Chapala.com Webboard

Passport pages

Zeb

With multiple trips to and from Mexico, one of us is about to run out of pages, even though the passport isn't even close to needing renewal. Any solutions?

I thought a passport was not necessary for travel to and from Mexico. What is the other option?

Since adding passport pages costs a minimum of $82, some people choose to just renew their passport for $110.

There are 2 benefits to renewing the passport: It extends the expiration date, and you can request a bigger passport with 52 pages for no additional costs, if you want a whole bunch of pages

What a rip-off. All that money just to get bureaucrats to have a job for more paper. I could just as easily get some paper and staple it on there so they can affix their silly stamp on it!

It seems the big disadvantage to whatever option I pick, I have to mail in the current passport, which means, you have no passport in the meantime. Seems to me, I read somewhere you could request a duplicate passport if you had travel plans that required it.

What a rip-off. All that money just to get bureaucrats to have a job for more paper. I could just as easily get some paper and staple it on there so they can affix their silly stamp on it!

It seems the big disadvantage to whatever option I pick, I have to mail in the current passport, which means, you have no passport in the meantime. Seems to me, I read somewhere you could request a duplicate passport if you had travel plans that required it.

I think that is why it is suggested you just get a new one and opt for a lot more pages.

The cost is nearly the same.

The U.S. Consulate will be at LCS on Monday May 4th. Sign up sheet available at 10 am - consulate arrives

at 10:20 - 10:30 or so. If you decide to add the extra pages you will need a check for the exact amount from

CIBanco which is in Centro Laguna mall near Wing's Army and the cinema.

Consul returns to LCS on Wednesday, June 10th.

To renew you need your passport, the completed application available at the consul website or LCS Office has copies

for 7 pesos (cost of the copies). In addition the check again issued by CIBanco for $110 as well as two photos

which can also be taken at LCS that same morning.

For an additional $30 (plus the renewal of $110) you can also request a passport card. I believe that this card

is valid for land crossings only - but it is also a valid U.S. photo ID in lieu of carrying your passport. Easier to carry

for a photo ID in the states than your passport, especially for those of us who no longer have an other U.S. photo ID.

The U.S. Consulate will be at LCS on Monday May 4th. Sign up sheet available at 10 am - consulate arrives

at 10:20 - 10:30 or so. If you decide to add the extra pages you will need a check for the exact amount from

CIBanco which is in Centro Laguna mall near Wing's Army and the cinema.

Consul returns to LCS on Wednesday, June 10th.

To renew you need your passport, the completed application available at the consul website or LCS Office has copies

for 7 pesos (cost of the copies). In addition the check again issued by CIBanco for $110 as well as two photos

which can also be taken at LCS that same morning.

For an additional $30 (plus the renewal of $110) you can also request a passport card. I believe that this card

is valid for land crossings only - but it is also a valid U.S. photo ID in lieu of carrying your passport. Easier to carry

for a photo ID in the states than your passport, especially for those of us who no longer have an other U.S. photo ID.

The passport card also gets you access into the vehicle "Ready Lanes" and pedestrian "Ready Lanes" when crossing by vehicle or foot and these lanes are faster than the non "Ready Lanes". A US passport is not accepted only the passport card even though both have a chip, older passport books may not have a chip. They say it is a different chip in each?

Also INM accepts passport cards at land crossings and border city airports and don´t ask for your US book passport to stamp, only if you want a stamp in this case. INM offices in Mexico when applying for any "tramite" don´t even want to look at them, only a US book passport in that case will do. They have a different number.

Wait til you see what it costs to renounce your US citizenship, Google it.

Thanks for the reminders of our family member's and friend's efforts and sacrifices in Desert Storm, Desert Shield, Vietnam War, Korean War, and The Big One ... where we lost loved ones both during the wars/conflicts and afterwards (Gulf War "Syndrome" and PTSD).

It's so good to remember and honor them. We had a favored uncle, a gentle Virginian bank manager, who lost men at Anzio and was never the same after that, committed suicide in 1960. What a toll they've paid for us.

Historically, many paid dearly for their freedom from tyranny from the British. That's the whole point. Governments over time take away more of that freedom.

When you come to a point where their behavior is no longer acceptable, you shouldn't have to pay for permission to give that up. To want to give up citizenship from a country that no longer respects freedom is not a lack of appreciation for anyone's sacrifice.

You shouldn't assume what I appreciate or don't appreciate as know nothing about me. I lost many family members as a result of many atrocities that were committed, so I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgment on someone whom you have never met and whose history you do not know.

As for those other wars, that's a whole other topic.

I believe the forum rules are no personal attacks.

This is typically what happens when a topic is finished. It turns to wandering off somewhere and inevitably gets closed by a moderator due to attacks pretty much unrelated to anything. I wonder what would happen if posters were allowed to close their own threads when their question was answered or it starting going far afield?

A poster can request a moderator to close a thread the poster started.

I'm impressed with the self moderating going on here you all really are a great group of folks!

I'm going to close this one only because the original point/question has been fully addressed. It appears the best way to get a passport with more pages is to renew and make sure you have specified that is what you want.

I'll wager this information will be useful to a lot of folks on this board.

Archived