Chapala.com Webboard

Spoke to Hector about concerns

HarryB

Since I felt this is important , I wanted to start a new thread

I spoke to Hector about the stated concerns and got this information.

He will send both Amutio and Guad Pharmacy a letter and be less nice, informing them of the complaints and directing them to make repairs.

He can not touch signs as they are on private property.

As recently as yesterday he asked Presidente Huerta about the Plaza work. The answer was "we'll talk" . BTW the Chapala plaza has been remodeled during this time frame? If anyone wants to put together a group Hector will lead it to the President's office.

We are meeting with the Riviera Alta folks friday to discuss a plan for calle Revolucion.

Guest bennie2

good report. people w/out cars use those 2 businesses including many mexicans. that sidewalk was like that when i visted here over 20 years back. about the signs: many years ago the chapala mayor ripped down around 100 billboards/ signs from ajijic all thru riberis. he said it ruined the "image" this was around 12 years back. dontknow if they were on public or private property. they were taken down in one full sweep.

I would think that Hector can call on the proprietors on the carretera in Ajijic and ask if he can have outdated signs taken down. The main drag in Ajijic on the carretera is an eyesore. If the state elected to widen the carretera in the central area and tear down a lot of the buildings along it, it would not be a loss in my view.

Guest bennie2

yes it was an all night affair. way to go! we would have had 100s of trashy billboards. looks like the new mayor needs to do another all nighter. those were the days.......

Guest bennie2

you cant have bikers & walkers on the same path. what are you thinking? want to kill people? fixing sidewalks are important. there is a bike lane thru floresta then it ends.

What about street name signs that are so faded you can barely see them or no signs at all?

As important, I'd love to see arrow signs on all the streets in the village to show if it's a one-way or both way street. I don't go often enough to remember them all then go on one and come to find I'm going the wrong way and a car is coming right for me.

My peeve. The signs in the street touting businesses in the business district central Ajijic. I rarely drive down there but had to today for the DAR luncheon at Los Telares. This meant that with a whole bunch of new women to Ajijic the parking would be tight.

Within 30 feet of the corner of 15th Dec/Independencia and Colon there were 5 tented signs in the street taking up spots. The 3 worst - Hotel whatever it is next to the red Tia's bar had a huge and tall sign and then the Dildoria (I can hardly write that) and the Glass place both had v-shaped signs out in the street....2 others had flat signs. Cars are parked all along the road there and no one can see these signs coming down the street so they serve no purpose for advertising. Once you can see the sign you are in front of the business with the parking spot and the sign. UGH.

I had the little car and moved one of the signs. And I will probably do it again if need be.

Do not even get me started on cooks and owners parking in front of their place of business.

hector has been working on the street signs for some time. He wrote letters - Chapala wouldn't supply or pay for any - transito wouldn't supply or pay for any - When i asked for donations on this Board no one donated. So, when we made some money with the Day of the Dead tour we bought some arrow signage. With three men out and Chapala not replacing them, he just needs time to get them up. If you give me a location of a needed street name sign, I try to get it done. New signs went up some time ago, but, I don't know how?

The people blocking parking with signs and other things is an age old problem. I know Hector has sent businesses warning letters. Please drop a note to his office or Facebook page and I know he will respond . I'll talk to him too. When I do rarely find a parking space in the Colon area I tell business owners that I would spend more money in their establishments if they weren't preventing me from parking. They respond that the signs are there to give their customers a place to park. I say it doesn't work. I just go to Walmart!

I wish the "Heart of Ajijic" business organization could wake up the business owners. They have no idea how much business and profits they are losing by not allowing customers to conveniently park.

Harry, respectfully, the idea that any significant number of people can "conveniently park" in centro is pretty unrealistic. There is a pay parking place convenient on Marcos Castellanos. I think we would be better advised to understand the limitations of centro regards the automobile and work to develop alternatives that people can use.

I'm in agreement about the sandwich boards and overturned paint buckets in the street. They help no one, and serve only to raise our ire. Trouble is, if you move one and don't go into that shop, you risk your car getting keyed. This has been common practice for since I've lived here, and the three different key scrapes on my car attest to that.

Since laws do exist about this kind of activity, and a store can purchase a license to reserve a section of the street, this is something that would be nice to see enforced. On the other hand, I think licensing a piece of the street is a ludicrous implementation, again helping no one but the owner's imagination. Some years back, Johnny from Tratoria Axixic came right across the street to give me heck for parking on his painted section (near where the Oxxo is now). He already had four slots in front, so I don't know how he wangled the extra. I was relatively new to the area and now I don't remember if he was actually licensed there or not.

I agree parking lots are needed and we did a survey a while ago. The idea was to allow people owning property to open as parking lots and charge a fee. Nothing came of it? I'll check again.

I'm just saying that the signs and owners parking prevent me from running in for a sandwich, or cold cuts, or chocolate, etc. It's not worth the bother. They're losing the profit and they're too dumb to care.

hector has been working on the street signs for some time. He wrote letters - Chapala wouldn't supply or pay for any - transito wouldn't supply or pay for any - When i asked for donations on this Board no one donated. So, when we made some money with the Day of the Dead tour we bought some arrow signage. With three men out and Chapala not replacing them, he just needs time to get them up. If you give me a location of a needed street name sign, I try to get it done. New signs went up some time ago, but, I don't know how?

The people blocking parking with signs and other things is an age old problem. I know Hector has sent businesses warning letters. Please drop a note to his office or Facebook page and I know he will respond . I'll talk to him too. When I do rarely find a parking space in the Colon area I tell business owners that I would spend more money in their establishments if they weren't preventing me from parking. They respond that the signs are there to give their customers a place to park. I say it doesn't work. I just go to Walmart!

I wish the "Heart of Ajijic" business organization could wake up the business owners. They have no idea how much business and profits they are losing by not allowing customers to conveniently park.

we spoke with Hector four times before giving up and going to chapala for some results. Hector had the yellow curb in front of our restaurant and the shops on our side of the street painted white, which it had never been before. the vendor of cut fruits and veggies that has her stand on the plaza opposite us decided that the spot in front of our restaurant was hers 24/7. she did not respond to any of our requests and Hector did not interveen. We didn't pursue the issue just for ourselves,but she is taking a spot from all businesses. At least other parkers leave after a while. she finally got a notice from Chapala telling her not to park in front of our business during work hours,but is still taking a place from all of you. she only lives a block away,but uses the car as her bodega. we have sometimes tried to save a little space by our doorway,by the way none of us has a personal car, but it only works temporarily. others businesses here need the space to unload heavy boxes....

Ajijic is certainly not designed for cars and trucks. It is small and folks should accept the fact that they will have to park wherever they can and then walk to the business they wish to patronize. Proprietors understand this and are rather helpless to provide more convenient parking.

So, quityerbitchinorgoelsewhere. We did.

I would think that Hector can call on the proprietors on the carretera in Ajijic and ask if he can have outdated signs taken down. The main drag in Ajijic on the carretera is an eyesore. If the state elected to widen the carretera in the central area and tear down a lot of the buildings along it, it would not be a loss in my view.

One sign that makes my blood simmer every time I pass it is the totally rusted out San Antonio Tlayacapan sign just before SuperLake on the right-hand side going east. They installed a brand new sign a few yards away, but this horrible rusted eyesore should have been removed when the new sign went up a couple of years ago. Whew, now I feel better already.

Ajijic is certainly not designed for cars and trucks. It is small and folks should accept the fact that they will have to park wherever they can and then walk to the business they wish to patronize. Proprietors understand this and are rather helpless to provide more convenient parking.

So, quityerbitchinorgoelsewhere. We did.

Agree. However, where you went from Ajijic isn't a whole lot better these days. :)

These are all old towns with narrow and very rough streets. They aren't suited to a lot of traffic of any kind other than horse, donkey, and foot. They particularly aren't suited to the large vehicles that so many snowbirds seem to favor. Short of knocking down half the towns to greatly widen, they will never be auto/truck friendly. The U.K. and Europe, and many similar old towns in the U.S. have dealt with the situation in the only way that makes sense: Severely restricting cars in centro areas and enhancing conditions for walkers, cyclists and electric carts.

I believe some of this has been done in GDL in a very limited way.

Personally, I'd like to see similar steps taken here but don't expect to see it happen. In the mean time, one should expect to park out a few blocks and walk or seek alternatives. For example, there are many restaurants in the area along the carretera outside of the towns that have ample parking. One can shop at WalMart or Soriana where there is ample parking.

We are blessed with a climate that makes it possible to get out and walk nearly every day of the year. Imagine trying to cope with the layout of these towns in places where the climate is a great deal more hostile.

Guest bennie2

you're not in beverly hills or an upscale resort town in mex. you are in a small low end little town. billboards are not the concern of the govt. as for the cars & parking? eventually the town will be torn down. (most of guadalajara was demolished). later there will not be a centro. it will be a deterioated little area surrounded by highways, malls, parking lots. (if any of it still stands). just like guad. when the larger homes are bought, they will be knocked down. they will be replaced by cheesy apt buildings. (like ceral boxes w/cheap materials). this is not a historic united nations site either. the lake area will be large buildings, maybe another highway. i agree w/ MC, people should park outside centro, walk to thier destinations. since that wont happen, good luck w/it all.

Bennie, none of these towns will be tore down. Nor are any of them "low end." Perhaps you need to get out and see more of Mexico to better understand what low end is.

Most of GDL most certainly hasn't been demolished. There are a lot of old neighborhoods there. And a lot of narrow streets too.

Thanks for the agreement but most of the rest of your post is inaccurate and a little silly IMHO.

I understand that some cannot park and walk. At least now there are alternatives that weren't necessarily available some years ago. And handicapped parking could be expanded to aid that situation. More importantly, a focus on improving the walking environment would help encourage park and walk. We joke with our visitors that they should expect to engage in "broken field walking" here but everyone and particularly the centro merchants would benefit from sidewalk improvements.

What isn't going to happen here are major changes and demolitions to accommodate more cars.

Guest bennie2

MC, most of guad was demolished over the 60 year period. entire neighbothoods were torn down (beautiful ones/mansions), including cathedrals & musuems. look @ the history. look what happend to leon, similar. factories may come here as well, & more storage places. (the coke trucks). have failed to see quaint narrow streets in a middle or upper middle area. most of guad is dreary or cement or tacky attached houses. the downtown has the old buildings, but nothing there. (except a button store & some nice sidewalks). the better areas have all those ugly fast food places. as for low end, ajijic is mixed. the higher end is more invisable. walk around as you look have a look. not the same people who came from guad years ago. (before you were here). ajijic will change to accomodate cars as you say. when you do that, you get what you get. more weekend people, more corporate ops. (like theme parks maybe). its the decision of the global corporate developers.

Archived