Chapala.com Webboard

When is the "shelling" scheduled to stop?

Serenity6

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cohetes:

Low-power explosive consisting of a tube filled with gunpowder paper or cardboard attached to the end of a rod into the air, relighting by a wick in its lower part, and when it reaches its greatest height, producing bursts a loud noise or effects of light and color; usually used in traditional festivals and other celebrations.

Remember in Spanish the 'h' is silent so our maestra taught us that it's pronounced coetes.

Cuates cuetes con cacahuates y cohetes, ay caray!

I don't know the answer to the op's question but, I gotta tell ya that I laughed out loud at the subject matter. "Shelling" describes it perfectly. Thanks for the laugh.

imho, the most we can hope for is a "ceasefire" now and then until January.

Yes, an exaggeration in the sense I'm not getting blown to bits. However, shattered windows and occasional short term hearing damage is not an exaggeration. But I'm slowly learning that sarcasm is verboten to a small minority on this site,

"Ceasefire". Perfect! I love it.

Curious if anyone knows what is the reason behind having nine or so days of shelling before/after the celebratory day in question? Is it for a specific reason? Does all of Mexico share the same time period (eg nine days in this case) for cohetes?

Thanks for the spell check. I think I spell it incorrectly each time.

And for hopefully the last time, YES I get it's the culture here, and I'm not saying their culture should stop. And if one more person says "get ear plugs and relax"...... Gee.....such wise insight, I never thought of earplugs. (I buy them in bulk for this purpose.). And "relax". That's funniness. Some are louder than others, depending where you live and what method of shelling is used. If you can relax near your exploding windows,you are far more zen than me.

Why can I just ask a simple question about how long it's expected to last without the unsolicited commentary that i should relax, use earplugs, accept its the culture, and what not? Gah.

Serenity6, we have been more fortunate than you have in that we have only ducked for cover 2 or 3 times. The rest of the time the cohetes are far enough away that they only disturb our sleep ... not reck it :) Our maid told me that this particular celebration will be over tonight. I think we will have a rest for a bit ... and I am not sure but I think the poster that said that the next round will start 9 days before the even might have also been "exaggerating" .... hopefully. However, from now until January we are likely to have a lot more.

I know that some on this board say these cohetes do not bother them and that they put in ear plugs and relax ... but I wonder if they are in the thick of it. I know that if we were in an area of town where they are the loudest all the time ... we would have to sell and move to another location where the noise is not so great. You know, there are many here that are hard of hearing and maybe don't even realize it. We have two sets of neighbo

rs that are really nice, wonderful, considerate people ... except they don't know they are partially deaf. They shout. Many times we hear their private conversations they are having in their home .... in our home. Now, I know that these people would not want us to know some of the things they discuss ....... So, when I read some of these comments about relaxing with ear plugs, I know that the person making this comment does not hear the same as I do when I have on ear plugs ... and they are just like my parents were .... they don't want to admit it, possibly?

I hope you get some peace as I do know consistent loud noise and consistent shocks to the nervous system is a form of torture to some of us.

The custom is related to the traditional nine day church celebrations of saint‘s days, etc., ‘novenas‘ and such. There will be, in Mexico, such a nine day fiesta somewhere near you about every ten days. You will get used to it and even the loudest cohetes won‘t bother you any more; possibly because the first thousand or so have slightly damaged your hearing. Dogs get used to the noise unless their owners react badly. Then, they cower too.

Other neighborhood celebrations will also involve noise of a happy sort at 5:00 or 6:30 in the morning if it is someone‘s birthday. A brass band is likely to arrive and play “Las Mañanitas“ several times for your enjoyment. It will also happen on Mother‘s Day. Then, from midnight to the wee small hours, you may occasionally hear a young maiden (possibly) being serenaded by a potential novio, with just a guitar, or even a full and very loud ‘banda‘, depending upon his resources.

Oh yes! Must not forget the frequent visits to your neighborhood ‘templos‘ by the various virgens; Lady of the Lake, Virgen of Zapopan, Virgen of Guadelupe, etc., etc.

Every political occasion will involve a parade, maybe right past your house.

Every quinceañero will involve a loud party, lots of music and even cohetes from 5PM until maybe 5AM.

Then, sooner or later, there will be private eventos, motorcycles, car alarms, barking dogs, and other things that go bump in the night.

Through it all, remember that you moved to Mexico by choice and that you will not change it. Time to join in the fun, adapt and accept.

Guest bennie2

there is a page on facebook (in spanish) written by mexicans who are complaining. i was told not to mention this again (by the mod). but since my mex friend informed me of these comments, i am posting. will try get the name of the facebook member.

Guest bennie2

rvgringo: you have a limited view of mexico. this town is what it is, & there are 100s of others which are different, not so noisy. these customs are for workers, not professionals. if you have to get up early or focus on something you are not out all night w/explosives. the reason why some elderly expats move here, is because they lost their hearing & dont know the difference. you are correct, explosives are used here for many holidays.

This festival is for St Andares isn't it? He is the patron St of Ajijic. So this is the biggest or one of the biggest. Wonderful costillos (sp?) Carnival rides for the younguns and streets lined with vendors. It is a time to celebrate. Fortunately we live in La Floresta but when I came down this time 9 years ago to finalize details on our house, stayed at a b&b next to LCS boy was it loud I will never forget. I totally understand and thought that shelling was a funny way to put it. Sometimes it seems as if people are overly sensitive to any perceived critiques of out piece of paradise. Laugh more!

Slainte, hello, sunshine!!

I was quite literally counting down the minutes knowing you would post exactly what you did. Aren't you charming!

Bennie, you were seriously cautioned by a mod not to post the fact that some locals do not appreciate loud noise? Mods, really? Why? It's a legitimate complaint and issue. Bennie is not calling for a revolution or riot against the noise.

Luke, thanks for the much needed laughs. I too figured some of the people who are not bothered may likely not live in close proximity to the booms, or are stone deaf.

Thanks to all who have educated me on the various customs.

Archived