Chapala.com Webboard

LOOKING FOR INFO FROM PERSONS WITH BRADYCARDIA WHO MOVED FROM SEA LEVEL

Hello I am trying to hear from a person or maybe more than one who moved to lakside from sea level

with bradycardia and how the move to the altitude affetced your health. I appreciate responses

public or private message  please. please mention your age also  I am just over 70 live now at

sea level currently,considering a move to lakeside. Thanks !

IMO you'd be better off asking a medical professional who can relate to differences in altitude relative to your condition.  I 've known more than one in your age range that had to move lower BUT   tho' they had heart issues, not sure if any had bradycardia

Pelican you may get lucky but the probabilities of finding someone who 1) has bradycardia, 2) moved to Lakeside from sea level and 3) reads this Board.... that's going to be a long shot. 

But good luck with the Bradycardia and finding an answer.

• Like 1

I moved from 900' above sea level to here at 5250'.  I've have had some problems with medicines that made the condition worse, but overall I am ok if I do not over exert myself when exercising.  I don't worry about it too much.  Best to consult a cardio and if you are on meds, give him the list.

34 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

????there is always 100% of the oxygen available.

look at the site Apha1  quoted      at our altitude, due to barometric pressure changes, we have only 83% of total oxygen that would be available ( when breathing) at sea level

• Like 1

Regardless of the altitude, there is always 21 percent oxygen in the air. The real difference is the amount of pressure pushing the oxygen into a person's lungs.

I'm at 5200' but I still have 21% oxygen in the air I'm breathing. I just have to 'work harder' to get that oxygen into my lungs.

21 hours ago, RickS said:

I'm at 5200' but I still have 21% oxygen in the air I'm breathing. I just have to 'work harder' to get that oxygen into my lungs.

And how does that compare to how well you breathe in Florida in the winter, Rick?  Thinking you're in ideal example for Pelican 9

Well I've lived at altitude for 50 years so am well acclimated and have no trouble breathing here.  Going to sea level doesn't make it easier.... i.e.  I don't have new-found 'energy'. Now humidity... that's another story!

Conversely the reverse....low to high... would be and is felt by "low-landers" going/moving to altitude. Especially it there are any lung issues.

Different types of heart problems react to different solutions. Simply going to say FL or other states with high humidity and temperature is a killer. 

I have a friend who has heart problems and left for the states because he has good medical benefits and feels more comfortable with more facilities closer by .

Perception is a strong reason why many of us make the moves we do 

This is due to the low air pressure. Air expands as it rises, and the fewer gas molecules—including nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide—have fewer chances to bump into each other. The human body struggles in high altitudes. Decreased air pressure means that less oxygen is available for breathing.

https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/altitude/

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RickS said:

Well I've lived at altitude for 50 years so am well acclimated and have no trouble breathing here.  Going to sea level doesn't make it easier.... i.e.  I don't have new-found 'energy'. Now humidity... that's another story!

Conversely the reverse....low to high... would be and is felt by "low-landers" going/moving to altitude. Especially it there are any lung issues.

I've lived at 5 - 9000 feet my whole life. When I visit places around sea level I am miserable because there is too damn much air. 😁

If you have bradycardia, are 70 years old, and have medicare, please consider getting a pacemaker.  I have had one for many years and have no problem dealing with altitude.  It is an amazing operation:  you go in feeling crappy and come out feeling better than you have in years.  They don't open your chest, just string some wires through an artery and put the device under the skin near your collarbone.  You'll never feel that it is there.  Just be sure to tell them it is there if you get an MRI!

Good luck,  Rick

• Thanks 1