Chapala.com Webboard

US Passport Renewal Expedited?

Is there a way that I could get my US passport renewed by April 1 (or even by April 3rd by the very latest)?  If so, I'm expecting that it will cost something more and that's OK within reason.  Thanks in advance for any information or other help with this.--El Toro

One other thing, I would be getting on a plane in Colorado and landing in Guadalajara on the 8th of April.  My passport expires on the 10th of April.  Would they even let me on the plane or, if so, let me through customs in Mexico?  BTW, I am a Residente Permanente in Mexico.

i am in texas and i sent my passport in for renewal on the 5th of feb. i got it back on the 15th of feb. much quicker than i expected and i did pay the extra 60 dollars for expedited service. it took my wife 12 days to get hers back. YRMV

I live in Mexico.  Is there a way to expedite passport renewal in Guadalajara?  Someone who one can pay to expedite renewal, for example.  I would be flying out of Guadalajara on April 4 and returning on April 8th.  My current US passport expires on April 10th, so I'm afraid that Mexican immigration would deny my flying back to Mexico with only three days (including flight day) left on my US passport.  Any thoughts about this or similar experiences?

On 3/1/2024 at 10:37 AM, El Toro Furioso said:

One other thing, I would be getting on a plane in Colorado and landing in Guadalajara on the 8th of April.  My passport expires on the 10th of April.  Would they even let me on the plane or, if so, let me through customs in Mexico?  BTW, I am a Residente Permanente in Mexico.

It is a gamble, but; As a Residente Permenente,... the Mexican gov't is VERY accommodating. 

"...flying out of Guadalajara on April 4 and returning on April 8th.  My current US passport expires on April 10th, so I'm afraid that Mexican immigration would deny my flying back to Mexico with only three days (including flight day) left on my US passport.  "

I don't see what your problem is if you are returning to MX with a passport that HAS NOT EXPIRED.  Going to "expire in 3 days" - so what, it won't BE expired. I would suggest you take your trip as planned. Make appointment with GDL on the 9th and apply for renewal.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, El Toro Furioso said:

Thanks Whipstock.  But if there is even a slight chance that I would lose that gamble, I would be in a very bad situation.  

"Therefore we recommend that your passport, regardless of country of origin, should be valid for a minimum period of six months, however long you intend to stay to avoid any potential problems at the port of entry.

Immigration authorities at the port of entry may allow or deny entry of any person into Mexico. If you have a passport that is valid for less than six months and you intend to stay in Mexico for a short period of time —perhaps a vacation— the Immigration Officer might allow you entry, especially if you can show a return air ticket."

https://www.mexperience.com/mexico-essentials/mexico-entry-requirements/#ReqRes

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ibarra said:

"...flying out of Guadalajara on April 4 and returning on April 8th.  My current US passport expires on April 10th, so I'm afraid that Mexican immigration would deny my flying back to Mexico with only three days (including flight day) left on my US passport.  "

I don't see what your problem is if you are returning to MX with a passport that HAS NOT EXPIRED.  Going to "expire in 3 days" - so what, it won't BE expired. I would suggest you take your trip as planned. Make appointment with GDL on the 9th and apply for renewal.

Assuming that the airline even boards them..... Will you will be at the GDLairport to explain to the oficial de inmigración that they need to change the rules for the OP? 

Returning to the USA with a soon to expire or an expired passport is fine.  Entering a foreign country requires a passport that is valid usually for 6 months or possibly a return ticket before the passport expires.. The airline mignt not issue a ticket under the circumstances the OP gives. If they have a ticket they might be refused boarding. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Assuming that the airline even boards them..... Will you will be at the GDLairport to explain to the oficial de inmigración that they need to change the rules for the OP? 

Returning to the USA with a soon to expire or an expired passport is fine.  Entering a foreign country requires a passport that is valid usually for 6 months or possibly a return ticket before the passport expires.. The airline mignt not issue a ticket under the circumstances the OP gives. If they have a ticket they might be refused boarding. 

He said his passport doesn't expire until the 10th. He arrives in MX on the 8th.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

All of these discussions regarding time of passport validity are moot for the OP.

The OP has more than enough time to renew their passport at the US Consulate in GDL.   I have seen Passports remewed in less than 10 days, and USA visas renewed the same day in "emergency" circumstances. 

• Like 3

New Question about the same topic.  My passport expires on the 10th of April 2024.  I return to Mexico on the 8th.  Do they have to let me in?  If so, why can't I show up to renew on the 9th or the 10th?  Am I putting myself at risk?  If not, then I shouldn't have to worry about anything until my return.  Right?  Legally right but questionable?  Not smart because risky?  What would you do?  Thanks for any input since I'm being put in a position that might force me to take risky decisions.

You need to make an appointment for renewal ASAP if you haven't already done this per all of the replies urging you to do it.  The question isn't if MX will let you in.  If the U.S. allows you on the plane then you will be let in.  Your immigration documents are what need to be current for entry into MX once you deplane.   We do not work for the U.S. customs/immigration department.   You are best served contacting them directly regarding your question "am I at risk".  You have may have read my opinion - if your passport has not expired when you board in the U.S., no problem.  The risk I see now, at this late date, is if you apply now for renewal you must give them your passport, if renewal isn't expedited before you plan to leave on the 4th, you won't be going to the U.S. until you receive the renewed passport.

You started this thread last Friday morning.  Why haven't you done something by now to receive answers and/or already requested an expedited renewal?  Not very prudent IMHO.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, El Toro Furioso said:

New Question about the same topic.  My passport expires on the 10th of April 2024.  I return to Mexico on the 8th.  Do they have to let me in?  If so, why can't I show up to renew on the 9th or the 10th?  Am I putting myself at risk?  If not, then I shouldn't have to worry about anything until my return.  Right?  Legally right but questionable?  Not smart because risky?  What would you do?  Thanks for any input since I'm being put in a position that might force me to take risky decisions.

There is no reason to make a risky decision. YOU HAVE WASTED DAYS ALREADY!!!!!!!  If you made an appointment when I suggested you would be at the consulate today processing your renewal ...... Make the appointment ASAP>     https://mytravel.state.gov/s/scheduling

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jreboll said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about El TF. He’s probably sitting back having a good laugh.  Let’s just close this up.

Agree.  They aren't too concerned if haven't been on site for 13 hours.snapshot_chapala.com_1709663955243.thumb.png.b6a7512e795927819e60a7c3bccf1614.png

• Thanks 1