Chapala.com Webboard

Real Estate Questions to ask

Zeb

If noise is your question, be sure and check for nearby bars and gyms with noisy exercise classes hours every day.  That loud noise is ongoing all year around until enough people complain and they give in, or go out of business.  The fiesta noise - firecrackers and bandas, only happens sporadically on certain saints days of the year.  Rather than avoiding living near churches, ask and find out when their patron saint fiesta happens.

Check the house at various times of day and on the weekends. Talk to the neighbors and ask what houses in the area have been sold recently(indicates there may be problems)

19 hours ago, HarryB said:

Check the house at various times of day and on the weekends. Talk to the neighbors and ask what houses in the area have been sold recently(indicates there may be problems)

That is various times of the NIGHT and day!  A lot of bar noise doesn't even start until 11 or so and could go much longer, especially at an evento place.

Before you hire an inspector, ask the realtor who the contractor was who built this house. This is very important in this part of the world. Maybe confirm with the contractor, if they are still around, that they did indeed build that house.

A frac., condo, or H.O.A. in Mexico is very different here than in the north. The makers of the bylaws may huff, puff and fantasize  all they want, but when it comes down to it - bylaws are both difficult and expensive to enforce. Land and labour laws are very "left" of centre here in Mexico.

44 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Before you hire an inspector, ask the realtor who the contractor was who built this house. This is very important in this part of the world. Maybe confirm with the contractor, if they are still around, that they did indeed build that house.

A frac., condo, or H.O.A. in Mexico is very different here than in the north. The makers of the bylaws may huff, puff and fantasize  all they want, but when it comes down to it - bylaws are both difficult and expensive to enforce. Land and labour laws are very "left" of centre here in Mexico.

Good idea.  I would certainly look into the so called rules of the HOA. We typically don't like HOAs.  I can see some fees for common grounds maintenance, but that's about all.  I don't like being told what I am allowed to do with my own property.  This is how we lived in the US and didn't care for it.

Zeb, we are helping a mutual friend find a rural property. She has decided to take a house in Chapala. There is a whole different world of rentals owned by Mexicans. They are realistic, and we have seen many beautiful properties, around $350 U.S. per month, not all in the boonies or mud shacks either. There is beautiful house/condo for rent almost on the Jocotepec malecon. 3 bd, 2 bath, all nice furniture, shared community pool, beautiful gardens, built 2012, -$350 per month or equivalent in pesos. Seems like American and Canadian owned properties are stuck on $600 or $1,200 U.S. price points - this converts to an extremely high rent in pesos.

Look at electric bills. Some homes have other adjoining homes meaning few windows. Almost daily I see CFE bills of clients applying for driver's license etc and bills of 3000 to 4000 pesos for 2 months are not uncommon.

On my web site I cover home construction. http://www.soniadiaz.mx/real-estate.html

And, I recommend following what Spencer has posted.

saludos

Sonia

Buying a home certainly is not an investment opportunity... But it does offset spending upwards of $18,000 in rent annually... which over ten years,  balances out any potential loss due to owning.... 

A home inspection is a rudimentary home purchase requirement here or NOB... It allows the buyer to renegotiate the price or require the existing owner to fix any discrepancies... Local realtors would do well to employ seller's disclosure form enforceable or not... It is just good business...

Archived