Chapala.com Webboard

Better not try to drive across the border this week

Mainecoons

I just got this email:

EMERGENCY MESSAGE FOR U.S. CITIZENS: MASS PROTESTS AND POINTS OF ENTRY BLOCKADES EXPECTED FROM TIJUANA TO MATAMOROS ON DECEMBER 8, 2014

This message is to inform U.S. citizens of significantly delayed crossing times and of the potential closure of many of the points of entry (POEs) between the United States and Mexico due to multiple protests on Monday December 8th, 2014, starting at 10:00 AM.

The protests concern changes in Mexican customs regulations for the importation of vehicles. While protestors are only looking to block POEs with heavy commercial traffic, there is a possibility that other POEs into the U.S. could also be affected. At this time, there is no information that leads us to believe that these protests would be violent. However, demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence at any time. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid areas of demonstrations, and to exercise caution if in the vicinity of any protests.

U.S. Citizens are strongly encouraged to monitor local news outlets for information about possible protests and POE closures in their area. In the past, similar protests have paralyzed bridge traffic between Eastern Texas and the Mexican State of Tamaulipas. Points of entry that have remained open have experienced long delays.

Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates and any news of other protest activity throughout the country of Mexico. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling or residing abroad enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment allows you to receive the Department’s safety and security updates, and makes it easier for the nearest U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you do not have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Regularly monitor the State Department’s website where you can find current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution, and read the Country Specific Information for your destination countries. For additional information, refer to the "Traveler's Checklist" on the State Department's website. Current information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free from within the United States and Canada, or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

Over our years here 2 of our gardeners have had a small business going to Texas and buying 8 year old trucks and SUVs, importing them, and then selling them at what they said is a 300% or more profit. They buy them off those trashy corner lots in snall towns away from the border so I would suppose they get a hard run ranch truck at a low price. So I can see where the issue might garner more interest than would be readily apparent.

I wonder if the stink is about the new regulations requiring the U.S. export certification in order to import. Also, apparently they've blocked the importation of older vehicles altogether so the guys who have been importing clunkers are unhappy too.

Or maybe they are angry because all the guys they've been bribing for years are either gone or cleaned up.

Mexico wants to make it as hard and expensive to import anything while demanding the right to export endlessly both people and goods in the other direction.

I am appreciative that this and several other boards carried all the news of the latest but probably not last very good reasons not to import vehicles to this country. It saved me a real headache.

Thanks for posting.

Spencer thanks for clarification below.

A typical month ~45000 vehicles were being imported, few of those are by expats. Majority are transport trucks full of vehicles by commercial operators and Mexicans importing a smaller number for personal use or to re-sell.

We seldom hear of any vehicle being nationalized even at border right now. I am told it is the 3 large auto dealer associations who are forcing Aduana to discourage nationalizing.

It is also my understanding that Aduana at places like Nogales can not import so they scan and send documents to Aduana at Juarez for approval. This is because of the investigations of some brokers and Aduana staff etc. The half day process at the border I believe is no more and takes noticeably longer for this reason.

Sonia

Sonia, the requirement to export is a Mexican requirement, please see the Official Federal Register dated August 29, 2014

http://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_to_imagen_fs.php?codnota=5358231&fecha=29/08/2014&cod_diario=260181

It is the Second Section, if you download the MS Word document it is on page 93

3.1.35. Para los efectos del artículo 36-A, fracción I, incisos a) y d) de la Ley, en la importación definitiva de vehículos usados tanto a la franja o región fronteriza, como al interior del país, se deberá anexar al pedimento, la factura correspondiente y el título de propiedad del vehículo a nombre del importador o endosado a favor del mismo, así como el documento que demuestre la exportación del país de donde procede el vehículo; para el caso de los vehículos que proceden de los Estados Unidos de América, la factura y el título de propiedad referidos, deberán contener el sello de la autoridad aduanera de dicho país, que certifique la legal exportación del vehículo.

Yeah, well I'm not much interested in vehicle importation laws & changes (daily) as I don't have a vehicle. What I am interested in is the OP's original post as I am traveling to Laredo this week. I have done a news and State Dept. search and don't find anything. Info? Thanx,

The protests are scheduled for Monday EMERGENCY MESSAGE FOR U.S. CITIZENS: MASS PROTESTS AND POINTS OF ENTRY BLOCKADES EXPECTED FROM TIJUANA TO MATAMOROS ON DECEMBER 8, 2014

This message is to inform U.S. citizens of significantly delayed crossing times and of the potential closure of many of the points of entry (POEs) between the United States and Mexico due to multiple protests on Monday December 8th, 2014, starting at 10:00 AM.

Archived