Chapala.com Webboard

Lakeside Medical Group for Ontario Canadians

It has been my experience that OHIP will not cover any cost of medical expenses incurred while outside of Canada.  That is why you need to have a third party travel insurance plan from a carrier such as CAA when travelling to Mexico.

• Like 1

In 2008 my mom needed an emergency angiogram followed by the implant of 4 stents in Guadalajara and no I did not have insurance for her as she was 83 at the time. I had all the bills translated to English and submitted them to OHIP on return to Ontario. They reimbursed me the equivalent of what the surgery would have cost in Ontario. The thinking back then is that it would have happened regardless of where my mom was. From memory I got back about 50 percent of the total costs which is better then nothing...

• Like 1

I went through all the steps to register with this group. Got accepted and received a card. The first time I presented their card to pay for a consultation, it was rejected. The clinic was told the card was not valid. When I complained, they told me I would have to prove I was not just travelling. Despite the facty I have lived here for over 20 years and hold a Permanente residence status.

• Like 1