Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic Lirio

HarryB

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did that about 10 years ago, you wade in the water get a handful of lirio and dump it on the pikle on the beach.

Ten years ago contractors like Gustavo Marquez were involve. Actually he is the one who recruited us. The water where the lirio is a little smelly but we survived. AT the time they were Mexicans and foreigners doing it.

This is the same way they started about eight years ago before they used Round Up on the whole lake and got the job done right. It grows faster than human hands can remove it but it gives those who participate some exercise, chance to meet people with a common goal and a lot of laughs and muddy fun. It doesn't work at all, but it is one of those " feel good" things some folks enjoy. Besides, we have to pay for a mud bath everywhere else. This one is free!

I could get it shifted overnight. Get some Lirio up on the shore to dry, ask the government to donate a few of their confiscated 'bales', mix it all up, start some burning (with lots of smoke, drums and costumes) and the mysterious ancient herb, as used in the Mezcales Sacred Smoke Festival is born! Lake loses its lirio (it will be sold on the streets of LA within two days), a new annual festival - win/win!

i doubt the volunteers will make much of an impression, but dont doubt the commitment. however was noted that the new mayor in chapala has asked the federal government for funds to clean up the lirio, but no mention of other towns. this was reported monday in el informador, and i posted the link. cant the mayors get to get together on this ?

a jcb would probably make a difference, can you rent one for a day?

I'm pretty sure I heard a car driving around Ajijic today with a loudspeaker recruiting volunteers to show up to help. I think they were calling for an 8am start time. I imagine the same car will be driving around tomorrow, too. I remember it being done exactly this way last time it was bad, maybe 2010 or 2008.

I'm sure there were naysayers even then. Still, I remember it getting done this way and making a huge difference.

Roundup is being banned in a lot of places as a cancer causing agent. I wouldn't want it being used if I were drinking water in Guad.

All the wells in the area probably get some of their water from the lake also. I really wouldn't want the water table around here contaminated.

Human removal should help some and it is definitely safe

They did this in Chapala last weekend and the other day I saw no difference, it was cleared by then more came back, it is a good thing maybe if they do it monthly it will make a dent in the problem.

it always comes from the east, so until thats cleaned from that end first up no matter what we do locally it will still drift by wind or current. i passed chapala today and saw no difference despite the valient efforts and unfortunately i doubt that saturdays volunters will make much difference either.seems weed killer is a no no, so for me the municpios needs to get there heads together and ask as chapala has done for federal help.

if people want to help great,but needs more than man power. maybe the business's along the malecons in chapala, ajijic etc can donate some money to hire a machine.its their livihood.

This is the same way they started about eight years ago before they used Round Up on the whole lake and got the job done right. It grows faster than human hands can remove it but it gives those who participate some exercise, chance to meet people with a common goal and a lot of laughs and muddy fun. It doesn't work at all, but it is one of those " feel good" things some folks enjoy. Besides, we have to pay for a mud bath everywhere else. This one is free!

round up is POISON ....... the lake needs no more poisons than it already has

Archived