Chapala.com Webboard

Your impressions of Dra. Teresa Morales please

Guest bennie2

betsy, i know that the pharm keeps the scripts. what happens after that i dont know. my friend is a dental surgeon in guad, she spoke w/me about this.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bennie, please explain how this " kickback " for prescriptions works.

Mexican physicians write lots of prescriptions for medicines that do not require a prescription, because if you take the prescription to a farma that the physician has an "arrangement" (acuerdo) with, the farma pays a kickback to the physician for writing the script.

If you think about it: Only barbituates, narcotics, and antibiotics require a prescription.

Bennie, my husband is a doc in Chapala and he has never received any kickback from a pharmacy or pharmaceutical company. I think it is entirely possible that SOME doctors might have an agreement with SOME pharmacies to give a kickback but it isn't an automatic thing and I don't know of any pharmacies in the Chapala area ( or any other area ) that do that, or any doctors that have such an arrangement. In any case, it is NOT a common practice .

Occasionally the pharmaceutical companies will offer some nice perks for Dr.s and their spouses ....a nice all expenses paid weekend at a beach resort or a fancy dinner party...we have been on a number of these trips and attended some lavish parties but there are not any strings attached. Yes they are promoting their products but that's just business.

And the only reason doctors write scripts for non prescription meds is so that the patient will know what to take and how to take it, it is a courtesy to write the instructions out for the patient. Also most of these meds are behind the counter anyway.

The exception to the kickback from pharmacies is for the Doctors that work at the " similares" . They only prescribe what is available and they do get something for the prescriptions they write. That should not come as a surprise to anyone.

It isn't the same thing exactly, but when Dr. Garcia gives you medication instead of a prescription you might want to check the cost of the medication. This happened to us last year and we found that he was charging us double what we could buy it for at Guadalajara Pharmacia. The next time we went back we told him we wanted a prescription ... he had us coming back every day for a shot that my husband could have given me just so we had to pay for the medication at his office. We obtained a prescription and saved a good bit of money. Needless to say ... he is one of the physicians we have tried and forgotten.

Which Dr Garcia are you talking about? They are a bunch of them.

I always ask the doctor for a prescription because I want to see the instructions from the doctor but I am free to get generics or what the doctor prescribed and I never had a doctor telling me where to buy the medecines. I think some people around here have way to much time on their hand and are into conspiracy fantasy land.

No, it isn't the same thing...not at all. Doctors need to make money to stay in business .

Not everyone is willing to do injections themselves and why would you expect a doctor to procure your medication, use his own supplies, his time and everything else it takes for him to be in business for only the cost of the medication? Charging you to give an injection is entirely legitimate.

You imply that this is the reason you have " forgotten " Dr. Garcia ... Because he is trying to make a living? Sheesh.

You will always hear good and bad reviews on the same doctor. They are not perfect, and it seems that one of their functions is to write prescriptions when you have a problem, no matter how small. You should at least check online before trusting anyone 100%. There is no reason today to stay in the dark and trust someone else (even a doctor) with your health.

Before accusing a doctor of incompetence, make sure you know what you’re talking about. Make sure your ears are good and you understand what the Dr. tells you. It is serious business to tarnish the reputation of someone in a public forum.

I don’t mind negative critiques when they are justified and true. But I don’t accept gossip, exaggeration and ignorance.

An example: you might not know that pneumonia is also caused by fungi. So if a doctor says you have a lung fungus and another says you have pneumonia, they are both right. Pneumonia is caused by bacteria, viruses or fungi. The poster who accused Dr Morales of incompetence based on his ignorance of that fact was wrong. I also noticed other discrepancies in some people’s judgment, but I won’t go there.

Nobody can force you to have a series of test if you don’t agree. At a certain age though, it is prudent to do so when need be. Why are you visiting the doctor if you feel good? If Dr. Morales found bacteria, parasites or amoebas, it’s because you HAVE them. She’s the only one I know who can diagnose them properly with a method that no other doctors use. Over the years, I have sent her nine people whom I suspected to have parasites. Four had a serious amount of amoebas and one had a few. She can also test the seriousness of the attack by your white globules count.

She’s not infallible, and I always question and check online before I take any medications. What I like about her besides being available on the phone and being a good listener is that she’s open to discussion and she accepts information I bring when I say openly that I don’t agree with her diagnosis. My doctor NOB would have kicked me out of her office if I had expressed the slightest doubt in her opinion. Dr. Morales even asks me to bring her the information for her to study. She respects you and wants to work together to find the problem. She’s wrong sometimes but at least she can admit it. This is far from being arrogant.

I also find that husband and wife team (with her husband as pathologist) is an advantage. They consult each other on certain issues. I rather have my tests done by him than by another lab in Guad. The amoebas’ tests are ready in 30 minutes. Many other tests are sent away because he’s not equipped for them.

Betsey, I also think anyone ... doctors included should make a living. However, it seemed rather underhanded when Dr. Garcia of Mascaras Clinic told me that I needed injections. We immediately told him that my husband could give injections ... he said that was o.k. he would go ahead and give it to me. Then he told us to come back the next day for another. By the 3rd day we were beginning to wonder what the heck ... his price to give the shot was $300.00 (no visit ... just give the shot). The price of the medication that was in the shot was $350.00 pesos. Yes, $650.00 each day. When we finally insisted on a prescription we bought the medication for $125.00 pesos and my husband gave me the shot. Now, if this is the way you are used to a physician charging more power to him and you. This is NOT the way we are used to being treated by physicians here at Lakeside or Guadalajara.

And, no, bmh this is no conspiracy and no fantasy land. This was our personal experience.

Guest bennie2

luke you are correct. i usually am honest w/drs. i tell them i cant spend that much $, then they dont have those expectations. garcia has a right to charge for the shot, you have the right to do it the other way. if he wont respect that, then its time to move on. koko, dont worry about drs "reputations" they are doing just fine. everyone here talks &posts about drs. they never lose their following. i am sure dr. T wont have any cancellations. why does everyone take it personally? it a DOCTOR, not allah.

Along with Gwynn's parasites, she does find skin cancer with a surprising frequency. When we lived in Joco, 3 or 4 friends were diagnosed with skin cancer but rather than a needle biopsy, she cut off a large chunk of skin because she said she was quite sure it was cancer. When the results came back, they were found to be cancer free. I admit, after that, I never went to her myself.

luke you are correct. i usually am honest w/drs. i tell them i cant spend that much $, then they dont have those expectations. garcia has a right to charge for the shot, you have the right to do it the other way. if he wont respect that, then its time to move on. koko, dont worry about drs "reputations" they are doing just fine. everyone here talks &posts about drs. they never lose their following. i am sure dr. T wont have any cancellations. why does everyone take it personally? it a DOCTOR, not allah.

Bennie, where do you see that I take it personally. On the contrary, I'm pragmatic. I gave my opinion just like you did and like everyone else. Except, mine is fair and respectful of others: a doctor or Allah--each their own merit or fault. Some commentaries here were unjustified and wrong. That touches gossip.and we all know what gossips are worth.

Along with Gwynn's parasites, she does find skin cancer with a surprising frequency. When we lived in Joco, 3 or 4 friends were diagnosed with skin cancer but rather than a needle biopsy, she cut off a large chunk of skin because she said she was quite sure it was cancer. When the results came back, they were found to be cancer free. I admit, after that, I never went to her myself.

Somebody is trying very hard to ruin that doctor’s reputation. Who else on this board would know 3 or 4 friends (and is that so hard to remember if it’s 3 or 4) who have the same skin problem, go to the same doctor, have the same thing done and all come out cancer free. It’s a bit too pushy for me to believe you.

Firstly, if the doctor took a biopsy, it was to check out for cancer, so it was not diagnosed yet. Cancer was suspected . . . that’s the term.

Secondly, if cancer is suspected, the doctor has to take a skin biopsy (take a chunk of skin, yes) not a needle biopsy (?) humm! She has to have it analyzed to confirm if it’s cancer. So your 3 or 4 friends did not have cancer. Good.

Thirdly, she would have referred them to a dermatologist who comes to her clinic, and not do it herself. I have personally asked her to check the skin on my arm and she referred me to the dermatologist.

Now, tell me what would have happened if the doctor had neglected to do so, and cancer would have showed up 6 months later? Hein!! Then you would have something to talk about.

Sorry, but I don’t buy it.

Had to laugh at this one. Everybody I know who has gone to her has "had parasites". The joke is that if you go to her for a broken leg, you will come out with a cast....and medicine for parasites.

I hope the cast will be put on the leg and not on the arm. :D that one is funny,

And yes, you normally take medication against parasites.You don't seem to know much on the subject, do you?

If she sees parasites, and other doctors don't, she must have a good technique to find them. Other doctors miss them like Dr. XXX missed my husband's. So he went to Dr. Morales and he was treated and he already felt better after only three days on antibiotics. So who was the better doctor here: the one who found them and got rid of them or the one who did not see them because they did not show in the feces as they were already in cyst forms and hiding against the intestine walls. It takes more than one test to see them but not with Dr. Morales' method. As somone already mentioned, Dr Morales's method is the best.

Guest bennie2

seesaw, she seems like a good parasite doc. koko, the last line of my comment was not directed to you. it was to a member who is so bent out of shape (about critisizing her dr.) that she & her husband sent me PMs, as well as comments here on forum. that was the allah comparism. some patients over react.

You will always hear good and bad reviews on the same doctor. They are not perfect, and it seems that one of their functions is to write prescriptions when you have a problem, no matter how small. You should at least check online before trusting anyone 100%. There is no reason today to stay in the dark and trust someone else (even a doctor) with your health.

Before accusing a doctor of incompetence, make sure you know what you’re talking about. Make sure your ears are good and you understand what the Dr. tells you. It is serious business to tarnish the reputation of someone in a public forum.

I don’t mind negative critiques when they are justified and true. But I don’t accept gossip, exaggeration and ignorance.

An example: you might not know that pneumonia is also caused by fungi. So if a doctor says you have a lung fungus and another says you have pneumonia, they are both right. Pneumonia is caused by bacteria, viruses or fungi. The poster who accused Dr Morales of incompetence based on his ignorance of that fact was wrong. I also noticed other discrepancies in some people’s judgment, but I won’t go there.

Nobody can force you to have a series of test if you don’t agree. At a certain age though, it is prudent to do so when need be. Why are you visiting the doctor if you feel good? If Dr. Morales found bacteria, parasites or amoebas, it’s because you HAVE them. She’s the only one I know who can diagnose them properly with a method that no other doctors use. Over the years, I have sent her nine people whom I suspected to have parasites. Four had a serious amount of amoebas and one had a few. She can also test the seriousness of the attack by your white globules count.

She’s not infallible, and I always question and check online before I take any medications. What I like about her besides being available on the phone and being a good listener is that she’s open to discussion and she accepts information I bring when I say openly that I don’t agree with her diagnosis. My doctor NOB would have kicked me out of her office if I had expressed the slightest doubt in her opinion. Dr. Morales even asks me to bring her the information for her to study. She respects you and wants to work together to find the problem. She’s wrong sometimes but at least she can admit it. This is far from being arrogant.

I also find that husband and wife team (with her husband as pathologist) is an advantage. They consult each other on certain issues. I rather have my tests done by him than by another lab in Guad. The amoebas’ tests are ready in 30 minutes. Many other tests are sent away because he’s not equipped for them.

I regret starting this thread. A friend of mine had recommended her and I mearly was expecting some mild opinins such as rates, availability, etc. Not subjecting her to an open discussion like this. I feel that this has become un appropriate especially since she can't defend herself. I ask the mods to shut this down now !

Archived