Chapala.com Webboard

There is a Thief in my house.

Bigrig1919

From what we've read about police/investigative work here, I doubt the efficacy of video surveillance. Who are you going to take your evidence to?

I worked at a local bazaar until recently that had a raft of shoplifting incidents. There are signs posted in the shop that says they have video surveillance, but I had to ask the question, so what? Are the volunteers going to know who and how to call for help? Are they expected to "apprehend" the perps?

No, I am afraid that the old "ounce of prevention" is the seeming rule here. If you are unsure of who is traipsing through your home, be sure there are no temptations in plain sight. If you suspect a "trusted" employee of involvement, again put all the really valuable easy to carry stuff out of reach.

A determined thief, not a thief of opportunity, will never be foiled, so it is up to you, for the other kind I guess, get things out of the line of opportunity.

Pretty foolish to go out when your house isn't locked up.

Here in Mexico it is a given you protect your property.

Last month my wife´s 18 year old niece left her purse on the back seat of her brother´s car at 1AM while they all went into another couple´s house for a snack after a concert. When they returned the back window was smashed and the purse gone. The next day we were all at the in law´s having a birthday party. When the niece arrived everyone argued she should pay for the new window and others argued her much older brother should pay for 1/2 as he was as stupid as she was for not checking his car before going into the house. No one said it was the thieves fault her purse was stolen and the window smashed.. This is a recurring theme I have seen many times in Mexico.

Forget the police , first you would have to report the theft to the MP and then show them the video and they may prosecute if you have enough valid evidence so I would not worry about it or spend my time going that route.

It is still important to know who the thief is, the gardner, the maid or one of the workers , then you know what action to take according to your comfort level.

If it is a worker you can speak with the foreman and threaten to fire everyone if the items do not get returned and have him fire the guys under threat of going to the police. If it is one of the regular employees you can do the same thing and you do not have to pay severance.

You never know may be the devices have not been sold and are being used by someone in their family.

From what we've read about police/investigative work here, I doubt the efficacy of video surveillance. Who are you going to take your evidence to?

I worked at a local bazaar until recently that had a raft of shoplifting incidents. There are signs posted in the shop that says they have video surveillance, but I had to ask the question, so what? Are the volunteers going to know who and how to call for help? Are they expected to "apprehend" the perps?

No, I am afraid that the old "ounce of prevention" is the seeming rule here. If you are unsure of who is traipsing through your home, be sure there are no temptations in plain sight. If you suspect a "trusted" employee of involvement, again put all the really valuable easy to carry stuff out of reach.

A determined thief, not a thief of opportunity, will never be foiled, so it is up to you, for the other kind I guess, get things out of the line of opportunity.

Walking around a lot when my wife is working and in malls I have seen shoplifters being held while the police arrive many times. It is not security guards in the few small businesses that are doing this but probably customers and staff. In the malls it is security guards. This actually attracts a large crowd and I guess I have seen it more times than I can remember. People here, men, seem willing to get involved in this sort of thing.

I saw a couple of young men chasing a youth down the street yelling. I walked another 1/2 block and a crowd was standing there all talking. It was at noon. I asked what´s going on. A lady said a lady at the ATM here had her purse stolen by a youth just now.

....or you should contact The New One and get furniture with hidden drawers, it worked for us. There was a break in at our home, but any valuable was stolen, the perps were not able to find it! . We only had to put new glasses at the window, this was the oly problem.

I was just thinking that, if I were working in a home with a surveillance camera pointed at me, I would be less likely to steal. I would really hate having a camera recording me at work...... I sure would not slack off, toss bed pillows on the floor or use a cloth I clean the kitchen with on the floor. I would be on my best behavior. Just one more piece of a security strategy.

The surveillance cameras in shops work best if there is also a monitor near the cash register so that people know that they can be seen. Many years ago, when I worked in a department store, they installed video surveillance. Most of the theft was perpetrated by employees and it really reduced the level of inventory shrinkage.

I was just thinking that if I were considering moving to Lakeside, and was reading this thread, I'd be reconsidering. I mean, I get what you all are saying, but locking my stuff in the trunk of my car when I go out? Camera's to watch the housekeeper? Maybe it's changed since we so very much enjoyed our summers there in 2010 and 2011.

I've been here 11 years. There's always been petty theft but it has picked up in the past 5 years and it is more brazen by household workers.

The younger housekeepers are not as trustworthy as those of the older generation. As far as workmen, even my Mexican neighbors tell me that the younger ones are not as trustworthy and they attribute this to 'bad habits' picked up in the US, by those who went north for work in the boom times, but came back in 2008 and later as the recession hit.

Employees steal from employers all over the world when given the oportunity. It is up to the employer to pick the right person , give that person firm rules on what her or his responsabilities are and what is acceptable and what is not. Leaving grey areas on responsabilities, like a bunch of workers in the outside and a maid inside without strict directions is asking for for trouble. Many people are honest but it is the bad apple that ruins it for everyone.

Once it happens it is difficult to trust anyone and you are better off starting from sratch, the cameras may protect you but who wants to live that way.

I was just thinking that if I were considering moving to Lakeside, and was reading this thread, I'd be reconsidering. I mean, I get what you all are saying, but locking my stuff in the trunk of my car when I go out? Camera's to watch the housekeeper? Maybe it's changed since we so very much enjoyed our summers there in 2010 and 2011.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

The cameras I'm getting are a little larger than a deck of cards. Very easy to hide. The instructional video suggest to put in a tissue box or a stuff animal, etc with a small hole for the lens. I think they will be great and cannot wait to get them. I think I will put mine in the base of a lamp. That way, I can wire power to them and still not be suspicus

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/category/hidden+cameras/black+box+hidden+cams.do#bottominternallink

You took the words right out of my mouth.

The point is if the OP had read this thread before his stuff became missing he would have locked his stuff in his office before heading out the door.

Have you ever wondered why the old stores have counters and much of the merchandize is displayed in the windows from the outside and have wire doors with locks on them inside and the rest of the merchandise in on shelves in rows behind a long counter and there are usually many clerks to help you? They ask what you want and go to the shelves and bring out what they have in stock for you to check out. Then you go to the cashier and pay after they write up a receipt for you. Hardware stores and many older style stores still do this and most stores did this 35 years ago, even the corner tienditas. Next time you are in a small town walk into a hardware or auto parts store.

Me, I could not going out to lunch or shopping if I were not sure that my valuables were safe. I always put my larger stuff (phones, laptop) out of sight when I go out, and I keep my money and jewelry in a safe behind some clothes in the closet. The safe was much less expensive than the stuff in it, and I consider it one of my better investments--yes, it can be pried out and stolen, but not by casual intruders or visitors! And I have bars on the windows, and I do not give a key to casual workers, even if it means that, like last week, I had to stay home some days. I have tested the maid and gardener by leaving money out, and I know they will not take things, but I also feel it is wicked to tempt them by leaving expensive things around. This is a poor country and your things may mean the difference between eating and not eating, medical care and no medical care, etc. Some people here are desperate, which does NOT excuse their behavior, but one has the be aware of the ways of the world. I would suggest to newcomers that they get to know the personal circumstances of their maid and gardener and be ready to help if help is needed. I consider that they are taking care of my needs and I will take care of theirs, to the extent possible. I consider this part of the bargain involved in living in Mexico. It may sound somewhat feudal, and it is, but it is also a loyal bond between worker and employer. I have no doubt that they would do whatever they could to help me if and when I needed help, and that means a lot to me. One never knows when one might need a little more help!!!

P.S. If people are reading this who are considering coming to live in Mexico, that is great! The more you know, the safer you will be! Read up, learn the culture, observe a few precautions, and you will be happy here. I read forums online for a year before I moved here, and boy did that pay off!

I always take my valuables and lock them in the trunk of my car, lock my car, and keep the key in my pocket when having anyone I don´t know very well in my house, workers, party etc.. [...]

We do this as well - but remember to lock your trunk with a key because if you have an automatic opener/lock and your doors are unlocked, your trunk will be as well - in Guadalajara, at stop lights, people have been known to open the trunk and run off with stuff.

My wife's cousin bought his first house in Mexico 28 years ago. He still lives here with his wife and loves it.

When we were first considering moving down from NOB, I was asking him about crime, theft owning property, etc in Mexico.

He said he has lived here happily with one major policy. He never buys anything, homes, property, personal items, etc that he cannot afford to lose.

Well everyone has his or her tolerance, my house is my castle and only trusted people have the run of it, if anyone breaks my trust there is hell to pay and that goes anywhere I live and for anyone around me. Mexico is not different from the US in that regard: there are honest people and there are thieves.

Accept that people are thieves or that you can lose anything of value and you will have thieves and will lose things.

For us, the key is to have Mexican family connections to every work interaction that includes entry to our home. Our next door neighbors are related to or are life-long friends of the people who do work for us. We go out of our way to leave the premises to let them do their thing when they are working here if the work doesn't involve our design input. After eight years, we have lost exactly nothing. And we have made a lot of new friends. The fact that they invite us to their family milestone fiestas, like weddings, birthdays, baptisms and anniversaries makes it all the more a milieu of friendship and trust. At our beach home in La Manzanilla today, our house cleaner, Chela, saw some guy drive up to our house and start scoping it out. So she confronted him and learned that he was from the SKY satellite network. He told her that we owed his company $300 pesos and she got all upset. But she called us here on Lake Chapala from our phone, somewhat hysterical, and I had her put the guy on the phone with me. We got everything worked out (I owe them nothing, but I want service restarted in December). It wasn't a day that she works at our place, but she lives around the corner and saw the guy and went to investigate. We feel protected by a surround of mutual caring, both here on Lake Chapala and at our beach home. Viva Mexico!

Archived