Chapala.com Webboard

tinnitus (ringing in ear)

kaddiwampus

I'm online a lot so I use online white noise generators. The idea is that if you roughly match the frequency of the tinnitus, it reduces the pain. Try it, it works. You can set it up as background sound while you do other things on the computer.

You can also get white noise dvds, like ambient rain sounds, that can help. The only problem there is that using headphones is the worst thing you can do when you have tinnitus, so it needs to be set up as room sounds.

I've had it for years and it has gotten worse as my hearing has diminished, and a good friend of mine even tried a surgical solution for hers, no results. I know this isn't much help but I find keeping "white noise" in the background really helps to wash it out a little. I purchased a sound machine in the States that's made just for that purpose. If the tone and pitch of the white noise is set correctly, it has a negating effect, at least for me.

Sea--you have pain with your tinnitus? I'm so sorry to hear that--quite awful. Mine is just hissing.

Mine is variable, usually on the lower end of the continuum (hissing). Sometimes it does get quite bad though and the white noise provides relief.

I have had tinnitus for years and recently had a very complete audiology exam at the Tucson VA Medical Center. They confirmed my hearing loss and prescribed hearing aids that they claim may help the tinnitus a bit. As with most men my age, the loss is primarily in the high frequency ranges, making it difficult to understand female voices; no, it is not selective hearing, as some ladies will claim. Of course, I also need the TV louder than my wife requires, so the VA is going to provide me with a bluetooth gadget that will plug into the TV‘s audio out jack and be received by the new hearing aids. It will include a separate, dedicated volume control that will be independent of the TV volume set for my wife‘s comfort level. Just this morning, the VA called to tell me that I can pick them up on the 30th, so my curiosity will have to wait just a bit longer.

I ran across a fellow on the city bus that said he cured his tinnitis by putting drops of rogaine in his ear. It seems as if the loss of some tiny hairs may be the root of the problem. How the rogaine would get past the ear drum is beyond me. Maybe he has punctured ear drums. I didn't dare try it.

I too went to the VA, and they gave me hearing aids and a ton of batteries. They work great, but there are drawbacks. I hear noises that I never knew existed. The car ran so much better before I got the hearing aids. My kids use foul language that I never heard them use before. My wife makes snarky comments under her breathe.

Well, at least I can hear the TV now.

Thanks all for posting. I developed tinnitus about 6 months ago and it can get overwhelming at times. Now I know what my husband has been going through for the past 20 years! I will try these remedies - interesting that you can get white noise over the internet, have to try that one!

After doing some research on the internet, I find that Rogane can cause tinnitus. Also the following:

Hello all, here is the info on Minoxidil and tinnitus, its from this link

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.balds ... 4ad7d90f94

Minoxidil is known to grow hair in part due to its effects on potassium
channels (diazoxide also opens potassium channels). Potassium channel
genetic defects are associated both with hair cell disorders (deafness)
and epilepsy (epileptic seizures can be induced by dropping GABA
levels). Exposure to loud noises produces tinnitus and inhibits GABA
functioning of inner-ear hair follicles (also ups glutamate; note the
warning with minoxidil not to use it if you have ringing in your ears.

Just sayin': We'd all like to help on another. That's a good thing. However, when it comes to suggesting medical treatments, drug remedies and the suchlike, we shouldn't take advice from a web board instead of going to a doctor.

Diseases could be getting worse.

Tinnitus could be caused by more than one thing.

After doing some research on the internet, I find that Rogane can cause tinnitus. Also the following:

Hello all, here is the info on Minoxidil and tinnitus, its from this link

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.balds ... 4ad7d90f94

Minoxidil is known to grow hair in part due to its effects on potassium

channels (diazoxide also opens potassium channels). Potassium channel

genetic defects are associated both with hair cell disorders (deafness)

and epilepsy (epileptic seizures can be induced by dropping GABA

levels). Exposure to loud noises produces tinnitus and inhibits GABA

functioning of inner-ear hair follicles (also ups glutamate; note the

warning with minoxidil not to use it if you have ringing in your ears.

OK - now that is REALLY interesting. I just started using minoxidil, sporadically, in the last year. And, that's the same time frame in which tinnitus suddenly appeared. With no exposure to loud noises. OK, I'll stop the minoxidil and see what happens....

Archived