Chapala.com Webboard

US Credit card refused for on-line purchase but bank says it's OK

cookj5

I recently tried to use my US credit card to order items on-line from Amazon (US) and Apple. My intent was to have the items sent to a friend who is visiting in the US and can bring them down to me when he returns. I have been doing this without a problem for more than a decade. For mysterious reasons, none of my transactions went through. I have checked with the bank that issues my card and they said it's fine. I also checked with both Amazon and Apple. Both said the problem was not with them. The refusal messages on their websites advised me to try another payment method. I ultimately persuaded a friend in Ajijic to make the orders on his US card to see if they would go through. To our surprise, they did not. I suspect that Amazon and Apple (and perhaps other companies) are now using algorithms that are able to detect orders coming from Mexico and are automatically declining them. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to solve problem. If my credit card is not usable in Mexico, it will soon be a major problem for me.

I use my Canadian Visa card on both Amazon U.S. and Amazon Mexico.  Orders on Mexican site as recently as 10 days ago no problem.  I DID however, have to have my Canadian bank change my billing address from the Canadian bank to iShop's point in Laredo because over 10 years  ago another site refused to complete the order if billing address and shipping address weren't both in the same country. At that time,  Amazon U.S.didn't care.  I don't think we even had Amazon Mx in those days.  Amazon DOES know I live in Mexico.

When I hit snags, I PHONE.  Amazon U.S. 001-206-922-0880    If the recording offers to call you back, don't accept. Their operators are NOT allowed to phone outside U.S. boundaries.   Amazon Mx  800-874-8725  (only Spanish)

• Like 1

Never had a credit card declined, but sometimes get a declined transaction.

It happens when I have my Mex address set as default, but intend to ship to the US or Canada from amazon dot com or dot ca and cannot complete a transaction because, silly me, forget to change the address to the US or Canada.

• Like 1

I have a US credit card for my Amazon Mx Account. No problem.  They continue to let me spend money.

I have a US credit card for my Roku TV and do stream Amazon.  Amazon requires a Mexican credit/debit card for movies on my MX Roku TV - so cannot watch any movies that require payment as don't want to share my Mx debit card info with Amazon..  Just as well I guess.  Saves me money.

I take back what I said above.    On Thursday I purchased two items with my Bank of America credit card.  Amazon.MX confirmed my purchase and said the delivery would be on Tuesday, and that a signature was required.  I just went into my bank account and the purchase was listed and it was stated that  PAYMENT WAS REFUSED.   I will be curious if my delivery occurs on Tuesday.  

2 hours ago, Floradude said:

Chatted with Bank of America (email) this morning (Monday) about the Payment Refused.  They suggested we wait until tomorrow when the items are scheduled for delivery.  To be continued...

Have you actually looked at delivery status on Amazon to see if your order shipped and if yes, when delivery will be? 

• Like 1

Re the delivery status of an item on Amazon    it order not shown as delivered, I then click this link Ver todas las actualizaciones  which is found under Se envio con etc

Se envió con Estafeta
ID de seguimiento: 001589050861A601883986

Ver todas las actualizaciones 

Note - when checking shipping status, I always check that link for accurate info.  Most of my orders are delivered the day after arriving at Pacific