Chapala.com Webboard

Inappropriate Art on the Malecon

Irish Gal

Several people, including Mexican women, have complained to Hector España, the delegado, about the tasteless art at the skateboard park. The image of a full breasted woman, depicted as a "kitty cat" is inappropriate for a children's park and offensive to women, in general.

Maybe some more people can mention to Hector that this image should be removed, since it serves no purpose except to portray women as sexual playthings.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Irish Gal. I have asked Hector to remove it, and he said he would, about 2 months ago. I was walking with a friend and she took this picture. I asked a few of the kids what they thought and they said it was gross. Here's the picture

rte0km.jpg

The image of a full breasted woman, depicted as a "kitty cat" is inappropriate for a children's park and offensive to women, in general.

Maybe some more people can mention to Hector that this image should be removed, since it serves no purpose except to portray women as sexual playthings.

This is Mexico and this attitude and type of expression is everywhere here. Evidently you don't watch their tv and telenovelas, and billboards, etc. Check out the "weather woman" sometime. All of this takes place in front of their children, and the only result that I see, is that it is perpetuated from one generation to the next. Most women here have learned their place by now, and how to maintain. :(

Art is always subjective, but should always be protected. Seems to me that you're ascribing your own feelings and thoughts to the general populace here. This is a different culture and I'm sure they have their own ideas about what is inappropriate. If they wanted it gone, if they thought their children were being harmed, or if the children themselves found it offensive, them I'm sure it would have been vandalized by now or painted over.

Standards of what is, and isn't, appropriate in a public place are always subjective. So, let's apply my "rule" of etiquette: Would you paint this on your front gate/wall? Would you paint this on your living room wall, or garden wall by the pool? If yes, then you have no problem with this (and frankly I'm glad you're not my neighbor).

Yeah...and let's put some pants on that statue of David while we're at it.

Are you saying the pussy is a "work of art"? (Yep, sounds like it.) How about we ask Victor to paint an "equal opportunity" male figure with donkey ears in a Speedo, or something that's equally sexist?

Frankly, I don't think this is a big enough issue to argue about. Matter of opinion. Obviously, the kids like it the way it is or it would have been defaced by now. Plenty of spray cans around.

Gee I guess you puritan souls should go to the grade school and paint out the boobs on the mural. Is the puddy cat art? Yes. Do I like it? Frankly No. Do I feel the need to paint over it because I don't like it? No. As Gringal said if the kids were upset by it they would have tagged the crap out of it. At the art festival "Burning Man" we had a saying. If something offends you turn your head and look at something that will inspire you.

Nothing to look at here folks....Move on

Would you settle for a silly little man wearing a dunce cap and gawking at the woman from the background?

I think that "dunce cap" explains the mentality. I see lots of Mexican female-male relationship symbolism in this "art".

It's definitely NOT "PC" - it's just common etiquette which apparently is in short supply in this century. I try very hard to live by a simple axiom "just because you can do it - doesn't mean you should" - it's almost universal, you can apply it to so much of culture here, there, you pick the place. I mean really people, we're old enough to have learned some decorum - or maybe not?

And just in case you're wondering about the meaning of "axiom": an axiom is a premise so evident as to be accepted as true without controversy

How about burning some books as well? Better still, how about minding your own business in a foreign country!

I was on a tour bus in Brussels when the guide took us to see Manneken Pis, the small bronze fountain sculpture depicting a naked little boy urinating into the fountain's basin. A pretentious holier-than-thou woman lost it. She was horrified and could hardly breathe. Quick someone, the smelling salts and a fan for this poor woman. She was in her seventies, so one can only assume she was a virgin and had never seen a penis before.

Furthermore, there is not one Belgian bothered about it (not even this one).

I find it a lot more shocking to see pictures of tortured death bodies on the frontpage of newspapers (what about that, as a message to children), but it is none of my business.... I just look away from it.

Frankly, aren't there more important issues that should be dealt with, especially with regards to respect of women, domestic violence,and women (with their little children) abandonned by there drunk abusive husband for example ?? And here, so much time and energy is wasted on a discussion about a drawing ??

Outing your own, personal value system on art in a foreign country is one thing, setting the right priorities another.

Rony

It is up to Mexican women to change it, changes in cultures come from women so it is all up to them.

Absitively posilutely correct. However, note that the accusations of puritanism are largely from the men on here. I seriously doubt that the nudes in painting and sculpture offend most of us. That's a naive comparison. I think the thing some are finding offensive is the attitude expressed in the drawing. It's not a girl: it's just a pussy. The leering guy in the background ........make of it what you will. If she were real, there'd be a whole gaggle of guys leering at her, especially in that getup.

And, let's be real: this is a very macho culture and from the looks of things, the majority of Mexican women bought into it long ago and aren't making much of a dent in it. If you doubt that, just look around with unpeeled eyes.

Rony,

Having been breast fed, along with my two siblings, I do not look upon a woman’s breast as a thing of lust, shame, and depravity as those who were nursed on the nipple of a bottle. Those who do should form a hammer brigade and sail for Florence, Italy and then on to Rome and smash all those affronts to human dignity and virtue.

It is not just against women..... what about the typical drawing of a Mexican, with moustache, sleeping under a cactus tree,.... an image seen all over the world,.... yes he wears clothes but not exactly flattering or respectful, is it.

Rony

I agree there are more pressing issues - but - and a big BUT - they are not on public display. Sadly marital violence and abuse are hidden in homes all over the world - so, why cheapen the image of women in public so some drunk can stagger by and think: wow, guess I'll go home and beat my old lady because she ain't that pretty"?

I agree there are more pressing issues - but - and a big BUT - they are not on public display. Sadly marital violence and abuse are hidden in homes all over the world - so, why cheapen the image of women in public so some drunk can stagger by and think: wow, guess I'll go home and beat my old lady because she ain't that pretty"?

The frontpage of a newspaper is not a public display ?

And if the problem is not on public display, it makes it less of an issue ??

Rony

For a foreigner, there is a thin, but dangerous line, between expressing your opinion (and that is ok) about a certain issue and pushing local politicians into doing something about it.

Archived