Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Auto Insurance - Border or on line purchase

Zeb

I find it easiest to purchase online. You can specify the start date for when you plan to cross and print out the documents to carry with you. An example of one company offering this service is Lewis & Lewis - www.mexicanautoinsurance.com

Do you have a MX plated vehicle? If so, most MX policies now cover you in the U.S.

We have a Mexican plated vehicle insured with Qualitas. It affords no collision coverage in the US and a maximum of only $100,000 US liability which does not meet the minimum required. We have to get yet another policy that adds an additional $200,000 US only after the first $100,000 has been spent.

Do you have a MX plated vehicle? If so, most MX policies now cover you in the U.S.

I'm not sure to whom you were addressing this question. Perhaps it was me, since I am the OP. We do not have Mex plates or car. It is US auto and insurance to date.

I would definitely recommend online. You won't want to be looking for agents when you get to the border. And you won't know who to choose, and you won't be able to compare. Six month policies are inexpensive online. I switched to Mexico Bob at http://www.mexican-autoinsurance.com/a couple of years ago. I had formerly been using discoverbajaonline.com, a site for travellers.

Archived