Chapala.com Webboard

Red Cross Chapala

Yesterday I had an unfortunate incident with my horse. I needed an x-ray of my chest (sternum) I really thought something was broken. A lot of pain, great difficulity in breathing, etc.

I was taken to the Red Cross in Chapala. They were great. The American doctor was very thorough and I had an x-ray and he then gave me an injection of an anti-inflamatory drug. The injection would work faster than a pill. He did a very good job of explaining the reason for the pain, breathing problem,swollen leg, etc. I think they did a great job taking care of me. I left there knowing that I did not have broken bones.

Thanks for the good work.

In your situation, that was an excellent choice. X- rays on their new machine, when they have the film or whatever, are the best and least expensive in lakeside. They also give good shots, if the medication needed is available to them at the time you need them. How would you feel about your experience if they could not take an x-ray nor give you the medication that you required? That is what the other thread is about. I am delighted that you had a positive experience with Cruz Roja Chapala. I think most folks do. I, too, hope that you paid a lot more than the minimum prices given to you for the services provided to you.

We wanted to take an opportunity to express appreciation to/for Dr. Sam. He is clearly a physician who would be making much more money North of the border but he is living Lakeside giving of himself to the community. Muchas Gracias, Dr. Sam.

The X-Ray maching that Cruz Roja has is digital and therefore it doesn't use film. It's the best machine in the area.

exactly! So even if they were out of the transparencies to print it on, they are still able to look at the xray on the computer.

The red cross is am amazing organization. As a nurse I have always loved them. All of the women in my family have been volunteers, from grey ladies to candy stripers. My mom is current on the DAT team. Disaster relief. She is 70 but found that with the red cross she is valued for her experience and knowledge, not dismiss as, in her words, "an old lady"

hope you paid a good donation too.

I wish we could get away from "donation" and get used to "fee for service" ....CR has a list showing the costs for treatments etc...think of them as an other clinic in town and has to be a cost center, (but should be profit (small) center if we expect professional service)

I wish we could get away from "donation" and get used to "fee for service" ....CR has a list showing the costs for treatments etc...think of them as an other clinic in town and has to be a cost center, (but should be profit (small) center if we expect professional service)

I think we need to remember that Cruz Roja serves the entire population, not just expats, and as such is the go to spot for many people who can't afford to pay for services.

I think we need to remember that Cruz Roja serves the entire population, not just expats, and as such is the go to spot for many people who can't afford to pay for services.

Then I guess there is Seguro Popular/IMSS..why should the CR acept the monkey..where does the MX Gov stand on helping its poor

Then I guess there is Seguro Popular/IMSS..why should the CR acept the monkey..where does the MX Gov stand on helping its poor

The Mexican gov't does not give ANY aid to Cruz Roja. it is supported by donations.

Do you know that in public schools here the parents supply the toilet paper and arrange for cleaning the school and toilets?

The Mexican government does VERY little if anything to help its poor.

Seguro Popular , DIF, and other organizations cost nothing & help the poor. IMSS is suported by Employers paying into IMSS, similar Social Security in the USA.

Lakeside is more dependent on Red Cross than many other areas, and would be mudh less than what it is, if Charlie K & others had not been who they are/and what they do to improve the services. I can speak with clarity on this issue after living Lakeside 14 years and witnessing Charlie K's efforts.

"Hats off" to the Expats that have stepped forth with their efforts & money. AND shame on those that expect the services & do

not contribute.

The Mexican gov't does not give ANY aid to Cruz Roja. it is supported by donations.

Do you know that in public schools here the parents supply the toilet paper and arrange for cleaning the school and toilets?

The Mexican government does VERY little if anything to help its poor.

For a person to live in Mexico for such a long time and not know about it´s social programs and medical care for the underprivileged seems a bit alienated.

Calderon opened enrollment and services in the Seguro Popular at no charge over 2 years ago if people did not belong to IMSS or other medical programs like ISSSTE, Pemex, Municipal fire fighters and police programs etc.

DIF has 1/2 a dozen programs the underprivileged can enroll in also including rehabs, orphanages, adoptions, rescue housing for the abused, psychiatric centers and self support food programs also for free.

It appears Mexico does take care of it´s poor.

There are gov´t mortgages available, INFONAVIT, that have low interest, low down payments for housing all over Mexico for workers.

http://portal.infonavit.org.mx/wps/wcm/connect/infonavit/inicio

"Your employer must notify the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS) every time your employment status changed, for example, if you stop working there, if your salary increases, if you're on disability, if you come back or if you have already retired .

If you have a credit Infonavit, your employer deducted from your paycheck to pay each month and send money to Infonavit for payment. This happens as soon as he receives the document called a Notice of Suspension and Retention Schedule Discounts Determination or quotas, Contributions and Amortization, which includes your credit number and percentage or deducted amount."

Archived