Chapala.com Webboard

Veterans, is there a way to get your VA meds while living at Lakeside?

I have a VA friend that sends his meds to Ishop in Laredo and then they send it to lakeside in about 2 or so weeks.  You pay shipping etc.  You can always ask Maricella at Ishop about this process.    customerservice@ishopnmail.com  or ishop01@ishopnmail.com   376 766 1933

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ibarra said:

I have a VA friend that sends his meds to Ishop in Laredo and then they send it to lakeside in about 2 or so weeks.  You pay shipping etc.  You can always ask Maricella at Ishop about this process.    customerservice@ishopnmail.com  or ishop01@ishopnmail.com   376 766 1933

Great to hear, thank you. I'll check out Ishop. When you next speak with your friend, please ask what it costs to have his/her meds shipped to Lakeside.

7 minutes ago, blankletmusic said:

Great to hear, thank you. I'll check out Ishop. When you next speak with your friend, please ask what it costs to have his/her meds shipped to Lakeside.

He has different meds sent at different times a year so his price will most likely not be the same for you.  Ishop can give you prices based on weight of package etc.  IMO It would behoove you to check with them.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Usvetsinmexico said:

I tried the VA meds thru ishop once and it have a box. The import fee was more than what I paid local for the meds.

I had a feeling that might be the case and thinking about it further we'd probably have to fly back once a year to visit with our primary care provider to get our meds renewed for another year. I know I see mine every August to discuss my lab results from the week prior and to get my meds renewed. (and to discuss any current medical issues)

I have the v a send to my brother the expensive script and he sends it to Ishop about 2 or 3 weeks later I get my script approx total cost including copay 60 u s  I get 90 days of my script that script would be 1200. U s or if purchased in mexico 6000. Peso all my other script are cheap in mexico so the expensive script is the only one I go thru the hassle of dealing with the v a that's how I do it,hope this helps

Regards Phil 

7 hours ago, phil in mexico said:

I have the v a send to my brother the expensive script and he sends it to Ishop about 2 or 3 weeks later I get my script approx total cost including copay 60 u s  I get 90 days of my script that script would be 1200. U s or if purchased in mexico 6000. Peso all my other script are cheap in mexico so the expensive script is the only one I go thru the hassle of dealing with the v a that's how I do it,hope this helps

Regards Phil 

Ok I don't have any expensive ones.  The few I have are super cheap. Also i use very low dose so most in have to cut in half so ever cheaper. Wish they VA would figure out our medical cover would bet super cheap here and its much easier to live off VA disability and ssdi down here. But they never think about what's best for vets just the govt workers at the VA.

17 hours ago, Usvetsinmexico said:

Ok I don't have any expensive ones.  The few I have are super cheap. Also i use very low dose so most in have to cut in half so ever cheaper. Wish they VA would figure out our medical cover would bet super cheap here and its much easier to live off VA disability and ssdi down here. But they never think about what's best for vets just the govt workers at the VA.

What everyone fails to take into account is what plagues everything nowadays: fraud. From shoplifting to outright CC fraud we all pay more for things due to dishonesty. Sure, VA healthcare and Medicare would seemingly be much cheaper if we could receive and be reimbursed for care in Mexico. It's difficult enough to investigate and then prosecute fraud in the US with laws that protect privacy and then the reluctance in many areas of the US to not prosecute property crime. Imagine Medicare or the VA trying to investigate and prosecute fraud against Uncle Sam in Mexico. Yeah, sounds like a joke, eh? Remember, Willie Sutton said he robbed banks because that's where the money is. Uncle Sam is the biggest bank. Many moons ago I worked for a major insurance company in San Diego. On occasion they asked me, unofficially, to take a ride to Tijuana and investigate a certain doctor who was claiming to treat cancer with a remedy called Laetrile. Being a good little employee I did as asked and got some good info for them. One Saturday morning I opened my copy of the San Diego Union newspaper to see my name on the front page. The story said I was being investigated for being the "front" for stolen cars being shipped to Tijuana. That ended my sub rosa work over the border. The dishonest people would have a field day with healthcare payments from the US. It's the reason we had to leave Mexico since our world wide health insurance through BP where my wife is retired from gave us a 9 month warning that our premium would increase from $325/mo. for both of us to $1450 if we did not move back to the US. That was a no brainer as we could not afford hat kind of increase. That was in 2018 and so far that $325 has not increased so it was not an idle threat just to mask a general increase that they had planned. An unofficial chat with the company that administers that plan, Aetna, confirmed fraud was the reason for the huge increase. We all pay one way or the other for fraud.

• Thanks 2