Chapala.com Webboard

Current Medical Director (or head honcho MD) of Cruz Roja?

Serenity6

Recently spoke to someone who knows someone on the board (whatever that may mean.) I've been advised that Dr Sam Thelin is no longer the Medical Director of the Cruz Roja, effective Dec. 31, 2015.

I don't know if this is accurate or not.

Has he taken a different position in in the Cruz Roja or has a new MD replaced him entirely? If there is a new MD, do we have any info or a CV on him/her?

Edit: Admin, accidental double post, can we delete one please?

Ned is probably feeling excited about his close friend Mr. P's performance in the Polar Bear Swim and just is hoping more people come to the event. Now that I think about it, it would be a treat to meet both Ned and Mr. P at the same time.

I like that this board really exists to help people get answers to questions about local living. It'd be nuts if I had to go to every doctor, every restaurant, every taxi driver, every energy company, every store and every government office instead.

Why not just go to Cruz Roja and ask? Even better yet,go to the Monte Carlo Hotel tomorrow and make a contribution at the polar bear swim event and ask one of the executive volunteers.

Ned, you actually work with the Red Cross. Instead of being coy, why don't you just answer the quite simple question. Is there a need for such secrecy? If you are proud of what the Red Cross does, let us all know it.

This is the second time Thelin has left Cruz Roja suddenly and with no explanation from anyone. Is his Chapala office still open?

For the first time, I was told he left on his own accord due to his concerns with potential liability issues based upon matters/management out of his hands or control. This time around, I have no idea. As for whether his office is still open, never went back after my little 7 hour incident on his tile floor.

AHHH someone tries to fuel the rumor mill once again. Please pay no attention people. Harry B had good advise. Watch the Quad Reporter.

And PLEASE make sure Mr P gets plenty of Polar Bear sponsors. His purple thong threat could be real.

MtnMama: What rumor mill? The only "rumor" was when you insinuated last April that I was either lying or exaggerating my horrible medical experience as your MD "friend" purportedly, per your suggestion, rejected my romantic pass or my unrequited feelings that went beyond normal patient-physician relationship. (Not sure whether to be humored or insulted by your suggestion on that subject.)

I made that experience public (and I gave out names only to people who privately asked) to protect a future patient from going through the same nightmare I went through, as that doctor insisted that said medication combo (long-term prescription methadone for chronic pain, then injecting 10mgs of nubain/nelbufina for breakthrough pain, knowing that methadone is still in the system) IS safe, was used on his other patients, and that I had that "unusual" nightmare reaction b/c I was "sensitive"; and that I was repeatedly refused an ambulance during a medical emergency.

That clever little comment you made back in April that you thought was helping clear your friend? It did not help. In fact, it raised the possibility that perhaps your friend spoke to you about things that 1) never occurred, such as your suggestion that I had intentions/feelings beyond that of a physician-patient relationship, and 2) raised the issue that I should speak to legal representation as to whether my physician was discussing my private health care with you (as you were obviously not present during the 7-hour event in question and therefore should not be able to speak to any of those matters on a factual basis.)

Or maybe your "rumor" remark concerns the reason as to why your friend is no longer with the Red Cross? The "first" reason I listed are reasons that are hardly negative and are reasons your friend told me himself. I actually said that as an effort to protect your friend from any speculation as to the first time he left the Red Cross. As for the reason why he again is no longer with the Red Cross? I made it clear I had no idea why.

Each time you pipe up to say something, you make it worse for your friend. Your malicious, hurtful and quite inane insult you directed towards me back in April -- despite me having done nothing wrong aside from having been administered a very dangerous medication combo that he recommended for breakthrough pain and advised was "safe" (after a few minutes perusing WebMD and Wikipedia), then when I reacted exactly as the contraindications warned, your friend MD angrily accused me of lying and secretly having taken illegal drugs to cause such a disastrous effects, then accused me of "overusing and abusing" my own prescription medicine by "not waiting for at least 12 hour in between doses" despite his own written prescription instructions for me to "take one methadone dose every 8 hours", all the while while I was in and out of a violent consciousness and suffering terrible agony until Mr. Doc did some Googling and finally discovered that my reaction was due to his stupid, malpractice-level recommendation of that medication combo; then the 3 hours of your friend refusing to call me a desperately-needed ambulance while I was in severe medical distress and unable to make the call myself, and another 4 hours of further distress until midnight, when I was able to stagger to the warm and comfort of the back seat of my car where I collapsed -- was bad enough.

Did I forget to mention my vitals were not checked a single time despite me being in a pool of sweat, losing consciousness repeatedly, uncontrolled screaming until I fainted, unable to crawl or sit up, complaining desperately (sobbing) that my heart twas racing and I was having a heart attack, hallucinating that I was on fire under my skin and looking for a sharp knife so I could "put out" the "fire", and feeling a level of pain as if I was dipped in acid?

It was dumb luck I was too scared to inject myself at home and brought the filled vial to his office for him to do it. Precipitated opiate withdrawal typically will not kill you (but you'll sure wish you were dead and you 100% believe you are dying). You CAN get severely hurt or die from hurting yourself due to hallucinations, falling and smashing your head or dying outright from dehydration. I live alone. That's something that could've happened to me. Hate to think how a 72 year old with a weak heart would've handled that medication combo. An ER trip would've helped tremendously as they could've sedated me, hydrated me to help flush out the nubain, made me comfortable and assured me I would not die (he simply stood over me and then walked away, shut the door to his office and laughed later when he said, "oh, I knew you were still alive as I could hear you screaming and pounding through the wall.") Har, har har.

It does not matter if Mr. Doc thought I would be "fine" (I won't presume to know what my doc was thinking).

What matters is if the patient is demanding an ambulance and in that degree of distress, you get the damn ambulance and you certainly do not ask the unconscious patient who is on the floor smashing her head uncontrollably, "Uh, can a friend come get you, or can we call you a cab? Because I have this other appointment I'll be late for..."

Those are facts. Not rumors. I don't know - or really care - why your friend is no longer involved with the Cruz Roja. I can say I am greatly relieved.

Say what you wish, but if you are attempting to protect someone, be smart about what you say.

Edit: For your convenience, in case you forgot what you said, let me remind you: "Wow. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. . . . This is a very good friend of mine and he can't give his side so I just want other to know there are two sides to this story."

Here's one of the things I most dislike about this board. It's when people make things personal between themselves when the rest of us are largely in the dark, and only reading the thread because we are interested in the actual information the thread might provide. How much do I care about personal vendettas or not vendettas between individual members? Nada. Do I care who now is in charge of Cruz Roja? Perhaps. Why do we have to delve into the gutter?

Datura: I agree, and typically I wouldn't even respond. However, when someone makes a public accusation such as MtnMama made when I was medically mistreated and denied an ambulance, and accused me of being "woman in fury who is scorned and rejected" I am not one to stand back and just let that slide. Feel free to ignore as I do realize that that is something most people could care less about.

While I don't care for drama, I will respond to protect my own name and dispel any misunderstandings of the insinuations from the "woman scorned" remark publicly stated about me and which sadly, was clearly intended to insult or hurt me. Just one genuine apology and I'd have let it all go.

Ned, you actually work with the Red Cross. Instead of being coy, why don't you just answer the quite simple question. Is there a need for such secrecy? If you are proud of what the Red Cross does, let us all know it.

Nope don't work for CR but Dr. Sam is one of my doctors and I am also a big fan of what Cr has become under his direction.

Apologies Ned, you are correct, my mistake, I had to go look it up. The person who promised to finally provide the paper trail I needed for my insurance plan from my own Red Cross experience, and who ultimately failed to show, was called Norm.

In the "for what it is worth" category, IMHO, higher standards of transparency, rule of law and professional conduct applies at all levels of society, and all organizations should be bound by them, that includes for profit and not for profit....and for that to work starts with each of us. Any shake up at Red Cross will hopefully improve how they are managed.

'Nuff said on the subject.

Archived