailer is included on the TIP and must exit Mexico along with the vehicle.  As to furniture, it would depend on the Aduana agent. 

I don't know of a border crossing that has more than one check on entering Mexico as ibarra describes....... In Nuevo Laredo there is only one stop for Mexico which is Aduana just after you cross bridge II where the light system is in place. Normally all vehicles towing trailers are stopped even with green light.  There is an Immigration stop at abt kilometer 20. That place has nothing to do with customs, or vehicles. Most Mexican plated vehicles are not stopped to check immigration documents as most are Mexican citizens. At 8AM Friday the 10th there was no one in the booth.

Would be a shame if the poster attempts to enter illegally and gets turned back with a trailer and furniture to deal with in a USA border city, or is in Mexico and has a problem on the highway and faces confiscation and fines for an illegal trailer.

Also the illegal trailer would not be covered by insurance.

All that being said it seems just about every year someone makes it all the way to the Chapala area without a tourist permit or vehicle permit and enlists an attorney to help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

True the above and we have noticed in the last few years checking and enforcement has really tightened up.

Fortunately we will no longer be driving in and out mainly because the roads on the routes we need have been ground into a potholed, broken mess by all the trucks and lousy maintenance.

You don't move to Mexico for the great roads.  😁

• Like 1