Chapala.com Webboard

Drivers license renewal 2024

Time to renew the drivers license and given the way things change around here, can someone update me with the most up to date procedure. Specifically, do you need an appointment? If so, can you make it online?

What is the pre-pay routine at Bancomer? How much does it cost?

Which documents do they want?

I know these questions pop up here a lot, but the system is constantly changing.

Make appointment:   https://citastransporte.jalisco.gob.mx/transporte/client/locationList

You pay at the recaudadora on Degollado in Chapala.  Ask for discount for old age (if you have an INAPAM card take it)

Go to your appointment at SECRETARIA DE TRANSPORTE MODULO DE LICENCIAS CHAPALA Paseo Ramón Corona s/n, La Cristianía, 45900 Chapala, with your: Old license, CURP and RFC, Passport & b&w copy of picture page Or if you are Mexican your INE and B&W copy Resident card and b&w copy (N/A Mexican citizens). Proof of residence & b&w copy (if Telmex bill every page) Receipt for your payment. 

• Thanks 1

Just renewed mine January 2024. I took copies of passport, permanente card, CFE bill, old license, CURP. They also want original passport and permanente card. 
I made an appointment online. 
I tried paying online prior but wasn’t successful. I paid day I went. However office to pay is 3 blocks away. Returned with proof of payment. Waited a bit and was handed new license. 

If I had it do over, I wouldn't have even gotten a Mex DL. A NOB license it valid all over the world. All the years we were in Ajijic, the DL renewal process rivaled getting an emissions sticker. 

37 minutes ago, tomgates said:

If I had it do over, I wouldn't have even gotten a Mex DL. A NOB license it valid all over the world. All the years we were in Ajijic, the DL renewal process rivaled getting an emissions sticker. 

If your NOB license expires (or that of any country), and you do not maintain a residence there to be able to re-new it....  exactly how would you drive in Mexico?

Drivers license process is pretty simple. The are places in the world, and NOB that the process is about the same or more difficult than Jalisco. 

A Jalisco drivers license is good everywhere a NOB license is valid. 

• Like 2

Just now, tomgates said:

We maintained a residence in WA for most of the 15 years we were here. 

That's nice. However, many of us live in MX fulltime without having a NOB address. Many of us drive MX plated cars and therefore, I am almost certain, required to have MX license.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ibarra said:

That's nice. However, many of us live in MX fulltime without having a NOB address. Many of us drive MX plated cars and therefore, I am almost certain, required to have MX license.

There is no requirement to have Mexican drivers license to drive a Mexican plated vehicle.  The reverse is true NOB.

Just think that if those requirements existed no foreigner without a local license could rent a car here nor NOB

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

There is no requirement to have Mexican drivers license to drive a Mexican plated vehicle.  The reverse is true NOB.

Just think that if those requirements existed no foreigner without a local license could rent a car here nor NOB

Ok. But you must have a valid,current license from somewhere. Can't be expired.

• Like 1

A long time ago a well known attorney in Houston, Percy Foreman, never had a drivers license. He said the penalty for driving without a license was a lot less than driving with a  suspended license. And the chances of being stopped are remote. And if you didn't have a license, they couldn't suspend it. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, tomgates said:

A long time ago a well known attorney in Houston, Percy Foreman, never had a drivers license. He said the penalty for driving without a license was a lot less than driving with a  suspended license. And the chances of being stopped are remote. And if you didn't have a license, they couldn't suspend it. 

My guess is he couldn't get insurance on it which would mean no coverage if you are involved in an accident.  In the forum that Spencer McMullen posted a few years ago regarding traffic issues (New Jalisco Driving Guide) , it clearly states, as a requirement, that you have a license.  FYI Our insurance agents lakeside took photos of our drivers license before issuing the policy.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

My story took place in Houston. I realize the peril of having no license in Mexico. 

There are several cities with the name "Houston" in a couple of different countries.  You may want to clarify where YOUR Houston is located.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1