Chapala.com Webboard

Costco

gogirl

The Google maps do not show the overpasses, underpasses, off-ramps or anything very clearly. Look, you may be just trying to give them confidence by saying it's easy. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying, but people who already profess to be uncomfortable in these situations need a little more help. Okay, I'm going to post some serious instructions right here. And I'll be surprised if I haven't forgotten a thing or two, but I'm also willing to bet they represent a lot more to think about than yours. "Know the main roads" doesn't help when you don't know the main roads.

- highway from Chapala to Guadalajara

- past the airport a few clicks

- highway sweeps to the right and goes around the Hotel Tapatio

- Hotel Tapatio exit is on your left

- Stay in the left lane but do not take that Tapatio exit

- about 1/4 click down the hill from the Tapatio exit there is an offramp to the left

- (you can also continue straight, where the next right is the route to Tlaquepaque)

- take the offramp, which veers off from the road you are on, but is not a left turn

- you are now on the new bridge. Stay in the right lane; shortly there is an exit on your right. If you miss it, there is another final exit again on your right, but you must watch for merging traffic.

- now you are on Lazaro Cardenas

- Eventually you will get onto the second new bridge, which is quite long

- I usally take the third offramp to the right. I think you can take the last offramp to the right, if you miss the third, and continue along until Av. Vallarta signs appear

- You must go under the Vallarta overpass, merging left asap, because you don’t want to get caught in the right lane. The left lane you're merging into then does a fairly strong left turn immediately.

- Over the bridge and stay on the right, taking your first exit.

- Several more blocks and you will hit a major set of lights at Rafael Sanzio; you will turn left, so stay in the left lane.

- If you are going to CostCo, just before the lights at Rafael Sanzio, there is a retorno from the left lane. Take that. It is only the width of the boulevard. Stay to the right.

- merge as you come out of the retorno and immediately move to the right lane, because your first right turn is Costco.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See? I thought the directions from saege007 were good. Everybody's different. Sometimes too many instructions are worse than too few. Also, I'm from the US. We don't do "clicks", ComputerGuy. We measure the world in Miles. Miles and miles of miles!!! :ph34r:

See? I thought the directions from saege007 were good. Everybody's different. Sometimes too many instructions are worse than too few. Also, I'm from the US. We don't do "clicks", ComputerGuy. We measure the world in Miles. Miles and miles of miles!!! :ph34r:

But Travis - you are living in a country that measures distances in "clicks" - time to get used to them don't you think?

But Travis - you are living in a country that measures distances in "clicks" - time to get used to them don't you think?

Of course I'm used to clicks. I just wanted to give ComputerGuy a kick. After stressing the need for uber-clarity in direction giving, he used slang for kilometers, which is unfamiliar to a lot of new people here who have just arrived from the U.S.

I've got that right, right? A "click" is a kilometer? Brilliant. B)

Seriously, I think it's fun slang, I just don't think you can expect everybody to understand it.

'In military terms, a "klick" means a distance of 1000 meters (one kilometer, or .62 miles). So, if a Soldier radios, "We're 10 klicks south of your position," that means they are 10 kilometers away, or 6.2 miles away. Most historians concur that the term first came into wide use in the U.S. Military during the Vietnam War. However, the exact origin of the term is lost.' (about.com U.S. Military)

Of course I'm used to clicks. I just wanted to give ComputerGuy a kick. After stressing the need for uber-clarity in direction giving, he used slang for kilometers, which is unfamiliar to a lot of new people here who have just arrived from the U.S.

I've got that right, right? A "click" is a kilometer? Brilliant. B)

Seriously, I think it's fun slang, I just don't think you can expect everybody to understand it.

Hmm. Interesting. I've never met an American who professed not to know what a click is. Until now.

In one thread we have people being chastised for not knowing about gas deliveries ("that was your mistake, because this is Mexico and you should know better.") And here we have posters being equally empathetic in quite the opposite direction ("which is unfamiliar to a lot of new people here who have just arrived from the U.S.")

I sure hope you ask me for directions someday, Travis.

Serenity6 is probably completely confused, and equally troubled, by this silly thread. She just wants to know how to get to Costco, either Costco. She's received confusing instructions to two different stores, via various routes. And on that note....

Serenity6, we need to go in a few days. I prefer to go during the week, during the day, when the stores are empty. If you want a ride, shoot me a pm. You can pick either Costco you want to visit. I'll show you that driving in Guadalajara is a lot like driving in Los Angeles. Takes a while to get the landscape, but after that, it's all the same.

This has become highly entertaining. (and I always thought the term klick sounded cool, but I had no clue what length it represented. Thanks for clearing that up. ; )

Travis, thank you so much for your offer. I prefer shopping during the week when stores are empty as well. If my spine cooperates and i am able to be ambulatory without drooling heavily from painkillers, it would be very helpful to ride shotgun while observing the guadalajuara process of driving.

Last night we watched an episode of "Homeland", which is a US-made television show. In the episode, they were conducting a CIA/military operation on the border of Iran, and they must have used the term "click" a hundred times. jajajaja.

On our first visit to the Costco across from the Galerias we studied the map of the route on Google Maps, programmed the address into the GPS in our car, and then proceeded to get totally lost. :huh: On our second visit to the same Costco, we printed out the Google Map along with handwritten annotations, programmed our GPS again, and then got lost again. :017:

Both times we were able to recover and get back on route, but it was unnerving to say the least. So I can totally empathize with Serenity6. I also agree with Computer Guy that more detailed instructions are better when telling a newbie about how to get around Guadalajara--the use of "clicks" notwithstanding. ^_^

The third time we went to the Costco on Lopez Mateo, which we found to be MUCH easier and faster by way of the Joco Bypass (use caution and watch for fallen rocks and loose animals on that bypass though). As noted by others, the exit to the Costco on Lopez Mateo can be tricky. I used the street view feature of Google Maps to virtually "drive" up the highway little by little until I could "see" what the exit looked like from the highway. I then did a screen capture of that view (press Crtl+PrintScreen, paste it Crtl+P into an image software like Paint if you have nothing else, and then print it). Having that visual clue with us in the car was most helpful. It was like having been there before, only virtually.

Another upside to going to the Costco on Lopez Mateo is that there is a Mega Store right next to it--double bonus. :D

Daisy, you give me hope. No matter how much I study maps, both online and old fashioned, I STILL get hopelessly lost. Then I fear of an accident as I'm preoccupied from looking for escape routes back to main roads. Within two hours im exhausted, peeved, and just want to drive straight home. I suppose I need to just put in the seat time.

And that suggestion of using google street view is an excellent idea!

WWII movies use "click".

I believe that is "klicks."

In military terms, a "klick" means a distance of 1000 meters (one kilometer, or .62 miles). So, if a Soldier radios, "We're 10 klicks south of your position," that means they are 10 kilometers away, or 6.2 miles away....

In "military-speak," the term "click" (spelled with a "c" instead of a "k") is used when sighting-in a weapon, such as a rifle. On most weapons, one "click" equals one second of arc, or -- in other words, one inch of distance at one hundred yards.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/f/faqklickdef.htm

For what it's worth, I have never in my 44 years heard anyone use the word 'klick'. It doesn't surprise me at all that someone might not know what it means.

(I did, but only because I learned it from a book many years ago -- a book written by a former naval officer born in 1907.)

Archived