Chapala.com Webboard

Pay-as-you-go mobile phone services: Credits supposedly don't expire for a year?

Newbie3

I recharged my phone credits today (they expire tomorrow) by purchasing 100 pesos more. But the text messages now say the credits expire in two months. I thought it was supposed to be a year, under the new law?

"And, for pay-as-you-go mobile phone services, you no longer have to deposit something in the account every two months. That’s been extended to one year."

Anyone else have experience with this??

(I'm using Telcel and bought an Amigo prepaid card from the local grocery store earlier this week, I'm on the Amigo "Fidelidad" (loyalty) pay as you go plan. These are new cards issued recently that have replaced the older ones from before the new law kicked in)

I think it's still something like

20 pesos 10 days

50 pesos 1 month

100 pesos 2 months

I put a $50.00 peso recharge at OXXO every 30 days to get my $600 pesos unused saldo [does not need to be Regalo "gift" saldo] back and it goes to $650.00 pesos good until 30 days from that date but before the rechage when it went out of service it reads when dialing *133# ,for example last month, $600.00 saldo expires on 12-30-2015. exactly 30 days it will shut off service and need a $50.00 peso recharge.

Interestingly, I just now got a text message saying my number needs to be recharged. So that 20 pesos did only last for 10 days, regardless of my regalo points. This is a ridiculous implementation of the new laws. So sad.

Unused pesos in your account are now held for one year and no longer disappear as soon as before. There is no change in length of time for your purchased time. If you do not use them, they are saved for a year, but on 100 pesos purchase you still have to buy more minutes after 60 days. If you use less than 100 they are stored. Using more allows you to dip into the saved pesos after exhausting your 100 pesos in 60 days or less.

Yes, that is really the only difference. I am not sure how long they used to last, either. Even if six months though, it is now doubled. Locally, it will help our many snowbirds who can now leave in the spring and return in the fall with all of their minutes saved.

I, too, have over a thousand pesos saved that I will probably just continue to accumulate due to lack of cell phone useage.

I hope folks know that they can transfer up to 200 pesos of their stored time to another cell phone. It is a nice surprise and a big help to my housekeeper and gardener and about time for me to do it again.

We put on 100 pesos every two months. That means we're getting cell service for like $4 U.S. per month. That is dirt cheap. We can't get anything even close to that NOB.

Phone was dirt cheap too. $15. It does what it is supposed to do: Send and receive calls. The battery is really long lasting.

No complaints here.

I am on the Amigo Optimo pay-as-you-go plan. I found it is not necessary to recharge in order to use the "regalo" time. If my paid saldo runs out, I can still phone other Mex. cell phones (not landlines or long-distance NOB) using the regalo, although I don't get the calls at the same rate as if I recharge 200 pesos at least every 30 days (those are the conditions of my plan- 200 pesos every 30 days to get the best rate). I use the regalo til it's gone. I figure this is more cost-effective than ending up with 1000 minutes of regalo I will never get through.

How do you transfer stored time to a different phone?

Enter 7373 in the # to send a text to is and in the space below [the message] enter the Telcel phone number including the area code space and the amount.

Example: 5552003333 100 to transfer $100 pesos to that Telcel #. Then you will get a message from Telcel "Pasa Tiempo" with the details.

Archived