Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic's Farmer's Markets/Tianguis?

pedro malo

Can anyone give me the times, dates and locations of Ajijic's farmer's markets and tianguis' where one can find reasonably priced fruit, produce, meat/fish, wares, etc.?

We were at one years ago but can't remember which days of the week or where. We are in Joco and our selections are limited and getting pricier. My wife is wanting to find other options to shop.

Any and all information/suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Thank you!

pedro malo

Every Monday in Chapala (we go at 10:00 to 12:00) there is a street market known a barato. It is across from the Soriano Store on west side of Caraterra in one block. This market runs N-S all the way south to the soccer field. Prices are good but items are priced by the kilo or two. (2 por $12.00)

There is an Organic market Tuesdays in the La Huerta event hall on thesouth sied of Jocotepect to Chapala Caraterra just before the Panteon. You will see lots of vehicles. Starts at 10:00 -12:00 products are beautiful but expensive.

Thursday in Jocotepec street Tiangus is probably the less enpensive place to shop, but I'm sure you know about it.

Here is the Tianguis schedule for Ajijic: Wednesday on the east side of Plaza Bugambilias.

We frequently go to Chapala for produce, even if it is not the Monday Tianguis. There are many shops right there on the main square. We can get most anything and the prices are cheaper. This is probably too far for you if you are in Joco.

Ajijic has their weekly tianguis on Wednesday. Chapala has theirs on Monday and it is probably the largest in the area it goes for quite a few blocks and is cheaper than the one in Ajijic. The tianguis in Ajijic tends to be more touristy and gringo oriented while the one in Chapala is more of a common man's type tianguis hence the prices tend to be a little cheaper. The one in Chapala runs from about 8am till about 3:30pm. I would guess that hours would be similar for the Ajijic tianguis. You sometimes get more of a bang for your peso after lets say 2:30, as they are trying to get rid of as much stuff as possible before they close up. Ajijic also has several smaller markets that specialize in more organic or exotic type goods that are held at different locations and on different days of the week. Maybe someone can tell us when and where these are located now.

While prices may differ between Chapala and Ajijic at the tianguis, one thing is for certain: there is almost no locally-grown produce anymore. Everyone goes to the abastos market early in the morning and gets their stuff, much of which is mass-produced and sold in huge bags, just like we see up north or at any large grocery store. The vendors, as usual, get better prices if they buy the large bags, but pay more if their stuff is separated out.

So the bottom line is, a tomato is a tomato and it usually ain't local no more.

My wife and I thank you all! She's eager to re-visit the Ajijic tianguis on Wednesday (the one we checked out years ago) and the Chapala market on Monday that we had no idea existed.

Interesting that there are no local farmers. My wife is appalled by the price of tomatoes in Joco now. They used to be around 8 pesos per kilo (almost free) not long ago and are now close to 50. Maybe this is a seasonal thing? We are just figuring things out. My wife just moved to our house full time in October. Times before we'd just come a couple times a year. She was shocked at how cheap the tomatoes were here compared to Zihua. Now it seems everything is more expensive here. The regular Roma tomato prices compare with NOB price for organic Roma! Are we seeing the results of the exchange rate?

She's decided to start her own garden as well now. That's the best way to go anyway especially in this land of eternal sunshine!

Thanks guys/gals!

I'm with you on the tomato prices, especially considering how poor some of them are. And romas are ridinculous. However, when I can I order mine from CostCo: six "large" size imported from Jocotitlan by a company named Bionatur (http://bionaturmexico.com/). Pretty sure they are greenhouse, so while the flavour is decent, it's not "Oh!" No pesticides, apparently, and less than 30p for six. SuperLake usually also has them in the back on top of the vegetable shelves.

I can't tell from this website about tomato farming in Mexico exactly which season is which, to expect more naturally-ripened local produce. http://geo-mexico.com/?p=3586

The berries are still local, aren't they?

Yes but the public vendors are often selling the seconds. For example the blueberries at Costco are also grown in Mexico but they are much better quality than those you buy along the carretera or at Superlake. They grow 5 varieties of raspberries locally but the best ones are exported.

She's decided to start her own garden as well now. That's the best way to go anyway especially in this land of eternal sunshine!

That is the way to go. Especially with affordable help in the garden. Our gardener has been nurturing a giant winter squash (calabeza) we are finally harvesting it. No kidding, it is three feet long, about 7 inches across, weighs about 12 lbs. I collect mostly exotic and tropical seeds/plants. The expert on tomatoes on this board is Joco.

It is tricky to learn the seasons, it is a totally unique climate here. This time of year growth is slower, but less bugs, scale or none of the dreaded powdery mildew.

I remember when the tianguis and the Chapala and Joco central markets were farm supplied. That was many many years ago. Now the vendors head to the huge abastos market in GDL early Monday am and return to start the tour.... Day 1 in Chalapala, day 3 in Ajijic, and so on.

They buy their fruits & vegetables in the same place as Walmart and Soriana. Most times you get fresher, cleaner, and better quality in Walmart than in the tanguis.

There are a few times you will find local jicamas, chayotes, and cucumbers, as well as non-sweet corn when they are in season. Raspberies, some strawberrys, are from the area around Joco.

I remember when the tianguis and the Chapala and Joco central markets were farm supplied. That was many many years ago. Now the vendors head to the huge abastos market in GDL early Monday am and return to start the tour.... Day 1 in Chalapala, day 3 in Ajijic, and so on.

They buy their fruits & vegetables in the same place as Walmart and Soriana. Most times you get fresher, cleaner, and better quality in Walmart than in the tanguis.

There are a few times you will find local jicamas, chayotes, and cucumbers, as well as non-sweet corn when they are in season. Raspberies, some strawberrys, are from the area around Joco.

Thanks for the additional tips and links ComputerGuy and "G" CHILLEN. Awesome description of your calabaza!

I'm really surprised to hear about not much locally grown produce anymore. I was under the impression that the central markets were all locally grow foods. Welcome to the "1st World" Mexico. More reason to grow your own.

I sure learn a lot from you guys, thanks!

Yesterday at our local tianguis in Guadalajara we bought tomatoes at 18 pesos per kilo,avacados at 10 pesos per kilo,fresas at 30 pesos kilo,mandarinas at 5 pesos per kilo and a couple of piñas for 10 pesos a piece,not too bad..

What's really gone up is the price of beef.

A lot of Mexico is still in touch with the olde world - grow your own food, take care of your own extended family, grow your own medicine. I think the tianguis were originally as much about trading than strictly commerce. When farming becomes not about the love, and beyond the art of surviving well, then it becomes all about profit. An invitation for the devils to play.

Archived