Chapala.com Webboard

What is this in La Floresta?

HarryB

On 10/19/2016 at 1:16 PM, ned small said:

I see a group of people having a good time at their private club. What do you see?

All of the people in the video appear to be 'Guad Squad'.  Are there any residences there yet?  Or is it strictly a private yacht club with restaurant?  And is the restaurant open to the public, or only to members?

8 minutes ago, suegarn said:

All of the people in the video appear to be 'Guad Squad'.  Are there any residences there yet?  Or is it strictly a private yacht club with restaurant?  And is the restaurant open to the public, or only to members?

What is a "Guad Squad"? Is that some sort of profiling purely based on "appearance" but similar to New Brunswicker's being called herring chokers based on regionality and perceived diet of denizens of same? I have actually been at the club, invited by a member but never has herring been on the menu to my knowledge.

5 minutes ago, ned small said:

What is a "Guad Squad"? Is that some sort of profiling purely based on "appearance" but similar to New Brunswicker's being called herring chokers based on regionality and perceived diet of denizens of same? I have actually been at the club, invited by a member but never has herring been on the menu to my knowledge.

Yes, it is a form of profiling, but it's based on knowledge of the lower La Floresta area, and the Lakeside Mexican residents that live there full-time.

And as far as the Maritime provinces, yes, we have 'Herring Chokers' from New Brunswick, 'Blue Nosers' from Nova Scotia, and 'Spud Islanders' from Prince Edward Island.  I lived there for many years, and no one was offended by these terms.  In fact, if you're weren't born in the Maritimes, no matter how many years you lived there, you were a 'C.F.A.' (Come-from-away).

16 hours ago, suegarn said:

Yes, it is a form of profiling, but it's based on knowledge of the lower La Floresta area, and the Lakeside Mexican residents that live there full-time.

And as far as the Maritime provinces, yes, we have 'Herring Chokers' from New Brunswick, 'Blue Nosers' from Nova Scotia, and 'Spud Islanders' from Prince Edward Island.  I lived there for many years, and no one was offended by these terms.  In fact, if you're weren't born in the Maritimes, no matter how many years you lived there, you were a 'C.F.A.' (Come-from-away).

Or a Mainiac if you are from Maine.  

Guest bennie2

private club & i was a member for a time. when they know you they dont stop you. its for mexicans (either full time here or weekend people). someone can bring you in as a guest. seems they can build what they want.

I am one of those people who refer to the "Guad Squad." These are people from Guadalajara who have weekend homes here, or who come here to visit for a day or two on the weekends. It is not, to me, a pejorative term. Just means I have to either stay home on weekends or fight the aggressive traffic and beware of drivers who may be a couple of sails to the wind. It is the price I pay to live in an attractive place. No different from what people face in Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard, or any other place where people like to spend weekends.

We do the same as you here in Puerto Vallarta. Between the bus trips coming in from far away and the nationals who live in the general area every weekend sees a huge influx of folks enjoying the beach. Weekends belong to the Mexicans and that is fine with us and other expats we know. Sunday afternoons are not the best time to be on the roads in Mexico.  We get plenty of Guad Squaders also and we just hope they support the local economy.

Archived