Chapala.com Webboard

New "bakery"

HelperGuy

Pancho has installed a baking oven in SuperLake, and the products are superb. He does a multi-grain loaf that looks just like CostCos, and tastes great. He also has a variety of other items, including fruit empanadas. Between Ken selling his superior dessert and dinner pies, and Secret Garden their brownies and carrot muffins, this is a great place to stop for fresh stuff like this.

Hmmm... it shows up on my screen; however, in this new software version, it's in a kind of "pill" graphic. I see it also shows up greyed out in the main threads view.

You're right Jeanette - when I look closely I can see it - the color is not too good for older eyes!

I bought 2 baguettes from SL a couple of days ago. (one for me and the other for a friend) We miss our sourdough French bread from San Francisco, so these will have to do until I start my own sourdough starter. They were yummy. I made an arracherra French dip with mine. Yummy. I'm looking forward to trying the other bakery items soon.

Google is a wonderful tool when you want to know something.

"

Easy Sourdough Starter Recipe - How To Make Sourdough Starter

Recipe Type: Sourdough Bread, Far West

Yields: 2 to 3 cups starter

Prep time: 5 min

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour*

2 teaspoons granulated sugar (optional)**

> 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) of active-dry yeast

2 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees F.)***

* I have also had excellent results using whole wheat flour. Whole wheat starter does not have as much rising action as that made with white flour; you may have to plan longer rising times. I usually add some whole wheat flour along with the white flour (I have even used some rye flour with excellent results).

** Adding a little sugar will help jump start the yeast process, as yeast feeds on sugar for its energy. Yeast rises by feeding on the sugars in flour, and expelling carbon dioxide in the process. That's why using just a little sugar can help boost this process. Don't overdo the sugar.

*** If the water you use contains chlorine, use distilled water, bottled water, or tap water that you've allowed to set out for 24 hours when you make your starter. Chlorine can stop the development of yeast.

Preparation:

Mix the flour, sugar, and yeast together in a clean and sterile container (use only glass, glazed ceramic or crockery to hold your starter. No metal or plastic) that can hold two quarts. Gradually stir in the water and mix until it forms a thick paste (don't worry about any lumps, as they will disappear).

Cover the container with a dish cloth and let it sit in a warm (70 to 80 degrees F.), draft-free place. NOTE: Temperatures hotter than 100 degrees F. or so will kill the yeast.

The dish cloth will let wild yeasts pass through into the batter. The mixture should bubble as it ferments (this will foam up quite a bit).

Sometimes I place the container in my sink (if sourdough spills out onto your counter, it is hard to clean off once it has dried).

Let it sit out from 2 to 5 days, stirring it once a day. The starter is ready when it develops a pleasant sour smell and looks bubbly.

Once your starter starts bubbling, then start feeding it daily with flour and water according to the directions below.

Then stir it, cover loosely with plastic wrap (allow a little breathing space), and store it on your counter top or in the refrigerator (your choice)."

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also going to recommend the chocolate chip cookies, if you can afford them...

So right you are! Excellent. We are hard to please when it comes to chocolate chip cookies. These are excellent! Thanks for the suggestion.

Carol

The baguette was delicious in my opinion and I could not resist eating the two croutons just like I did when I was a little girl. The sign ist was not truly like a French one is that is was still good several hours later and did not harden like French bread does. I made some French toast (The real stuff with rhum in it) two days later with some left over and it was perfect for that too.

The croissant are very good as well especially when eaten hot out of the oven.

I am very sure that the empanadas and chocolate filled "brioche" squares are from Costco. I have bought the exact empanadas and squares at Costco twice now. I don't know if the chocolate chip cookies are also from there or not. I've been buying those bakery items at Costco for much less and freezing them. I bought them once at SL to compare and then realized they came from Costco! Handy though if you don't make it to Guad.

My favorite baguette type bread comes from Soriana. And it's not sour dough.

I will let a "secret" slip... Pancho buys from the same wholesale bakery in Guadalajara that CostCo uses. But he is trying more items than CostCo has, to see what people like.

And the bakery beside him that closed was his sister's operation, and I thought that pretty much everything she sold was awful. So he's decided to do it right. Have you tried the pan rustico yet? Two types: one with raisins, one with olives. Wow, delicious.

Archived