Chapala.com Webboard

Recommendations for Good Antivirus/Malware Protection

With the increasing threats to our computer systems we're considering buying protection instead of continuing to use the freebies. Any thoughts/recommendations? We have two laptops - one with Windows 7 and the other with Windows 10. Thanks

For the past several years I have been using Wisecare 365 on all of our computers, be they Win 7 or Win 10. The programme (Englsih spelling) has many useful features and you can download a free trial version.  No doubt you will be inundated with information on this topic and you will be able to make a good choice.  

• Thanks 1

I've switched to a Chromebook since it is inherently virus proof, as well as many benefits that Windows can't offer. BTW, this is from someone who did professional training for Microsoft software...

Every Chromebook comes with built-in security protection so you’re safe from the moment you open your new Chromebook. ChromeOS also comes with multiple layers of security and updates without interruption*.

*See how long a device is eligible for updates 

• Thanks 1

Windows 7 stopped receiving updates in 2020, so you're on your own with that. As for Win 10, Microsoft's in-built malware service is enough. Aftermarket software solutions play on folks' apprehensions and ignorance, and are generally unneeded. They exist to make you feel better because you paid something.

Beyond that, don't do stupid stuff. No browser toolbars, for example. Remember, the answer is always No, until you affirmatively determine that it's Yes. If some reasonably well-regarded software asks to install something extra, that's a No, for example.

Folks recall with horror the bad old days, when Microsoft wanted to be everybody's portal to the web, but provided no responsible protections. Those days are over. Just don't do stupid stuff.

Or use Linux, like me. 😉

LQ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Security: When considering a fresh installation, ChromeOS is arguably more secure than PopOS or other Linux distros. Minimalism greatly reduces the attack surface and ChromeOS was designed with security in mind using sandboxing and limited user write access.--- Mar 11, 2023

56 minutes ago, Frijoles said:

Excuse my ignorance, but are you referring to pinning a website to the taskbar?

Not to speak for Lou, but in FireFox browser, you can add "add-ons" or extensions and they are like apps on a cellphone, just added items that can control your browsing under the guise of making it simpler for you. They each are installed and have some sort of control and bad people can use these add-ons to get inside your computer, you allowed the add-on so now they are allowed in.

Pinning a website is just adding a link to it, so no, not the same. Maybe click on "Tools" at the top, that is were I have the "Add-ons" link.

I too use Linux, back home.... I LOVE IT!  Here I have the old MacBook we leave behind (I am not a fan of Apple).

• Thanks 1