Chapala.com Webboard

Road Condition?

RickS

Hwy 54 from Zacatecas to Saltillo was a disaster a few weeks ago. The road was full of potholes and cracks. The road from AGS to Zacatecas was also in a state of disrepair so my guess would be the road heading to Torreon would be similar.

The cuotas on the AGS route to Laredo look like they haven’t had any maintenance for a while. After 10 years or more it’s time to return to the SLP route. I wonder who is responsible for cuota maintenance, state or federal? It seems like money has been diverted from road maintenance to some other cause.

Oh, OK, yes.  I misread as was 'envisioning'  a cuota from Aguas up towards Laredo, not just those pieces that have always been there north and south a bit of AGS. Haven't had a chance to take the 'new' west cuota around AGS.... long needed (but I never really minded driving straight through). 

Thanks again. 

On 12/23/2023 at 8:05 AM, John Shrall said:

Hwy 54 from Zacatecas to Saltillo was a disaster a few weeks ago. The road was full of potholes and cracks. The road from AGS to Zacatecas was also in a state of disrepair so my guess would be the road heading to Torreon would be similar.

The cuotas on the AGS route to Laredo look like they haven’t had any maintenance for a while. After 10 years or more it’s time to return to the SLP route. I wonder who is responsible for cuota maintenance, state or federal? It seems like money has been diverted from road maintenance to some other cause.

You would be correct.  Whether toll or free, it seems in Zacatecas all the roads are beaten to death by the truck traffic.  Durango has done some work on 45 but it is still pretty poor. 

But the worst has to be north of Chihuahua.  Hard to describe how bad that road is until you get to the toll part.

We used to keep an RV in Las Cruces NM but finally decided that drive just wasn't worth it.  Beats me how a country with such bad roads is going to become a near shoring success. 

Maybe if all the factories are right on the U.S. border.  

It used to be that Mexico had very good roads everywhere you went.  In the 1970s we did a lot of adventure driving and even out of the way places had good roads. Then the toll roads came into being and the government started ignoring the road system and allowed the investor owned toll roads to take over. 

• Like 1

I think the problem is also all the often overloaded and massive increase in truck traffic with NAFTA..  The roads in this country just aren't built for the pounding they deliver and that includes for the most part the Cuotas as well.

Clearly the maintenance and quality of construction is far below that necessary for a decent road system now.  Other than the governor of Jalisco who will be stepping down next year I don't hear any of the Mexican politicians giving any indication they know how bad the roads are.  There just doesn't seem to be any serious national level recognition of the need for better roads even as car ownership increases rapidly.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

You would be correct.  Whether toll or free, it seems in Zacatecas all the roads are beaten to death by the truck traffic.  Durango has done some work on 45 but it is still pretty poor. 

But the worst has to be north of Chihuahua.  Hard to describe how bad that road is until you get to the toll part.

We used to keep an RV in Las Cruces NM but finally decided that drive just wasn't worth it.  Beats me how a country with such bad roads is going to become a near shoring success. 

Maybe if all the factories are right on the U.S. border.  

I read an article that said these companies will be paying close too 2 billion on road improvements when they start building the new factories. Most all if the business sites i read are saying mexico will be the new china not india.  Waiting to see if they are right