Chapala.com Webboard

beautiful leather hand bags

Starlady

The leather craftsman on the carretera (across from Rustico, a little west) has just made beautiful four pocket zippered hand bags in pastel colors. I bought one yesterday for 200 pesos. Take a look. The workmanship is just beautiful. I did not need a bag but bought one just because of his skill!

I guess I will go back to that store and buy one as a gift. I was there 2 months ago and talked to the owner and

I commented that everybody is selling only black,brown and blue bags. Perhaps he listened.

He has been making colored bags for years - he must have been out.

I have purple, royal blue, silver, brown, black, etc etc......and he will always

make various other colors on request!

The leather craftsman on the carretera (across from Rustico, a little west) has just made beautiful four pocket zippered hand bags in pastel colors. I bought one yesterday for 200 pesos. Take a look. The workmanship is just beautiful. I did not need a bag but bought one just because of his skill!

What does it look like? Is it a purse with a strap? Thanks.

He can make anything at that shop and can find really pretty leather pieces.

My advise is do not give him money in advance without a written receipt. He took advantage of my trusting nature, twice (Yes I am a fool) and I never got my purses last time.... after six visits. I gave up and he kept my 400 pesos. (He said a receipt was not necessary because he would have them ready in two days. I am no longer such a dummy)

On the other hand: I am really sorry I had to stop buying from him because his work was good and his prices fair. Maybe he has mended his ways.

I think the previous posters are talking about a small purse , about a foot long and 6 inches wide, has 6 outside zippered compartments, and a long thin strap that hangs on your shoulder down to about mid hip. I bought one from him and asked him to change the liner to white fabric so I could see inside it better. He did it but took about six visits for him to remember to do it. On the 5 th visit I went in with a Coke , gave it to him and told him I would be back tomorrow for my purse so have it done. I went back and it was ready but he did a really crappy job with the lining, at that point I was sick of going back so I let it be.

Ah Mexico, it is a world unto its own.......Once you learn to live with it and can laugh without getting too upset, it makes it such an awesome place to be.

He can do beautiful work. We gave him an "anticipo" to make 2 men's leather jackets. He was to have them the following week. Almost 3 months later, we gave up and he did return the Anticipo. We were disappointed as the jackets are lovely but we grew weary of the "next week, next week, mañana, mañana....." attitude.

I'd love some of his pastel purses but only if they are actually already in stock. Worth a look....

Valerie :)

Archived