Chapala.com Webboard

New Modem

Jim R

My previous modem from Telmex had either two or four antennas. I don’t remember. It broke and was replaced by Telmex with a new modem with no antennas. Since then everything is very slow and when I use  Zoom or WhatsApp, the connection breaks up and I get the message that the signal is weak EVEN THOUGH my computer is in the same room as the modem

15 minutes ago, Jim R said:

My previous modem from Telmex had either two or four antennas. I don’t remember. It broke and was replaced by Telmex with a new modem with no antennas. Since then everything is very slow and when I use  Zoom or WhatsApp, the connection breaks up and I get the message that the signal is weak EVEN THOUGH my computer is in the same room as the modem

Are you connecting to the 5Ghz or the 2.4Ghz network?

Many have complained here about poor wifi from the Telmex fiber modem/router.  No need to replace modem, it can be solved by a separate router or a Mesh system pluged into the Telmex modem..  

I installed one of these for my neighbor. The nice thing is the mesh system can be expanded later to provide more coverage in the house and yard. 

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-1962500664-access-point-router-sistema-wi-fi-tp-link-deco-e4-1-pieza-_JM#position=42&search_layout=stack&type=item&tracking_id=a1ae8bda-4d78-4e75-8e4a-1a77b519a765

12 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Many have complained here about poor wifi from the Telmex fiber modem/router.  No need to replace modem, it can be solved by a separate router or a Mesh system pluged into the Telmex modem..  

I installed one of these for my neighbor. The nice thing is the mesh system can be expanded later to provide more coverage in the house and yard. 

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-1962500664-access-point-router-sistema-wi-fi-tp-link-deco-e4-1-pieza-_JM#position=42&search_layout=stack&type=item&tracking_id=a1ae8bda-4d78-4e75-8e4a-1a77b519a765

Exactly what my son did. The unit I got from Megacable is router and modem combined. My son was able to disconnect its router and plug in an Apple Airport router

1 hour ago, Jim R said:

Mostlylost’s solution sounds pretty good. If I need help installing, is there anyone you can recommend?  Thanks so much. 

We have TPlink Deco units from Amazon. It couldn't have been any easier to install them.  Need a phone or a tablet then directions are step by step.  I did it by myself and I am not really tech savvy.

There are different options for how many units you need based on size and obstacles in your home.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ibarra said:

We have TPlink Deco units from Amazon. It couldn't have been any easier to install them.  Need a phone or a tablet then directions are step by step.  I did it by myself and I am not really tech savvy.

There are different options for how many units you need based on size and obstacles in your home.

If you get a Mesh system, make sure you get a WiFi 6e compatible set.  All new WiFi devices are moving to this new protocol.

Screenshot (174).png

Jim R, installing a router will be mostly plug-n-play. It should come with an ethernet cable but if not just buy a short one. Plug that cable into the Telmex modem back, plug the other end into the new router and then turn the router on. 

Only if the new router's wifi signal is not strong enough throughout your house will you need to purchase a Mesh system to add to the router. 

You can get a router at Steren in town or Amazon or ?

10 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Before I spend that kind of money on a mesh system I would be trying an Ethernet cable, because if you don’t get a strong signal using an Ethernet cable a mesh system isn’t going to work well.

If one doesn't get a strong signal using an ethernet cable it is time to send the modem back to Telmex as it is broken!

Most people want/require to use their devices somewhere other than right next to their modem. 

Be very careful with taking your modem into the Telmex office in Ajijic for replacement. They do not check nor have any way of checking that a modem is functional. I had three from them that were all duds. I ended up buying two brand new modems from Mercado Libre. This occurred in 2017 so I'm sure they've been upgraded since then. They were Telmex modems, brand new in their original plastic packaging and box, not expensive and worked like a charm until I dumped Telmex completely.

Mine were DSL but they do have Fibre modems... https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-2551316792-modem-huawei-echolife-2023-doble-banda-fibra-optica-telmex-_JM#position=8&search_layout=stack&type=item&tracking_id=45b53e4d-c5d6-4886-a9f3-c66c28323096

I called the 1-800 help line at Telmex when I was having problems. She told me about the modems on Mercado Libre and also the two that she recommended at the time. I was also dealing with an English speaker since, sometimes, tech is sufficiently difficult when English is your first language without adding Spanish to the mix.

The reason that I bring this up is because, if your main modem isn't working in a top notch condition, adding a mesh network is not going to make it any better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

The reason that I bring this up is because, if your main modem isn't working in a top notch condition, adding a mesh network is not going to make it any better.

Well if it's broken no a mesh probably won't help. BUT... if it is just that the Telmex wifi is insufficient... which is most often the case... then a mesh can help. Plug it into the modem via ethernet connection and it will broadcast a 'new' wifi signal, overcoming the weak Telmex modem/router performance.  I have done this... installed a Google Mesh system in a very large 2-story thick-walled house with good success. It took a base unit next to the modem broadcasting to 3 other slave mesh devices throughout the large house. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1