Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic Lirio

HarryB

Do people in Guadalajara use tap water for cooking, bathing, and for washing dishes and clothing? How do you feel about directly spraying glyphosate on one of your city's major water sources? In particular, considering that young children are advised to avoid contact with it, are you concerned about its effect on the health of your young son?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way Round up is so safe that it is banned in France and other European countries so I would not be so sure it is harmless. At our age it maybe but I would think it is not for kids.

If you go to any farming area glysophate signs are everywhere so it is on fruit and vegetables too.

You cannot escape chemicals, last week we were driving in Tabasco and were surrounded by banana plantations and here came a plane spraying their chemicals. The bananas were ok they were protected by plastic wrappers but none of the workers wore mask and neither did we as we were driving down the road.

Do people in Guadalajara use tap water for cooking, bathing, and for washing dishes and clothing? How do you feel about directly spraying glyphosate on one of your city's major water sources? In particular, considering that young children are advised to avoid contact with it, are you concerned about its effect on the health of your young son?

We don't use it for cooking or drinking,but for bathing, washing dishes and clothes,etc we do.

Maybe I'm wrong,but if I thought that contact with it was harmful we'd be using agua de garrafon for everything,but I don't.

Glyphosate may not be as harmless as Monsanto would have us all believe. Pregnant women and young children are advised to avoid contact with it. It does not completely dissolve into a harmless acid which is absorbed by the soil...it has been detected in groundwater. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is currently reevaluating its regulations for allowable limits in drinking water. The largest source of glyphosate in drinking water is from agricultural runoff. Considering how much of the water in the lake is from agricultural runoff, the lake may already exceed allowable limits of glyphosate.

Let's not forget that the city of Guadalajara draws something between 10-20 percent of its tap water from the lake. If we had a similar problem with water hyacinth in the U.S. or Canada, would it be acceptable to spray glyphosate on tap water reservoirs?

In what concentrations are people being advised to avoid contact with it? The highly dilute result of spraying or the spray itself. What agricultural use? On land or water?

A lot of speculation here and very little fact. Here's the fact we know--it was done here, it worked and no one has found or proven any ill effects from its use in Lake Chapala.

It is the only thing that works on Lirio. The choice is simple--use it or have a weed choked swamp that used to be called Lake Chapala.

I certainly hope that Mexico exercises more sense and less sensationalism that seems to be rampant in the U.S. and Europe these days. Because first this country needs to get the basic of environmental cleanup done before they start trying to gild the lily.

There's some serious environmental work that needs to be done here, namely stop allowing these multi-national corporations to pollute the Lerma when they darned well have all the technology to prevent it and in fact are using it when they are required to do so. End the corruption that allows them to get away with this.

Fix this corrupt joke of an emissions program and clear the air over GDL. Mexico City did it, so can GDL.

Treat all the sewage from GDL. Stop diverting 70 percent of the Lake's water for highly wasteful irrigation. Do the basic environmental cleanup first before you obsess over the last few percent. That's how it was done in the U.S. 50 years ago and it worked.

It's called start with the basics and go from there.

A lot of speculation here and very little fact.

Well, here's a little fact for you...right on the Roundup label:

Toxic to aquatic organisms and non-target plants. Avoid direct applications to any body of water. Do not contaminate water by disposal of waste or cleaning of equipment. Observe buffer zones specified under “Directions for Use” (i.e. refer to booklet)

Need more facts? Here you go:

Glyphosate’s Suppression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Acid Biosynthesis by the Gut Microbiome: Pathways to Modern Diseases

https://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/Entropy/entropy-15-01416.pdf

I may have to eat my sombrero...

Don't get the hot sauce out just yet. I've been walking the malecon every morning and I noticed starting last Thursday morning that the lirio seemed to be disappearing, couldn't tell what was happening but there was less of it. And then Friday and more so Saturday morning the pattern was continuing. I don't mean to lessen the kudos for all those who worked to pull it out of the lake but the timing was ideal.

Alex the glyphosate widely used for pond weeds in the U.S. is a special aqueous formula. Made specifically for this use. Water hyancinth is a huge problem in the southern U.S.A., as is eurasian milfoil - there are inspections of towed boats, for example, to make sure no weeds are on the propellors which can be transferred to other waters.

Monsanto is a hot button word for some people, just like islamism is for others.

Alex the glyphosate widely used for pond weeds in the U.S. is a special aqueous formula. Made specifically for this use. Water hyancinth is a huge problem in the southern U.S.A., as is eurasian milfoil - there are inspections of towed boats, for example, to make sure no weeds are on the propellors which can be transferred to other waters.

Monsanto is a hot button word for some people, just like islamism is for others.

Thanks for that info, Chillin. I looked it up and discovered that Monsanto makes AquaMaster for use in ponds and lakes. The label includes an advisory that the resulting rotting plant material will cause oxygen loss in the water that may kill the fish. All things considered, I'd just as well keep glyphosate out of our lake.

Yes, Monsanto is a hot button issue. Especially in Mexico, where a major court case regarding the use of glyphosates and genetically modified corn are currently being adjudicated. While this case is in progress, the courts have ordered a ban on introducing genetically modified corn and restrictions on the use of glyphosates.

Archived