Chapala.com Webboard

Are there authorized car dealers in the Chapala area?

Agreed that used cars can sometimes be more expensive in Jalisco ... but consider the following:

- it will maintain a higher resale value

- anyone can drive a Mexican-plated car (with valid driver's license)

- no extra expenses to go to the states (hotel, flight, bus, drive, gas, time, etc)

- you can sell the car legally in Mexico, whereas a U.S.-plated car will have to leave Mexico

- by eliminating the Tenencia tax - annual licensing fees have been reduced drastically

Agreed that used cars can sometimes be more expensive in Jalisco ... but consider the following:

- it will maintain a higher resale value

- anyone can drive a Mexican-plated car (with valid driver's license)

- no extra expenses to go to the states (hotel, flight, bus, drive, gas, time, etc)

- you can sell the car legally in Mexico, whereas a U.S.-plated car will have to leave Mexico

- by eliminating the Tenencia tax - annual licensing fees have been reduced drastically

SHHHH! Please, don't say this too loudly or it could return. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey Willie, did you find out if they actually have the car? Did you go look at it? Did you confirm the factura?

Or did you just look at at a few internet listings and assume that what you see is what you get?

Nope. When I've bought my used cars down here, what I have done is go talk to the sales manager at the used department. The last time I did this was at Dalton Toyota in Guadalajara. I gave the manager a list of the things I wanted, including model, trim level, year(s), mileage, condition, and a general price range. It helps if you are looking for a popular model (I was looking for a Camry, which is a very popular model in Guadalajara). We had the deal done in 7 weeks. I think he called about 3 times in total and I rejected the first 2. Make sure you tell the manager it's going to be a cash deal, because they would usually deal with you than having to waste their time qualifying people who are financing.

The longest it has taken is 9 weeks and the shortest was 3 weeks. All in all it's a pretty simple process. If you're worried about the language barrier, simply hire a local language teacher and pay them a fair salary for their time. It's really pretty simple, and the cars here aren't THAT much more expensive than NOB. I've always payed from peso accounts, so the exchange rate has never factored into my decision. If you're converting currencies, then that becomes somewhat of an issue.

S&S charges $5,000p to find you a vehicle and Mark Turford charges $3,000p and we highly recommend Mark, he is very thorough and does all the footwork for you.

Nope. When I've bought my used cars down here, what I have done is go talk to the sales manager at the used department. The last time I did this was at Dalton Toyota in Guadalajara. I gave the manager a list of the things I wanted, including model, trim level, year(s), mileage, condition, and a general price range. It helps if you are looking for a popular model (I was looking for a Camry, which is a very popular model in Guadalajara). We had the deal done in 7 weeks. I think he called about 3 times in total and I rejected the first 2. Make sure you tell the manager it's going to be a cash deal, because they would usually deal with you than having to waste their time qualifying people who are financing.

The longest it has taken is 9 weeks and the shortest was 3 weeks. All in all it's a pretty simple process. If you're worried about the language barrier, simply hire a local language teacher and pay them a fair salary for their time. It's really pretty simple, and the cars here aren't THAT much more expensive than NOB. I've always payed from peso accounts, so the exchange rate has never factored into my decision. If you're converting currencies, then that becomes somewhat of an issue.

This is a really good idea and answer. Thank you for it. :)

If you buy a car on the intetnet in Mexico you need to know what you are doing. I have done it but I think I was lucky. If you buy a used car from one of the big agencies eg Honda or Toyota in guad you dont dont need luck.It is simple. The used cars are guaranteed. I am sure you can do it on your own without any help even if you dont speak spanish. All you need to be able to do is get to guad or get a taxi driver to take you. I AM SURE YOU DONT NEED ANY MIDDLE MAN. They just take your money off you.

If you buy a car on the intetnet in Mexico you need to know what you are doing. I have done it but I think I was lucky. If you buy a used car from one of the big agencies eg Honda or Toyota in guad you dont dont need luck.It is simple. The used cars are guaranteed. I am sure you can do it on your own without any help even if you dont speak spanish. All you need to be able to do is get to guad or get a taxi driver to take you. I AM SURE YOU DONT NEED ANY MIDDLE MAN. They just take your money off you.

The problem here is the dealers all have only a few 2009, 2010, more 2011, 2012 used vehicles and I want a SUV and they don´t have any or one or two sometimes. They charge so much more and I don´t want to spend close to $200,000 pesos for a second vehicle. I am forced to look at one owner private or a used car lot which here charge more because they all think you want to pay 1/3 down and make payments. I have been advised to not buy anything from private sellers that are second owners. I want a 2007 or 2006 or even 2005 SUV.

I have just spent another sleepless night worrying about what to do regarding my CDN plated car. I suppose I am going to have to buy a good, used, Mexican plated vehicle at some point between now and the end of October. Are ther any authorized dealers Lakeside?

No, there are no authorized dealers at Lakeside. Your only local option is to use S&S, which is using an agent to represent you. Guadalajara has many, many, many authorized dealerships. We bought a new car, on our own, at a Guadalajara dealership. The car is in for a problem that is covered by the warranty. I emailed the dealership, called the national office to order a tow truck. Today I will pick up my repaired car. There was no charge for any of this. The national office has English-speaking people. The Guadalajara dealership has English-speaking people. I primarily communicate with them via email.

The problem here is the dealers all have only a few 2009, 2010, more2011, 2012 used vehicles and I want a SUV and they don´t have any or one or two sometimes. They charge so much more and I don´t want to spend over $220,000 pesos for a second vehicle. I am forced to look at one owner private or a used car lot which here charge more because they all think you want to pay 1/3 down and make payments. I have been advised to not but anything from private sellers that are second owners. I want a 2007 or 2006 or even 2005 SUV.

It is easy. I just found a honda crv 2008, $205,000 on internet at Toyota Dalton semi nuevos in Guad Lopez Mateos.

Buying semi new cars from the agencies in Guad is easy. All the papers are in order and they are NOT stolen and have guarantees.

People are trying to convince YOU that it is difficult, its not, IF you buy from the agencies and you get the better deals. I would even let a 17 year old or 80 years old buy a car from the big agencies in guad that doesnt even speak English.

I have a freind at Lakeside and she paid someone ... a dealer from her to help her buy her a car in Guad. He charged her $5,000 and he possible got a tip from the agency. She says it was a very expensive ride to Guad. She realised AFTER she really didnt need him.

Of course you need an expert to help you get a car from a used car lot and a lot of luck.

It is easy. I just found a honda crv 2008, $205,000 on internet at Toyota Dalton semi nuevos in Guad Lopez Mateos.

Buying semi new cars from the agencies in Guad is easy. All the papers are in order and they are NOT stolen and have guarantees.

People are trying to convince YOU that it is difficult, its not, IF you buy from the agencies and you get the better deals. I would even let a 17 year old or 80 years old buy a car from the big agencies in guad that doesnt even speak English.

I have a freind at Lakeside and she paid someone ... a dealer from her to help her buy her a car in Guad. He charged her $5,000 and he possible got a tip from the agency. She says it was a very expensive ride to Guad. She realised AFTER she really didnt need him.

Of course you need an expert to help you get a car from a used car lot and a lot of luck.

I am inclined now to think the small buildings and showrooms all the new car dealers here have are not as well financed as the dealers in Guadalajara are. In Nov. we bought a 2013 VW Clasico with a $13,000.00 peso discount but knew someone who was a friend of a salesman there. It was easy. We paid out the door $221,000 pesos. See why another $200,000 pesos is hard to swallow at this moment for a big well used vehicle.

In San Diego I see these for much less as people have flooded the market with 5 to 8 year old high mileage SUVs now.

Going for a week to Guadalajara will be productive I feel, and we have a place we can stay there.

There are so many new car dealers in Guadalajara that you will find shopping there easy. Some of them have multiple locations and all of them have good trades available.

As others have indicated; it is easy, the dealers take care of all paperwork and plates, some even arrange insurance and deliver to homes at Lakeside. It is usually more pleasant than dealing with the typical used car salesman in the USA. These folks are patient, friendly and honest. There is no need to hesitate to shop for a car in Guadalajara. Most dealerships will have someone who speaks some English, or you can take a friend with you to help with the language.

Six years after buying a new car in Guadalajara, I still get a hug and a kiss from the pretty young lady who sold it to me. Coffee and cookies are optional.

S&S Auto does NOT charge to take you into Guad to buy a new car; and he is an authorized representative for most of the dealers. Fair, impartial, honest, reliable and deals effectively in Spanish. I can not believe the misinformation that appears from so many on this forum.

S&S Auto does NOT charge to take you into Guad to buy a new car; and he is an authorized representative for most of the dealers. Fair, impartial, honest, reliable and deals effectively in Spanish. I can not believe the misinformation that appears from so many on this forum.

I second that. Never had any regrets buying through S&S and would likely do so again if the need arises.

In 2012 I didn't need Spencer (the S&S Auto variety) to interface with dealers in Guad. I speak fluent Spanish. Instead, I commissioned Spencer to locate a particular high-end, brand new Volkswagen in a certain model, trim and color. This particular VW is built only in Bavaria, Germany. Its top-of-the-line versions are scarce even in the U.S.. We gave Spencer a week to locate the car in the exact specifications I'd requested.

I hadn't been able to locate one in the online inventories of any Texas dealers. So by day six here it was a foregone conclusion that we had wasted our time and would have to move on. Then, on the 7th day, Spencer telephoned to say he had located precisely the car I was looking for, down to the nittiest, grittiest detail. I was stunned. It was a dazzling piece of automotive legerdemain. And I didn't pay a peso extra.

BTW: I rate both my SUV and Spencer at the top in fit and finish.

Posted Yesterday, 06:21 AM by hensley

S&S charges $5,000p to find you a vehicle and Mark Turford charges $3,000p and we highly recommend Mark, he is very thorough and does all the footwork for you.

I am not the only one who says s and s charged $5,000 to find you a vechicle. The good news is it seems as though NOW he doesnt charge but he used to. So it is not misinformation just outdated.

Happy Feet: If you are buying a new vehicle, there is no charge to you. I have lived in Ajijic for nearly 11 years and during that time, as far as I know, S&S has never charged for a new vehicle purchase. S&S has charged for finding you a used vehicle, not new. Get your facts straight before you post!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:55 AM RVGRINGO

There are so many new car dealers in Guadalajara that you will find shopping there easy. Some of them have multiple locations and all of them have good trades available.

As others have indicated; it is easy, the dealers take care of all paperwork and plates, some even arrange insurance and deliver to homes at Lakeside. It is usually more pleasant than dealing with the typical used car salesman in the USA. These folks are patient, friendly and honest. There is no need to hesitate to shop for a car in Guadalajara. Most dealerships will have someone who speaks some English, or you can take a friend with you to help with the language.

Six years after buying a new car in Guadalajara, I still get a hug and a kiss from the pretty young lady who sold it to me. Coffee and cookies are optional.

It is so easy and safe to buy a used car from one of the big agenices in Guad. S and S have charged in the past to help people buy used cars from the agencies No middle man is needed. But if you wish throw your money away go ahead.Of course use a middle man that you really trust if you buy from anywhere else that is not the agency.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:55 AM RVGRINGO

It is so easy and safe to buy a used car from one of the big agenices in Guad. S and S have charged in the past to help people buy used cars from the agencies No middle man is needed. But if you wish throw your money away go ahead.Of course use a middle man that you really trust if you buy from anywhere else that is not the agency.

Look if you are comfortable than by all means go for it but many of us lack language or other skills for buying a car in Mexico. The two folks mentioned here will do a good job with a used car but someone has to pay them and that is you. Now new hard to be S&S Spenser. My roommate bought a new Nissan March and he did a great job. No hassles and he knows his cars.

Archived