Chapala.com Webboard

Time for the annual guess the start of the rainy season "contest"

Once again, your chance to be the leading amateur, and we do mean amateur, weather prognosticator on this board. Guess the start of the rainy season, as evidenced by:

1. Rainfall of 1/2 inch or more on the official start day.

2. At least 4 days of rainfall in the following week.

3. Rain obviously coming from the east or NE.

4. As measured at the weather station in Riberas.

There's an interesting article in the GDL Reporter that the official prediction is for the rain to start June 12-13 but be a bit skimpy this year. Both make sense to me given the stronger westerlies apparently related to the growing El Nino event as well as the late position of the jet stream further south this year.

The article reports heavy rain in parts of GDL when we had those sprinkles and lots of thunder recently.

It's been a bit strange for a while, all that rain in March and right now a snowstorm in Northern Arizona!

Anyway, I'll start with June 10.

Official List:

Glyn May 29

bigd May 31

KathyTX June 5

English Rose June 7

Indianamom June 6

Lakeside 101, Bennie2 June 9

Mainecoons, El Salto June 10

Hammerhead June 11

Cedros, Osoprehistorico June 12

Datura June 13

Gringal June 14

mhopkins2, thevalerieleigh June 15

adolphsj June 16

Jrod June 17

Senior Kentie June 18

Travis June 20

Most optimistic thus far: Glyn. bigd, you just got bumped, sorry.

:)

June 12

Measured at my place in San Juan Cosala of course.

3 days of rain in the following week might be better.

I have just come in the house after covering our outdoor cat tree because at 3:25 PM it started to rain in San Juan, Not a duck drownder, but thunder and big drops. Looking at the rules for this contest, there may be no winner. Last year almost all our rain came from the Pacific. The newspapers said it was the most named storms in many years. It started early and ran late. That's why the lake got it's 34 inches.

This March, there was enough rain to reverse the decline in the lake level for almost a month. The only weather site to predict the rain was Accuweather. The only rain to come from the east that I can remember hit Acapulco, who got beat up bad several times by storms. So, if it has to come from the East, maybe no winner. Fortunately, the Lake does not care where the water comes from, and if it comes from the Pacific, at least we get it first.

Given that my back yard is now a mini lake I'd say it has started now. However if we are sticking with the "obviously from the E or NE we may not have any "rainy season" at all this year as the vast majority of our rain is highly likely to come from the west.

Folks, don't confuse late season pacific tropical storms which can move over us as the easterlies wane with the central Mexico rainy season which most assuredly is driven by Gulf of Mexico moisture riding the trade winds which move north during the summer here.

These can carry tropical storms all the way across the country. Back in 2010 when we got those massive rains in June, that is exactly what happened.

See figure 8 and the discussion on page 1674.

http://www.climateknowledge.org/NA_precipitation/Douglas_Mexican_Monsoon_JClim_1993.pdf

I heard my first "rain bird" on May 1st, so I'm going with the traditional 45 day time so I'm gonna say June 15th. :)

Valerie :)

Guest bennie2

june 9th. rain is rain. a thunderstorm is a thunderstorm. but i dont make the rules. for me its still water coming down from the sky. i can pass on storms, will dance for light rain.

Well, since all the choice, traditional days are taken up…..and since the weather is so whacky all over the planet these days….I'll throw a hail Mary and go long and say, June 20.

If it hasn't happened by then the local hand-wringing will be unbearable. And of course, I expect and hope it happens much sooner than that. LOVE the rainy season! :)

I'm going for early. June 5. There's a light rain falling now, in La Christina, coming from the North.

Once again, your chance to be the leading amateur, and we do mean amateur, weather prognosticator on this board. Guess the start of the rainy season, as evidenced by:

1. Rainfall of 1/2 inch or more on the official start day.

2. At least 4 days of rainfall in the following week.

3. Rain obviously coming from the east or NE.

4. As measured at the weather station in Riberas.

There's an interesting article in the GDL Reporter that the official prediction is for the rain to start June 12-13 but be a bit skimpy this year. Both make sense to me given the stronger westerlies apparently related to the growing El Nino event as well as the late position of the jet stream further south this year.

The article reports heavy rain in parts of GDL when we had those sprinkles and lots of thunder recently.

It's been a bit strange for a while, all that rain in March and right now a snowstorm in Northern Arizona!

Anyway, I'll start with June 10.

Official List:

bigd May 31

KathyTX Ju ne 5

Indianamom June 6

Lakeside 101, Bennie2 June 9

Mainecoons June 10

Hammerhead June 11

Cedros, Osoprehistorico June 12

Datura June 13

Gringal June 14

mhopkins2, thevalerieleigh June 15

adolphsj June 16

Jrod June 17

Senior Kentie June 18

Travis June 20

Most optimistic thus far: bigd

:)

June 7th

MEXICO, DF 19 MAY 2015 (EDITORIAL) .- A statement from the National Weather Service said that tonight there is a high probability that in Jalisco heavy rains occur tomorrow and continue the high temperatures.

According to the MTF, for tonight, the influx of moisture from the Pacific Ocean, Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea, interacting with low pressure channels located inside Mexico, heavy rains favor (of 25-50 mm) in areas of Coahuila, Jalisco, Michoacan, San Luis Potosi, Mexico State, Queretaro, Hidalgo, Guerrero, Veracruz, Campeche and Yucatan.

http://www.periodicoalinstante.com.mx/preven-fuertes-lluvias-y-altas-temperaturas-para-jalisco/

Yes, that confluence of the wetter than normal Pacific winds with the usual moisture from the east could make this very interesting. If you noticed the satellite views yesterday afternoon and early evening, there was heavy activity east of us.

Bring it on, I just wrapped up the usual pre rainy season roof servicing and general repairs. :)

Sparks, maybe you should pick May 28. :D

Archived