Chapala.com Webboard

Ideas needed for lunch with Governor

1 hour ago, phil in mexico said:

The police in the lake area are just so predator in  there actions it is so apparent this is not inviting for tourists !

Please keep in mind that the "Transitos/Vialidad" are not the real Police.  The real  police are the first responders who are driving the red, green and white pick ups with Chapala Policia on the sides.

No doubt that SOME Transitos are thieves... and very good at it, as Spencer well knows.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You want serious suggestions? Try to fly this one up his flagpole - an eco tourism project which would complement the Malecon, and would cost very little money. I am suggesting they implement the Chinampa system on the lake. These are the floating gardens that thrive on shallow freshwater lakes. The vendors could sell fresh flowers year round. Once people overcome their fear of eating anything from lake soil, they could eventually grow anything - yes Maggie, even medical marijuana! The fun part is the boats, only electric or paddle stick allowed in the Chinampa area. Could be small "party" boats, with food vendors paddling among them, offering many fine snacks and meals. Could be Mexican style "gondolas" with the stickmen singing romantic boleros in the sunset. It is an everyone wins proposal. If it succeeds the benefits are exponential, if it fails, just take the islands away and sink them, no scars and no environmental waste. Chapala could show the world how an ancient Mexican farming system can still be commercially valid, and become an internationally known, eco-tourism destination.

Continue strengthening the structure and institutions of rule of law in Jalisco by introducing checks and balance that measure the performance of all elected, appointed and hired politicians and civil servants that hold them accountable. We see this being done for the teaching profession (who I see in today's news continue to behave disgracefully, at least in Oaxaca). Bring that sort of testing to all government services. While at it, maybe explain how to translate "accountability" into Spanish. Somehow, "responsibilidad" just does cut it.

Introduce succession planning so that any structural changes his admin makes are not undone by the whims of those who follow. This begins with building a professional and non-partisan civil service who do not get chucked and replaced with appointees of the next government. The current push to introduce a form of recall vote in the State is a a great step forward but will easily be undone by his successors.

Introduce budget spending transparency through adoption of open book accounting policy that is available to public scrutiny through a procedural process.. Hold services and institutions accountable for their budgets and their projects. This includes funding provided to municipalities.

Improving highway infrastructure and lighting is huge. So far, not a single one of the newer highway and bypass improvements made over the last decade have included proper on and off access ramps, and none provide access to or from Chapala-Ocotlan. The short little cutouts they call ramps here are a hazard and create traffic bottle necks, such as those on the Periferico and on Lopez Mateos. The strip of highway from Chapala to Sta Rosa is a hazard that needs a new base, proper lighting and places for people to pull off, people to walk etc. The dips in the curves between Chapala and Ixtlahuacan are a disgrace after so many years. The Ajijic Libramiento needs to be four laned, also with room for people to pull off or to walk.

Provide proper access to and from Chapala-Ocotlan from the Southern bypass. Provide proper access from the Zapotlanejo bypass to Chapala-Ocotlan that also can access the Cuota to Mexico City. Cleaning up that mess at Los Alamos is long overdue. Finally, build access points to the new bypass being built from San Juan Cosala and Jocotepec to help ease traffic conditions on our current carretera. I suppose building highways and ramps that don't come with built in hazards such as dips and unintended topes is asking for too much? I am still cringing at the planned solution for the Periferico at Lopez Mateos. I fear they are building another Alamos (how adequate that name is no?).

In fact, eliminate the dangerous and inefficient u-turns and bridges they seem to love building everywhere and build proper modern highway systems, ramps and bypasses with signage, drainage and lighting emergency stopping lanes to prevent the long traffic jams when  car breaks down, and places for people on bikes, horses or walking to use. Now wouldn't that be utopia?

Widen the Chapala-Jocotepec highway to 4 lanes while also providing sidewalks and bike path. Alternatively, build a bypass around the town such as was done in Zacatecas City. Connect Key towns like San Juan Cosala to the new bypass being built, again with proper on-off ramps in all directions, including access points to and from Chapala-Ocotlan at Sta Rosa.

That's it for now. I am sure I will think of others.

Oh and a word of advice from someone who has had similar honors in other places. Be respectful when you meet him but be assertive, not obsequious. This governor seems to be a good man, one who is likely on his way to a presidency. Treat the opportunity accordingly. and be competent and useful. Nevertheless bear in mind that he will always be our servant, not the other way around.

If the area infrastructure can be improved there is no doubt we have a wonderful opportunity to turn our part of the world into a world class resort, I am thinking Whistler as a model, minus the snow so we need to take advantage of what we do have here-heat, topography, thermal waters and quaint villages. This means building things for people to do besides coming here to eat. Projects like extending the malecons to the entire lakefront (like the wall in Vancouver that you cannot possibly walk in one day) and improved hiking trails in the Sierras. Building a first class emergency response and medical treatment center.  Providing parklands in the sierras and on the beachfront for biking, running or other sports events. Build raised parking complexes (like at Mercado de Abastos) then close the core blocks of each town to pedestrian traffic only. Consider the viability of a teliferico, perhaps from some of the old mine workings in the area (I am happy to provide assistance in verifying the underground workings or to recommend competent individuals :-). Zacatecas has done this very well, including the addition of an underground bar in the old mine workings that disturb no-one because of its underground location. Improve the cobblestone to something still attractive but walkable, or more importantly, "wheelable" for wheelchairs, baby buggies, and dare I say, for high heeled shoes.  Dredge the hazards from the lake of the culture built there during the last drought to make using the water safer and introduce water recreation activites. Build a large public sports center with tracks, pool etc (Like Colomos park and adjacent facilities in GDL). I can see Ajijic as a sort of Granville island to Chapala's greater Vancouver area, that is a center for art and gourmet foods with Chapala as the major tourist destination, and so on.The opportunities these changes will provide for local business, new and old, and the employment opportunities will also follow.... as they say, build it and they will come.

Good grief, I think I just described utopia again.....

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

You want serious suggestions? Try to fly this one up his flagpole - an eco tourism project which would complement the Malecon, and would cost very little money. I am suggesting they implement the Chinampa system on the lake. These are the floating gardens that thrive on shallow freshwater lakes. The vendors could sell fresh flowers year round. Once people overcome their fear of eating anything from lake soil, they could eventually grow anything - yes Maggie, even medical marijuana! The fun part is the boats, only electric or paddle stick allowed in the Chinampa area. Could be small "party" boats, with food vendors paddling among them, offering many fine snacks and meals. Could be Mexican style "gondolas" with the stickmen singing romantic boleros in the sunset. It is an everyone wins proposal. If it succeeds the benefits are exponential, if it fails, just take the islands away and sink them, no scars and no environmental waste. Chapala could show the world how an ancient Mexican farming system can still be commercially valid, and become an internationally known, eco-tourism destination.

Chillin that is an outstanding idea!

They're not really "floating" gardens...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinampa

It's a great idea but until they get the heavy metals out of the water and the soil that comprises the shore, I won't be using anything grown there. Which brings us full circle to getting the quality of the lake water improved and that probably involves an agreement with Guanajuato and Michoacán.

I want to mention a few items, not give him a laundry list.  We met at an event last year so my face should be familiar.  Im hoping to see him and his people more and to discuss concerns that are not controversial and that will have benefits for all people. 

Yes, these Chinampas would have to be truly floating, so they could withstand heavy waves, and could be moved if there was a major loss, or gain of water levels. As for soil, it is a matter of testing. They already made this mistake on the coast - the dredgers brought up everything, including a lot of clay, which is not good for gardening. I know the company, and their techniques, when they built the floating 14th green at Coer d'Helene resort. That was 1990, and that is one tough lake. As I see it, the two technical limitations are safe boarding and unboarding of boats, even to include handicapped/disabled. and whether a one room watchouse will be allowed on a Chinampa. This brings up waste removal, I think pump out latrines would be the only option.

For help from the Governor, you have to ask him for a name. Someone probably quite young, but charismatic, enthusiastic about environmental issues and comfortable with grassroots farmers, fishermen, and vendors. Of course - a PRI member. A project like this could really set this persons future. There are a lot of Federal funding programs which could apply to this initiative.

The singing "gondoliers could become a signature of the area as well. Like the "estudiantes" of many cities, after dark they roam the streets gaining a following crowd to listen to their beguiling ballads and beautiful boleros.

Guest bennie2

semalu, spencer is an adult, a professional, has a masters in law. he doesnt have to be told have to behave w/politicans. no need to tell him to "be respectful". he's way above most expats in that dept. 

3 hours ago, Intercasa said:

I want to mention a few items, not give him a laundry list.  We met at an event last year so my face should be familiar.  Im hoping to see him and his people more and to discuss concerns that are not controversial and that will have benefits for all people. 

Well done Spencer, spoken like a true politician. I suppose what you bring up depends on what your game plan is and your motives for them. The controversy you speak of is really just another word for progress. If you really mean what you say then embrace it. That is what will bring benefits for all people, and not just the select few.

I dont want to nag but let him know I am a resource with knowledge of issues facing foreigners so that I will get to meet the people in his cabinet that can help.  Mentioning a few things that benefit foreigners and locals will be best and then see when we can meet next to discuss more or who would be the proper person to act as a liaison between his office and the foreigners.  Im a believer in presenting issues but also ones with solutions that are attainable as nobody wants to feel helpless.  

57 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

Thought there was a local expat commitee that harry b was top man of that frequently had meetings with local politicians, and a person in ajijic municipio that look after expat affairs..maybe they and spencer should get together.

Not really.

On 3/4/2016 at 10:28 PM, barcelonaman said:

Lots of good points here. For me the side streets particularly in san antonio and ajijic are in dreadful state. Potholes. Uneven cobbles. Any chance they can at least level the roads like colon?

Whats the situation with the restaurant at ajijic malecon? Empty its an eyesore.has permission been granted to let it open or not. If not demolish it.

The people of San Antonio had the opportunity to have work done on Gonzalez Gallo and Indepedencia, new water and sewer lines and repaved with cement. Renovation of the Plaza was also planned, I believe the money came from the state. However, the locals voted against it. So, Libertad was redone instead, (but only three quarters with the top quarter left as it was). So, if the locals like the roads the way they are . . . . ?

Spencer, I think improving the roads is an achievable project. Paving between Guad and Chapala, widen the libramiento, dualize the road between Ajijic and Chapala, dualize between Ajijic and Joco, do a go around Ajijic like they did Joco

There should be no need to do an emissions test on a vehicle prior to being 3 or possibly 4 years old nor need for an emissions test more frequent than annually. It is simply a money grab. 

And while lakeside has areas needing improvement it has far more pluses.

Buen Fin

Sonia

Just seems to me that all these parties should take advantage of spencers meeting.obviously some things are trivial and either need to be ignored or sorted at local level. I'm not used to this municipal, state, federal carry on, that's why I asked earlier.

Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Anyway whoever is in charge of this website should once again review the slow speed of it.

9 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

Anyway whoever is in charge of this website should once again review the slow speed of it.

Agree...and maybe fix the "edit" function?

Have a good lunch Spencer...and good luck with establishing meaningful relationship with the Governor.

Archived