Chapala.com Webboard

HACIENDA AJIJIC RESTAURANT REVIEW

newinajijic

Last Friday May 21, thirteen of us from our Bi Monthly Dinner group ate at Hacienda Ajijic. We ordered our drinks which were promptly delivered. Some had wine, some had various mixed drinks. We were served tortilla chips and 3 different spreads plus fresh made salsa. They replenished everything as necessary. Eight of us ordered Filet Mignon, some ordered it with mushrooms, while others ordered it with red wine sauce. The meal comes with a baked potato with sour cream on it. One person ordered Chicken Molcajete another ordered Fajitas, another ordered Quesadillas, another ordered Shrimp Diablo and one person ordered Fettucine Alfredo with Mushrooms.

Everyone liked their food. I personally asked the people who ordered Filet Mignon if they liked it and if it was done to their order. They said a resounding yes.

None of us had dessert. I know I'm a big fan of Hacienda Ajijic and I get criticized on this forum for it when I compare it to Ajijic Tango, but I'll say it again. Hacienda Ajijic has the best, largest and juciest Filet Mignon at Lakeside. It is twice the size of Tango's single Filet and much more juicy and tender. Tamgo's is $ 105. pesos - Hacienda is $ 140. pesos and well worth the difference for the size. Enough said.

I will go and look at Hacienda Ajijic's wine list next week. I will personally speak to the Owner Jorge, if he's there and if not, I will speak to Omar the Manager. I will lodge the complaint and tell them of your dissatisfactions and that they are losing business because of their prices.

They both know me well from bringing the group there and one of our Dinner group couples dine there a lot, so they know we're friends.

Did you have a chance to talk to the manager about his wine prices, which were discussed in a thread in March/April of this year? Other posters felt his prices were out of line; I can't recall if they are. Have been there a few times; his rabbit is excellent as is his lamb arrechera.

Did you have a chance to talk to the manager about his wine prices, which were discussed in a thread in March/April of this year? Other posters felt his prices were out of line; I can't recall if they are. Have been there a few times; his rabbit is excellent as is his lamb arrechera.

Bisbee Gal - This is the first time we've been back to Hacienda since I made that post. I asked for Omar, the Manager, but he no longer works there and has returned to his home city of Monterrey. Jorge, the owner was not there either, otherwise I would have spoken to him.

You are correct as their wine prices by the bottle are outrageous.

We ate there on Sunday and it was 5 on a 1-10 scale. Bake potato not quite done (what kind of a moron can't cook a bake potato properly??)Had the vacio steak, barely medium when ordered med rare. Service was good however. I happen to think that Bruno's has the best filet, best bake potatoes and great salad included in the price of the meal, 120p for the baseball filet.

Last Friday May 21, thirteen of us from our Bi Monthly Dinner group ate at Hacienda Ajijic. We ordered our drinks which were promptly delivered. Some had wine, some had various mixed drinks. We were served tortilla chips and 3 different spreads plus fresh made salsa. They replenished everything as necessary. Eight of us ordered Filet Mignon, some ordered it with mushrooms, while others ordered it with red wine sauce. The meal comes with a baked potato with sour cream on it. One person ordered Chicken Molcajete another ordered Fajitas, another ordered Quesadillas, another ordered Shrimp Diablo and one person ordered Fettucine Alfredo with Mushrooms.

Everyone liked their food. I personally asked the people who ordered Filet Mignon if they liked it and if it was done to their order. They said a resounding yes.

None of us had dessert. I know I'm a big fan of Hacienda Ajijic and I get criticized on this forum for it when I compare it to Ajijic Tango, but I'll say it again. Hacienda Ajijic has the best, largest and juciest Filet Mignon at Lakeside. It is twice the size of Tango's single Filet and much more juicy and tender. Tamgo's is $ 105. pesos - Hacienda is $ 140. pesos and well worth the difference for the size. Enough said.

Tango has a 400 gr. filet for 120 pesos that seems larger than the H.A. filet--also better flavor. I know Tango uses all imported beef from US or Canada--not sure about H.A. My main complaint about H.A. is the potato situation. Last time there (and never again)--no baked potato--only some kind of wedge fries?? and only 3 or 4 of them. They are not consistent and don't seem to have a grasp on running a steak house like Tango does.

slainte39 - We have eaten at Tango since the first week they opened. There is no way that the small Filet is 400 grams and $ 120 pesos. I believe it's $ 105. pesos for the small Filet, unless they raised their prices AGAIN, which I wouldn't doubt it. The small Filet used to be $ 90. pesos. I believe you might be mixing up the small Filet with the Filet for two which is $ 160 or $ 180 pesos.

We have been eating at Hacienda since the first week they opened. They have NEVER served french fries with their steaks, it's always been a baked potato.

Hacienda Ajijic is as consistent as Ajijic Tango and their service is better. At least you can talk at your table at Hacienda, wheras there is so much noise at Tango that you have to shout across the table to have a conversation.

We do not eat at Tango anymore because ALL the food at HACIENDA is better, there is a better selection at Hacienda and there is no parking problem like Tango has.

slainte39 - We have eaten at Tango since the first week they opened. There is no way that the small Filet is 400 grams and $ 120 pesos. I believe it's $ 105. pesos for the small Filet, unless they raised their prices AGAIN, which I wouldn't doubt it. The small Filet used to be $ 90. pesos. I believe you might be mixing up the small Filet with the Filet for two which is $ 160 or $ 180 pesos.

We have been eating at Hacienda since the first week they opened. They have NEVER served french fries with their steaks, it's always been a baked potato.

Hacienda Ajijic is as consistent as Ajijic Tango and their service is better. At least you can talk at your table at Hacienda, wheras there is so much noise at Tango that you have to shout across the table to have a conversation.

We do not eat at Tango anymore because ALL the food at HACIENDA is better, there is a better selection at Hacienda and there is no parking problem like Tango has.

Here you go again ... posting your review is fine, but as soon as someone disagrees you tell them they are wrong. Despite what you think, there are people around here who have their own opinions, which are just as valid as yours.

BTW the last time I was at HA you couldn't hear yourself think because of the loud music. And, IMHO, ALL the food at Tango is better than HA.

We know for a fact that friends of ours were approached by Jorge to invest in Hacienda Ajijic. They initially showed some interest and had a few meetings with him.

They declined after doing their due dilligence.

Reading the reviews on this restaurant for these many months one has to wonder if Jorge did indeed find his investor.

Have a great day ya'all!

I doubt he was looking for an investor for Hacienda Ajijic restaurant since it's already well established and doing well. He could have been looking for investors for his new restaurant in Chapala called La Copa de Cammaron.

This is the first that I've heard that he might have been looking for investors, as I would have heard of it from friends who eat there all the time and know Jorge very well.

What do the reviews have to do with finding an investor? The few negative reviews of a few people on this board do NOT represent people living at Lakeside. Look at how many cars are there around 1 - 2 PM, sometimes the lot is full.

Well they did once--not serve baked potato--but that's not as important as the consensus of my friends and family that Hacienda Ajijic and Ajijic Tango are not even in the same league--with Tango being the much superior facility. Of course, I realize that this is all opinions and not science, so keep that in mind when deciding where to go. We should all go to the place we like best and let the other fella do the same. Now how about Burger King vs. McDoanalds???

I doubt he was looking for an investor for Hacienda Ajijic restaurant since it's already well established and doing well. He could have been looking for investors for his new restaurant in Chapala called La Copa de Cammaron.

This is the first that I've heard that he might have been looking for investors, as I would have heard of it from friends who eat there all the time and know Jorge very well.

What do the reviews have to do with finding an investor? The few negative reviews of a few people on this board do NOT represent people living at Lakeside. Look at how many cars are there around 1 - 2 PM, sometimes the lot is full.

Wrong John in your assumption. It was for Hacienda Ajijic.

However after reading your many postings on this restaurant over any other, in such glowing terms, one could assume, tongue in cheek, that you were the silent partner!

Have a great weekend!

Archived