Chapala.com Webboard

21 Mile Check

Zeb

Werent those done away with last year supposedly? Has anybody seen it recently?

At Nuevo Laredo, México, there was a permanent Garita de Inmigración, which was not open the last time we passed on Dec 28.

The same type of checkpoint exists at 33 permanent locations in TX, NM, AZ, and CA, the closest to Laredo being about 30 miles N on I35N. Same purpose, same questions: to be sure that travelers going into the interior of each country have legal documentation to cross.

Werent those done away with last year supposedly? Has anybody seen it recently?

It was manned on a Sunday in late November, deserted on Dec 28. We presumed due to the holiday and it would be too much work but hey, one less traffic backup is OK by me!

If it is closed, No. If it is open, Yes.

They are not a problem and, if open, will usually just check your vehicle Importada Temporal; maybe your passport, etc. If driving a Mexican plated car, they usually just waved us through.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you one who believes nothing until it has a website? Good luck with that. Read the newspapers at the time of the closings, or take our word for it. Or......what difference does it make for one who is not smuggling?

One difference is that you will not have to stop and get waived thru or be checked for the smuggled items...that you supposedly don't have. I imagine the slow down "we are not kidding" topes will still be in place but I still think we will be safer going thru after the stop than negotiating around slow trucks and cars.

They are doing the checking at the border now. I was checked last time through. At Pharr, red lights are operating much more frequently.

Fortunately for me, they are still very tolerant there. I had a car load of Christmas gifts for kids and they waved me through.

• 3 weeks later...

Two ago. Customs check @km26 south of Nuevo Laredo permanently shut down. In its place, Federales Policia check point. Not sure what their checking for but best have wherever documentation is required handy and compliant.

Two ago. Customs check @km26 south of Nuevo Laredo permanently shut down. In its place, Federales Policia check point. Not sure what their checking for but best have wherever documentation is required handy and compliant.

Not sure which question you are answering. I was asking about US Customs upon entering the US.

No Zeb, no radiographs or cavity searches either. Usually just a wave and a smile; unless you look strange, guilty, fearful, wierd, confused, violent or like a classic drug runner in their daily profile. :)

Yes, the US Homeland Security / CBP operates border checks inside the USA along both its borders. The checkpoints are located between 25 and 75 miles of our borders, with a combination of 33 permanent traffic checkpoints and 71 traffic checkpoints near the US-Mexico border. CBP and ICE also set up ad-hoc temporary border checkpoints in varying locations.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05435.pdf and http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09824.pdf

Also see with this very helpful CBP fact sheet on border checkpoints: http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/bp_checkpoints_2.pdf

Do they still have the signs posted outside Laredo about the millions and millions of dollars in drugs that the dogs have discovered each year at that check point?

Archived